New Elevator System?

CruzerDeb

53 minutes ago, v3cruiser said:

sounds like a mess. how does this new system work when there are multiple people waiting to go up to various floors in one elevator?

If done correctly, there shouldn't be multiple people going to various floors on the same elevator.

For starters, on embarkation day, they had workers stationed outside of the elevators directing people to certain elevators.  In our case, we wanted to go to Deck 11.  The worker told us that elevator X was the one to get on along with anyone going to Deck 4.  Inside, there was another worker that was over riding the system and stopped it at Deck 4, then Deck 11.  I'm not sure how long that they did it on embarkation day.

Where they fail is a lack of signage telling people how to use them.  If done correctly, they would work fine.

Let's say I'm on Deck 11 with four people in my group.  I want to go to Deck 3.  I press Deck 3 four times.  It tells me to get on elevator R.  The four of us get on.  Now there's 6 people on Deck 7 that also want to go to Deck 3.  One person hits Deck 3 only once.  Now when the elevator stops on Deck 7, there are now ten of us on the elevator that should only have 5.

The elevator then stops at Deck  5.  The door opens and nobody is there.  That's because the people that called for it decided to get on another elevator that came first.  

The elevator now stops at Deck 4  and ten people are standing there trying to get on because the elevator thinks that there are only the original 5 that called for it correctly.  The elevators will not hold twenty people so either half of them get on or none of them do and they have to start all over again.

We were on the Horizon for eight days.  At the end of the cruise, the passengers still hadn't got the hang of it because there is no signs telling you how to use them.  My Sister in Law said that where they screwed up is that the system after hitting the floor you want should ask how many passengers are in your group.  That makes sense.

Edited by RWolver672
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

One of the biggest problems I saw was people did just what you said...you press a button to which floor you want to go to. For the system to work right, you have to push the button based on how many people are in your group.  

For example, if there are 4 people in your group, you have to push the button 4 times. When I was on Horizon a few weeks ago most groups were not doing this. 

Geez this sounds like fun -NOT

Maybe we should be booking an elevator ahead of time, on-line?

Who dreamed up this too-clever nightmare??

Want to bet they go back to normal elevators?

2 hours ago, jmcathome said:

Now the are so cheap they are taking the buttons off the elevators. Do they have classes for they new elevatorsJust like Carnival and techology works get rid of it fast

So you are the new one ......

6 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

How does the system know if you need room for a scooter or stroller?

The video showed him being advised after each entry on the pad which elevator to wait for. So if you have 4 people and the first three entries fill up an elevator, does the fourth person have to wait for another elevator. Can’t see that happening either.

What happens with a regular elevator system if you wait with 4 other people, they get in and fill the elevator up? You squeeze in or hit the button again. This would be no different.

Edited by Saint Greg

21 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

They manage in New Orleans hotels

I'm sure they do. Eventually, with some assistance.

Maybe it's because I'm not North American but I'm not infatuated with technology.

So many times I see a "better mousetrap" being invented when

1) the mousetrap was already viable and perfect

2) it wasn't broken, so there's no real need to replace it.

But humanity seeks novelty, so Enjoy!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

I'm sure they do. Eventually, with some assistance.

Maybe it's because I'm not North American but I'm not infatuated with technology.

I’ve never seen anyone need assistance with those elevators. You type in your floor or scan your room key and it tells you which elevator to get in. Has there been a time when I wasn’t paying attention and got in the wrong elevator? Yep. That can happen with regular elevators as well.

6 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

It is my understanding that one of the reasons they implemented this was to eliminate the kids hitting every button on the elevators, then getting off or having them just ride up and down making it hard for anyone else to get on them.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I’ve never seen anyone need assistance with those elevators. You type in your floor or scan your room key and it tells you which elevator to get in. Has there been a time when I wasn’t paying attention and got in the wrong elevator? Yep. That can happen with regular elevators as well.

On the Horizon, it was a touch screen.   No typing or scanning room key.  It had all of the floors listed.  You just touch the floor you wanted to go on and it would tell you which elevator to get on.  Then you had to keep doing it for each person in your group.  It would be better if they could change it to once you pick the floor, then it asks how many in your party.   

Edited by RWolver672
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

It is my understanding that one of the reasons they implemented this was to eliminate the kids hitting every button on the elevators, then getting off or having them just ride up and down making it hard for anyone else to get on them.  

OK that's making sense!

On the other hand, parents could ........... oh never mind.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

On the Horizon, it was a touch screen.   No typing or scanning room key.  It had all of the floors listed.  You just touch the floor you wanted to go on and it would tell you which elevator to get on.  Then you had to keep doing it for each person in your group.  It would be better if they could change it to once you pick the floor, then it asks how many in your party.   

That’s what I mean. Touch not type. Excuse me. Sounds the same except without the room key scanning option. I’ve never been in one of those hotels with more than 1 other person so I don’t know about the rest of it.

Edited by Saint Greg

37 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

Problem is...kids were still doing it on the horizon...just from the outside on the touch pad.   touch every floor and the elevator will be stopping at those with nobody to get on.    I cant tell you how many times we stopped at floors where nobody was there.

When you get on the elevator, the side shows all the floors you will be stopping at.   I am the only one on there and its already scheduled to stop at 5 other floors--and surprise..get to each one with no one there.   Part of the reason its taking so long for one to show up for actual people waiting

Then we had the elevator full of teenagers that kept hitting the open door button when it would be shutting the doors to leave a floor and laughing--like several times each floor.   I finally turned to the 16 year  old 6ft something young man and told him "that's enough".   He looked at me and laughed, but he did stop.

Edited by bingomamma19
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

You can enter the desired floor an extra couple of times to allocate the required space. Regardless if you do that or not, it really won't make a difference as the majority of passengers on cruise ships (regardless of cruise operator) do not have elevator etiquette. The majority of passengers, from what I have seen, dart in front of wheelchairs and scooters and/or don't shift to make room in the elevator. In addition, most passengers seem to have issues waiting for people to exit the elevator car prior to entering the elevator. 

My question was mostly rhetorical since I know about etiquette now and would not expect people to change. Just pointing out additional problems with the system. I’ll bet you can’t find one person on the Horizon who needs extra space that enters more than one number.

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

What happens with a regular elevator system if you wait with 4 other people, they get in and fill the elevator up? You squeeze in or hit the button again. This would be no different.

Exactly. But I was also pointing out that the way the system was demonstrated, the elevator was announced after each entry. Thus if the system thought the elevator was full, it would assign some in the party to a second elevator. And if there was room to squeeze into the first elevator, do we think they would wait because it wasn’t their assigned elevator.??

Bad system——for a cruise ship.

38 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

Does anyone here really think this will deter any mischief makers? Kids are not dumb. Just stand at a pad and call elevators for multiple people going to multiple floors. This actually makes it easier in that they don’t even have to enter an elevator to push buttons.

22 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

That’s what I mean. Touch not type. Excuse me. Sounds the same except without the room key scanning option. I’ve never been in one of those hotels with more than 1 other person so I don’t know about the rest of it.

That’s why it would work fine in a hotel. One or two people on an elevator. Not 20 people waiting on one floor.

I was on Horizon in February for a family cruise and we had no issues figuring it out. Simply select the deck you wish to go to and repeat it for each additional passenger. 

The issues that occurred are like what has been mentioned before. Some passengers would call the elevator once for their group of 4. There was also the passenger that would see that cart 'x' was going to their desired deck, skipping calling for the cart altogether. Obviously this throws the system off and in turn doesnt work how it's intended. 

My solution would be to add a 'how many passengers' option after deck selection. Simply choose your deck, enter the number of passengers, and find your assigned elevator. Also, eliminate the screen above the elevators that indicate which cart is going where. This would force everyone to check-in at the call screen.

• Thanks 1

I think the biggest source of the elevator problem was going from 8 forward elevators (4 regular, 4 glass) on Dream-class to 4 elevators on Vista. Then they had to find some system to do more with less. I will say a bright spot was we saw a record number of people waiting on the elevator say, "hey, we can just take the stairs to go one level," because the elevators were taking so long.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Carnival ships are light on elevators, these “upgraded” one are supposed to be more efficient.  You press a button to which floor you want to go to and it tells you which elevator it will be.  

It is an improvement and will work if the people will let it.

Hi Jimbo ☺️

I was on a 8-night and 6-night B2B Breeze sailing in May of 2015 when Carnival implemented the testing of the pilot program for the smart elevators. Of course the Breeze does not have the elevator system, however the Breeze was the test ship. The touch pads were slightly different; they rested on pedestals & there wasn't a screen above the elevators.

Everything else & the concept was the same. Press a button on the touch pad in which deck you wanted to go, then it instructed you to which elevator to wait for. It was terrific! 

The system worked really well when coming back from a port as well. There wasn't long waits, clogs or crowds. The system helped in regards to crowd control.

The pilot test system was installed overnight. We were given notice & instructions in our stateroom. It was amazing how quickly the transformation occurred. We literally woke up one morning to a new elevator system.

That all being said, after about 3 or 4 days we began to see touch pads on the floor, ripped off their pedestals & some were smashed. As quickly as they were installed, they were removed & elevator buttons replaced. 

I thought the system was awesome, easy & extremely efficient. It was disheartening to see the change, the improvement, vandalised & not given a chance.

🌴

Edited by PortSideCruzan
  • Like 1

Old people, or people who are set in their ways will not accept change and especially when it comes to technology.

Back in the day, these people whined and moaned about the automobile, and telephones.

The only thing constant in life is change.

• Like 1

Even with the old style elevators people don't always use them correctly.  I frequently see people push the down button but then get on the first elevator the opens even if it has the up arrow illuminated.  During busy times this causes problems because now those people are taking up space on an elevator going in the wrong direction for them and they sometimes prevent other people from being able to get on.  I've heard comments like "I know it's the wrong elevator but it will eventually get me to where I want to go".  That's fine unless the elevator fills up and they prevent other people access to the elevator.

Those saying they should add something to ask how many people is a great idea.  That would certainly take care of that problem of people that don't know to hit the button once for each in their party.