What happens for Easter?

bendigoboy

We are on the Westerdam sailing in Japan during Easter this year. We haven't cruised with HAL before or cruised during Easter. I wonder if more experienced HAL cruisers can tell us if anything "special" occurs? I don't necessarily just mean religious ceremony but the other Easter type celebrations ie Easter Eggs, Hot Cross Buns etc that we enjoy so much in Australia.

11 hours ago, bendigoboy said:

We are on the Westerdam sailing in Japan during Easter this year. We haven't cruised with HAL before or cruised during Easter. I wonder if more experienced HAL cruisers can tell us if anything "special" occurs? I don't necessarily just mean religious ceremony but the other Easter type celebrations ie Easter Eggs, Hot Cross Buns etc that we enjoy so much in Australia.

We were on the Westerdam on a Panama Canal cruise in 2013 over Easter and they did a little decorating.  I think if you got to the Lido early enough they had some candy.

We are embarking on a cruise on Easter Sunday on the Zuiderdam so it will be interesting to see if they have any decorations. 

Utahtea

IMG_8780.JPG

IMG_8777.JPG

Edited by utahtea

Our upcoming Maasdam cruise from Auckland we are signed up for a special Easter Brunch in the Pinnacle Grill. We have also attended some nicely done religious ceremonies led by volunteer passengers and of course Hal always has a Catholic priest on board officiating Mass.

We have been on three cruises during Easter.  The first was the most memorable because the sun was just rising during the sunrise service.  One was held in a private room and the other one was on a deck.  All three had small candies located in the Lido deck.  The last was hollow chocolate eggs located near the ice cream bar. Yum!!!! There was a minimum decorations. Also on the last one there was a rabbi on board.  They held services and invited everyone who would like to participate.

We were on the NA last year for Easter. They had a very nice non denominational  service in the show room.

It was very nice and big turn out. We did the Easter Brunch in the Pinnacle. They had decorations out.

Verna

19 hours ago, slidergirl said:

What does HAL do for Passover?  Surely they don't just do Easter to the exclusion of the other holiday...

We were on the Westerdam over Passover too and I don't remember anything.  I went back and looked at my the Daily Explorers and didn't see anything but maybe I missed it.  In 2016 we were on the Noordam over Rosh Hashanah and there were services with a Rabbi for that holiday. 

Utahtea

We always do. He's our Travelling Companion. See him at the Sphinx in my avatar. 

Cheers,  

I seem to remember him from Antarctica on Zaandam in 2015!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/8/2019 at 7:32 PM, slidergirl said:

What does HAL do for Passover?  Surely they don't just do Easter to the exclusion of the other holiday...

I am pretty sure that volunteers lead the Jewish services, just like volunteers lead the Protestant services.

Barbara

6 hours ago, bcummin said:

I am pretty sure that volunteers lead the Jewish services, just like volunteers lead the Protestant services.

Barbara

Any food associated with Passover?  Or just Easter eggs and stuff?