Redoing and Renaming ships - what is the reason?

Oceansaway17

On 4/7/2019 at 5:03 AM, RWolver672 said:

The only ships that were ever in the Destiny Class

were the Destiny, the Triumph and the Victory. 

After a few years (I don't remember exactly) they changed it

because the Destiny had one less deck.  The Destiny was in a class by itself

and the other two became the Triumph Class. 

When the Conquest came out, she was the first of the Conquest Class.

Have a look here to see it all laid out, with years, tonnage, LOA etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Cruise_Line#Current_Fleet

1 hour ago, Micah's Grandad said:

In my world a 20 plus year old ship is not a brand new one no matter how much renovation is done to her.

I have not and plan not to sail the Sunshine. One of our favorite things on a ship is comedy club and the Sunshine;s is terribly lacking in size.

Obviously you can sail or not sail any ship or line you want, I find it amazing that the VAST majority of people who strongly dislike these wonderful redo’s (you can call them whatever you like) have never been on them.  In more than several ways their makeover makes them unique and better than a new ship can be.

• Like 2

Wow, after reading this thread I am going to cancel my 8 day cruise on the Sunrise out of NY in September.

NOT!

So looking forward to it and this thread has me more intrigued to sail on her for my 60th.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Micah's Grandad said:

In my world a 20 plus year old ship is not a brand new one no matter how much renovation is done to her.

I have not and plan not to sail the Sunshine. One of our favorite things on a ship is comedy club and the Sunshine;s is terribly lacking in size.

We have sailed on Sunshine and the size of the Limelight Lounge is one of the biggest reasons we will likely never cruise on her again. 

As much as I like the Havana Bar area on Sunshine, removing the aft pool has resulted in the Lido pool and Serenity area being way too crowded on Sunshine. 

Based on the deck plans for Sunrise and Radiance, it looks like Carnival has learned from these “mistakes”.  The layout of the Limelight Lounge is different and they are not removing the aft pool. 

• Like 1

I'm sure marketing plays into it as it always will but it's not the only factor.  Consider it from a business standpoint, overhauling/refurbishing vs building brand new.  The cost difference of overhauling an existing ship verses building a brand new ship even of similar size.  The older a ship is more there's only so much can be done to update it without making major changes to layout/cabins, public areas, and venues.   They do mention in their ship descriptions of these rebranded ships that they have been rebranded, though it's not plastered all over the advertising so those not familiar with cruising could easy think "new ship" when it's only partially new, the shell and much of the guts are the same but from an appearance and feature standpoint it is newish.  

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 7:54 AM, jimbo5544 said:

Obviously you can sail or not sail any ship or line you want, I find it amazing that the VAST majority of people who strongly dislike these wonderful redo’s (you can call them whatever you like) have never been on them.  In more than several ways their makeover makes them unique and better than a new ship can be.

The nice thing about CC is people cruise on ships and give out their reasons for likes and dislikes. As a result do not have to sail on the Sunrise to know that this is not a ship for us.

Liked the Triumph when she was convenient for us to get to and will see what happens to her and decide accordingly. 

6 minutes ago, Micah's Grandad said:

The nice thing about CC is people cruise on ships and give out their reasons for likes and dislikes. As a result do not have to sail on the Sunrise to know that this is not a ship for us.

Liked the Triumph when she was convenient for us to get to and will see what happens to her and decide accordingly. 

As I said, it is obviously your choice, but she will be in your back yard (so to speak)....