1115am flight from FLL if 8am arrival at Miami port?

petuniaflower

3 minutes ago, petuniaflower said:

I have looked at pre arranged like SAS but they do not work with people will no cell phone, I assume its because they want you to call when you get out?  But we will be ready and have to be one of the first groups off, so I assume 830ish?

It certainly makes it more difficult without one.  Try  VIP they can designate a time and pickup point.  

We do, just from Canada so typically dont use them when in US.  We could I suppose turn it on just to call.  What is the purpose of giving them your cell, is it to call when youre ready even if you have a pre arranged pick up time?

Also for the uber option, do they meet you right outside where the taxis would be?  And, when would you suggest ordering the uber as to not waste any time?  While in customs line perhaps?

Def not in line for customs.  Uber will suggest a pickup point.  I would do it after clearing customs, there will be many doing drop offs so it will not be long.  The purpose of the phone is there are many many people looking for rides.  When they cannot locate you they can call and find each other. 

Also for the uber option, do they meet you right outside where the taxis would be?  And, when would you suggest ordering the uber as to not waste any time?  While in customs line perhaps?

First time, we ordered our Uber as we were hitting the sidewalk and the driver literally showed up within 60 seconds. Second time it took her about 5 minutes to get to us due to traffic congestion. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Def not in line for customs.  Uber will suggest a pickup point.  I would do it after clearing customs, there will be many doing drop offs so it will not be long.  The purpose of the phone is there are many many people looking for rides.  When they cannot locate you they can call and find each other. 

I'm going to stop commenting and let you do the honors! We are stepping all over each other! 😂

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 10:05 AM, petuniaflower said:

Would I have a better chance if we took Carnival transfers?

Yes, because if they are late they will be at fault, and you know Carnival will not be late because of what it would cost. This is the reason they will not let you book a return flight before 11am

32 minutes ago, Alaskan Joe said:

Yes, because if they are late they will be at fault, and you know Carnival will not be late because of what it would cost. This is the reason they will not let you book a return flight before 11am

All true, it is choices. The downside of Carnival transfers is they wait until the bus is full.  This is more meaningful for Fll when there are many fewer busses.  We have used Carnival transfers many times, Sometimes they are really good, other times (like the ops) they can be restrictive    

8 minutes ago, petuniaflower said:

Ok so if we indeed have cell service since it seems to be worth it at this point, would doing a pre arranged pick up with SAS as an example, or uber be the very fastest way to get to FLL from an 8 am Thursday at Miami port arrival?

Can be a wash, unless sas is sending a van and the transfer is for multiple parties.  I would think Uber would be cheaper esp if it is first time use of the app on your phone which will probably get you a discount.  

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Can be a wash, unless sas is sending a van and the transfer is for multiple parties.  I would think Uber would be cheaper esp if it is first time use of the app on your phone which will probably get you a discount.  

Not first time using uber, and not too worried about price, more so worried about fastest option.  We are 5 people if that makes a difference for how many would fit in SAS?

11 minutes ago, petuniaflower said:

Not first time using uber, and not too worried about price, more so worried about fastest option.  We are 5 people if that makes a difference for how many would fit in SAS?

Only they could answer that, if it were Just 2 it probably would be with another party.  For 5 you would need to do a Uber XL which might make it a little more difficult 

Edited by jimbo5544

You are still making the assumption that your ship will dock as scheduled, be cleared by customs, and have no other complications. You have absolutely NO CONTROL over any of those things.   While this is probably true more than not, what if your sailing has these issues?  You will be stuck.  I still maintain it is better to have a later flight than risk missing something early in the day.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DramaQueen22 said:

You are still making the assumption that your ship will dock as scheduled, be cleared by customs, and have no other complications. You have absolutely NO CONTROL over any of those things.   While this is probably true more than not, what if your sailing has these issues?  You will be stuck.  I still maintain it is better to have a later flight than risk missing something early in the day.

I totally agree☺️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know were my DW and I are on this subject. Next February, our Panama Canal trip is out of NOLA. The return flight is not good, we can get one around 10-10:30 am , or 6pm☹️. We choose the 6pm flight for the same reasons people on here have mentioned, yes it sucks, but we would rather be early then late.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 12:27 PM, Alaskan Joe said:

The return flight time recommendation is 12 noon.  Return flights scheduled before the recommended times will void any travel insurance claim due to a missed flight.  

33 minutes ago, Alaskan Joe said:

Just to let you know were my DW and I are on this subject. Next February, our Panama Canal trip is out of NOLA. The return flight is not good, we can get one around 10-10:30 am , or 6pm☹️. We choose the 6pm flight for the same reasons people on here have mentioned, yes it sucks, but we would rather be early then late.

That is wise.  NOLA can be delayed very easily

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 8:36 PM, petuniaflower said:

When you booked with SAS what time did you ask them to be there?  Our issue is that it says you must have a working cell phone, and as we are from Canada we dont usually have our cells on in the US (unless using wifi)

You need a phone. You call them when you are entering the customs line. They will be waiting for you when you get outside. You could borrow a phone from someone else waiting in line. 

On 4/9/2019 at 11:27 AM, Alaskan Joe said:

Not sure about other cruise lines, but for Carnival, the earliest flight time you can have with their shuttle is Noon.

I have only used HAL transfers twice and both times we were among the last ones to depart the pier area.  One time we BARELY made the flight (had to run through the airport) even though everything else was on time.  I really try to avoid them unless I have ample time.