Infant Travelers - Would you do it again

I read a bunch of the posts about traveling with infants but I am curious if you would do it again.  I am considering a cruise with my 18 month old.  I know kids are all different but I am curious as to your experiences. 

1) Was there enough to keep the kid entertained?

2) How did you get him/her around the islands?

3) Did you use the infant care service?

I am looking at the Anthem in December and I live in NJ so flying isn't an issue.

I would only do it if I had no other option.  It was difficult because of nap schedules and having to miss many activities because of it.  Not having access to bottle warmers/microwave, having to lug diapers with you, etc., was not enjoyable.  The cruise line staff were very accommodating in feeding, etc, and had no problem pureeing fruits, veggies, finding milk, etc.

Our kids are grown now, but our first two cruises as a family were when the youngest was 29 months and 15 months (next he turned two the day before boarding). This was back before even Disney had a nursery for under three year olds and before splash areas for diapered kids was a thing.   We loved it and found cruising to be most relaxing vacation with a little one.  The room was always nearby for naps or diaper changes or new clothes, plenty of snacks around, interesting things for our toddler to look at and explore, etc.

We didn't do much in ports.  Mostly went to beaches we could walk to using an umbrella stroller.  

It wasn't the same as a cruise with an older kid, or no kid and we didn't try to make it into that.  But it was a great way for us to relax and unwind with a baby in tow.

• Like 1

There is a lot of threads about traveling with infants/toddlers all with a lot of different opinions. We went on a family cruise and my niece brought her then 1yo. She had lots of help during the day but at night she and her husband both went to bed early with the baby most nights. They had a great time.   But I think they did a great job of agreeing beforehand how they would handle nights and naptimes during the day. 

I think you have to decide if you want to deal with the limitations of having a young child on a cruise.   It can still be a great family vacation. But you will be hands on most of the time with your 18mo. If not all the time. We never did it, but with my niece I saw it could be done. Still better than cooking and cleaning and lots of family quality time.   It’s all about expectations. 

• Like 1

Did Anthem with he was 6 months old, Brilliance when 12 months old, and Indy when 17 months old. We had an excellent time on all 3 cruises. We used the nursery 4 times across all 3 cruises, not because of any issue with the nursery (they were great) but because we were enjoying time with our son. 

The best advice I can give is to keep to your schedule you have at home. If nap time is around noon, ensure they go down for their naps at that time, if bed time is around 7:30, make sure they go down at that time. You get into trouble when you mess with the schedule. 

As for entertainment, our son loves music and there Is always an abundance of that around the ship. He also loved the diaper splash area for babies on Indy (I don't remember if anthem offers this). Most of our day was walking around, letting him nap, and explore what the ship had to offer. Open play time (anthem has a large open play area) was a great way to run out some energy. 

We didn't do much on any of the islands, other than brief walks into the port (maybe 30 minutes total off the boat) followed by a hasty retreat back to get him out of the sun or the warmth. 

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best when it comes to traveling with an infant and you should do just fine. 

• Like 2

Difference in age but took my just turned 2(3 weeks before), 5 and 8yr old with me. Did again yr later. I'd do it again but you need decide as sure lot would not. If you do probably want take cruise on ship that has small swim area for non-diaper trained as not allowed in regular pools. None of ships had them when I took my Wee One, but was fortunate as my 2yr old was 100% pottie trained day and nite. Was fortunate as my 2yr old loved Main Shows while other 2 were in Kids Program at nite. We'd sit up in Balcony off to side. She is now a Great Dancer does her own Choreography. Was single Father raising 3 so most of time we Vacationed/Cruised with just me. On one of our Cruises Grand Parents came, helpful with extra Adults. Was a plus when my oldest got her permit at 15, she was and is an Excellent Driver(like Dad). And bring a lighter/mobile stroller, not the biggest/heavy or cheapest hard to push. Lot of walking...

Edited by ONECRUISER

You aren't going to "entertain" an infant on a cruise any easier than you could at home.  Having to care for an infant will take away from the things you can do on the cruise and would limit your enjoyment but there is still a good argument to be made for going.

Isn't it still better to have someone else do all the cooking and cleaning for a week?

You are still getting away from home and getting to experience new things.

We've done it and certainly would again.  We did cruise Carnival at the time and they had great infant babysitting.  We took an umbrella stroller not one of the big ones that gets in everyone's way and used that.  We also had a backpack to carry her in and daddy carried her around onboard and on shore.  Nap time meant Mommy got a nap, yay, and then I could stay up with hubby while she was at infant babysitting.  The crew were great and so were the fellow guests making a fuss over her.  The dining room brought mashed food for her so we did not need most of the baby food we brought.  I personally love cruising with young kids. 

Thank you all.  You all confirmed my thoughts about traveling with him.  Guess my wife and I have some chatting to do.  We just got back from renting a house in Florida and it went well with him but I wasn't a fan of cooking and doing dishes etc.  There is a part of me that thinks a cruise is a great idea and there is part of me that thinks I am crazy.  6 one way, half dozen the other.....

My son is 4 and we embark on his 10th cruise today.  His first cruise was at 10 months old.  It's just a different cruise experience.  There is more events during the day you go to, less night life for the adults.  It was fine.  I would do it again.  It was not overly difficult or a hassle for us.  Getting around some islands can be difficult because their vans are usually unsafe, bald tire trashmobiles, but same issue whether you have the child or not.  

It was family vacation.  

We brought our then 13 month old on a cruise last year, and we all had a great time. I think as long as you level set your expectations, you will enjoy yourselves.

We did not use the nursery (this kid will not leave my side) and I never planned to. We ate in the dining room every night, and went to a show every night and brought him along. He loved it. If he started getting antsy, one or both of us were prepared to leave in the middle of the show or dinner.

We started cruising with my oldest (his is now 😎 when he was 2, and we have never looked back.

I think the main thing to remember is that this is not the partying cruise, where you drink yourself silly and stay up til the crack of dawn. This is a family cruise, and you may have to cut things short or miss certain acitivties, but overall you will enjoy being on vacation and spending time with family. 😊

One other thing to mention....you will see every person that said they did it, said they would do it again. 😉  We are headed on cruise #2 with our little guy who just turned 2 last month. We leave in 2 weeks - FTS out of San Juan!

Edited by PyrHeaven
  • Like 1

WE have been cruising with our three since they were 2, 2 and 9 months, so for about 18 years. Much easier than hotel based vacations. If we left from Florida we would add a 3 day Disney on the beginning. We were still rested at the end and the kids had a great time . I highly recommend cruising with kiddos. 

Well, I think an 18 month old is a toddler, not an infant, eating regular food mostly and done with bottles, and down to one long nap a day. Since the ship has a nursery and a splash area for diapered kids, I’d consider it (didn’t start cruising until our youngest were 4). We dona beach vacation every year, I get it about having to cook and do dishes.

We’ve done it several times with our grandchildren and their parents. One trip a grandson was 16 months, the other trip a different grandson was 14 months.  I would not hesitate to do it again.😀 Of course it was a different cruise than when it is just the 2 of us but we enjoyed every minute.  Port days were geared towards the kids so we did mostly beach days.  We did not use any child care services but did take the kids to an open play area for some play time.  

I think cruising with an infant would be an easy vacation, so much easier than the camping trips we took our boys on when they were babies.  

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

My daughter just turned 4 and has spent 96 nights on a cruise ship and and my son just turned 8 and is 140+ days.  They both started cruising when they were 9 and 15 months respectively.   This includes TAs and repos and longer cruises.  

We live cruising with our kids.  It is a different experience and as long as you are ok with that you will be ok.  Just adjust expectations.