Civitavecchia disembarkation timing

Hi everyone, first cruise (ever!) coming up and have a quick question about disembarkation please.

Explorer is scheduled to dock at 0700 in Civitavecchia and we will be transferring to FCO. How does the disembarkation process work and when could we conceivably expect to be off the ship? We will be in a PH suite.

Just in the process of organising our transfer and don’t want to be stressed about pick up time. Our flight leaves at 1.30 pm.

thank you 😊

Edited by victoriaw
Sp

1 hour ago, victoriaw said:

Hi everyone, first cruise (ever!) coming up and have a quick question about disembarkation please.

Explorer is scheduled to dock at 0700 in Civitavecchia and we will be transferring to FCO. How does the disembarkation process work and when could we conceivably expect to be off the ship? We will be in a PH suite.

Just in the process of organising our transfer and don’t want to be stressed about pick up time. Our flight leaves at 1.30 pm.

thank you 😊

About half way through your cruise you will receive a form to fill out for disembarkation.  Since you are doing your own transportation, you pretty much can decide what time you want to get off of the ship (it takes about an hour for the ship to "clear" after which time passengers can disembark).  

Based on the time you need to get off of the ship, you will receive colored tags for your luggage.  Passengers are called by the color of their tag.  This method is used so that luggage will be ready for you when you leave the ship (your luggage will need to be put outside of your suite about 10:00 p.m.)

Hope that this helps!

Thank you travelcat!

So, if in no great rush some people would still have breakfast onboard? Would an 0930 or thereabouts time be ok? Do some people keep their luggage with them or would that be unnecessary if going later? Or more necessary? Is there a ‘rush’ hour ? 😊

Breakfast on disembarkation day starts very early (around 6:30 a.m. I believe) or you can order room service which is great to do in my opinion.

Yes - some people keep their luggage with them but it is not really necessary.  

I guess that you can say that there is a "rush hour" but I don't know when that would be.  Several Regent buses will be driving to the airport in Rome at some point but not sure what time they would leave the ship.

If you are disembarking the ship during the week, the traffic will be heavier than if you disembark on the weekend.  The trip really takes less than an hour but can be longer with traffic.  

While 9:30 a.m. sounds great, Regent tries to get everyone off of the ship by 9:00 a.m. (and you are asked to leave your suite at 8:00 a.m.).  So, doing a 9:00 a.m. departure may be best.

8 hours ago, victoriaw said:

Ok thank you, that’s been very helpful!

Does anyone have any experience with private transfers that they would recommend?

I would suggest you plan to arrive at FCO 3 hours before departure time.  The check in can get long.  You may not need the time, but for an international flight, it's suggested at least 3 hours prior.  

We used RomeCabs in 2015 after a Royal Caribbean cruise.  We arranged for a 7:30 pickup for an 10:55 flight.    We had a lot of luggage so we had them bring an SUV.  We got off the ship very early and gathered our luggage and the driver was waiting for us well before 7:30.  We were at the Airport in about 45 min.  It took some time to get checked in, check our luggage, clear customs, and get to the gate.  I think we arrived at the gate around an hour before the flight, so took 2:45 from pickup to the gate.  But I'd leave myself plenty of time (I worry about things like that).  

Anyway, we were very happy with RomeCabs.  But again, this was 2015.

Fiumicino airport is conveniently on the Civitavecchia - i.e. sea - side of Rome.  You do not need to go into or through Rome to get there.   45 mins is not a bad time but in Italy I always leave more time than I think it will take and it always ends up taking more time than that.   I would plan on at least an hour.

Check in at the airport is not all that smooth either so 3 hours before flight time seems a good "buffer" to me.  you won't have to go through Customs but you will go through Immigration because you are leaving Schengen space and your passport needs to be scanned.  With a 1330 flight if you are there at 1000 you will be more than fine.  So leave the ship as late as Regent will let you!  And that probably will be 0900 as Jackie said above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

Fiumicino airport is conveniently on the Civitavecchia - i.e. sea - side of Rome.  You do not need to go into or through Rome to get there.   45 mins is not a bad time but in Italy I always leave more time than I think it will take and it always ends up taking more time than that.   I would plan on at least an hour. ...

However, the Italians are still fond of going on strike, especially on Friday afternoons.  Then traffic can get snarled up pretty good, so do allow some extra time as Hambagahle recommended

2 minutes ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

However, the Italians are still fond of going on strike, especially on Friday afternoons.  Then traffic can get snarled up pretty good, so do allow some extra time as Hambagahle recommended

If they go on strike at the airport - plan to spend a few days in Rome...  If there is a public holiday on the Monday (or Thursday) then I would expect some sort of strike.

Edited by Hambagahle
  • Haha 1

Frankly I tend to be obsessive about getting to the airport on time, so I'd be off the ship at 8:30 for a 1:30 flight, just in case.  It's not all theatcomfy sitting around on the ship anyways, and I am always itching to get going.  They like you to be out of your cabins earlier, usually 8 or 8:30? (can't remember.)

Hi, thanks everyone. I’m not concerned about travel time particularly as we are not leaving Europe, just moving on to Nice so should have a relatively smooth check in experience I think.

apart from romecabs any other transfer suggestions?

15 minutes ago, victoriaw said:

Hi, thanks everyone. I’m not concerned about travel time particularly as we are not leaving Europe, just moving on to Nice so should have a relatively smooth check in experience I think.

apart from romecabs any other transfer suggestions?

I also used Rome Cabs in late 2017 but also like this company:

https://transfer-finder.com

Marc

Plan your private transfer independent of Regent.  Regent wanted $449 (USD) to arrange a private transfer from the port to central Rome when I was onboard in October (just a car transfer--not a big limo or some special transport).   Even destination services staff seemed surprised by the price.  They contacted "Miami" about the price, and after a couple days of waiting said that "Miami" wouldn't lower the charge.  (The same transfer can be booked online for about one-third of Regent's price-- the hotel where I was staying said its private transfer was about $200 less.) Regent has its strengths,  but this kind of charge is ridiculous, IMO.

I am not familiar with Civitavecchia as a port for disembarkation so a question on baggage collection please.

Our car service has told us to wait at the ship's side for our pick-up.

I assume there is a terminal building at the entrance to the port where our driver will take us to collect our bags.

Is that what normally happens at this port with private transport ?

There is no terminal building.  There is a sort of tent.  You get off the ship and are directed to baggage claim.  Then if you haven't been in Italy at the last port you go through Customs (presumably you have been somewhere in Schengen so no passport control though you might well be asked to show one as an ID).

We simply got our bags and walked out of the tent.  There was a waiting area and the drivers were there with signs.  We were early and had to wait about 10mns for ours.  then he took us to Roma Termini station and we left for Milan.