WATER ?

lextrvlr

On 5/2/2019 at 1:48 AM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I found a more direct link to the article:

http://www.progressivehealth.com/edema-alcohol.htm

Thankyou. 

Interestingly the cruise I experienced the most issues was the one I drank the least amount of alcohol. Most days not even a glass of wine and no beer. The alcohol was additional and expensive and local Croatian style so I just didn’t bother. Consequently I drank more tea, and water. Which takes me back full circle to the water issue. 

On 4/30/2019 at 11:56 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I've read somewhere that just being on the ocean and breathing the air includes your salt intake.  Is this credible at all?

There are actually studies that claim that inhaling a salt solution is beneficial.  I believe that salt (sodium and chlorine) atoms are too large to pass through the alveoli in the lungs the way that oxygen or carbon dioxide do.  Inhalation and ingestion are different mechanisms and I don't believe that inhaling "salt air" (the smell is actually created by decomposing algae) will increase your salt intake and cause edema.  Like Jim, I've been going to sea for 43 years (at least 6 months each year), and have lived within 10 miles of the ocean during that same time when not on the ship, and I don't suffer from edema or high blood pressure.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

There are actually studies that claim that inhaling a salt solution is beneficial.  I believe that salt (sodium and chlorine) atoms are too large to pass through the alveoli in the lungs the way that oxygen or carbon dioxide do.  Inhalation and ingestion are different mechanisms and I don't believe that inhaling "salt air" (the smell is actually created by decomposing algae) will increase your salt intake and cause edema.  Like Jim, I've been going to sea for 43 years (at least 6 months each year), and have lived within 10 miles of the ocean during that same time when not on the ship, and I don't suffer from edema or high blood pressure.

Thanks, I like this answer, and it makes a lot of sense to me.  Since being by the sea side has never made my ankles swell, just cruise ship food and/or drink.

• Like 1

Similar to Jim and the Chief, I spent almost the same number of years at sea and have lived within a few miles of the coast most of my life and never experienced issues.

When working in the Persian Gulf, with temps in the 50's, we ate salt tablets like sweets, to try and replace the salt lost through sweat. Don't believe we got any salt through inhalation.

I had to check the conversion: 50 C is 122 F😮No wonder you needed so much salt!

I've noticed humidity can play a factor in swelling too.  I try to spend a lot of time outside (balcony, walking decks, or dining al fresco) so that might be a part of my problem too.

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Like Jim, I've been going to sea for 43 years (at least 6 months each year), and have lived within 10 miles of the ocean during that same time when not on the ship, and I don't suffer from edema or high blood pressure.

Like you and some other posters, I have lived all my life near salt water. 

I did start to develop high blood pressure problems in my thirties, but I attribute that fact to my acquiring a husband and not my place of residence. 😉

• Haha 1

On 4/10/2019 at 3:08 PM, Peregrina651 said:

For me, the swelling starts on the plane. I tried compression socks on this last trip and it helped on the flight; at least I could get my shoes on and off. I then wore the socks of and on during the cruise. If I could have worn them every day, things might have been better. In the end, things did not really clear until I was home again for a few days.

Sorry to come to this a bit late. I’ve found that things sold as ‘flight socks’ are pretty ineffective, and went up to a fairly light medical grade compression (e.g. 12-15 mmHg Preventative Graduated Compression https://www.pebbleuk.com/shop/products.asp?cid=2&pid=1) which are very effective for me.

I was surprised to find my ankles still puffed up when on board, so this thread has been enlightening, thanks everyone.

You might want to try T.E.D. Anti-Embolism Stockings, the legwear prescribed after cardiac replumbing.  However, they are not easy to put on by oneself, and strong help is useful.  Correct sizing is important.  Once on, I find them comfortable.

They are made in Costa Rica by COVIDIEN llc, 15 Hampshire St, Mansfield MA02048 USA.

On 4/9/2019 at 1:46 PM, lextrvlr said:

Other than still and sparkling water produced on board, are any waters such as San Pellegrino or Voss available in any of the dining venues?

San Pellegrino was available on the Sky last month but it wasn't the easiest thing in the world to get your hands on. I asked the Bartenders in the Aquavit Terrace, The Living Room and The Explorer lounge and they all said it was unavailable in the bars. Two of them said that it was only available from the cabin steward. I asked our cabin steward who checked with his boss and they said that it was only available through room service and not something they stocked in the mini bar. The next night I asked in the Main Dining Room and the waiter said that he could get me some from Manfredi's as they always have it available there. Every night thereafter, the waiter and/or wine steward ensured that I had a liter of San Pelligrino with dinner. It was readily available in The Chef's Table and Manfredi's. There was never a charge for it so it must have been covered under the Silver Spirits package.

56 minutes ago, Choose Something Fun said:

San Pellegrino was available on the Sky last month but it wasn't the easiest thing in the world to get your hands on. I asked the Bartenders in the Aquavit Terrace, The Living Room and The Explorer lounge and they all said it was unavailable in the bars. Two of them said that it was only available from the cabin steward. I asked our cabin steward who checked with his boss and they said that it was only available through room service and not something they stocked in the mini bar. The next night I asked in the Main Dining Room and the waiter said that he could get me some from Manfredi's as they always have it available there. Every night thereafter, the waiter and/or wine steward ensured that I had a liter of San Pelligrino with dinner. It was readily available in The Chef's Table and Manfredi's. There was never a charge for it so it must have been covered under the Silver Spirits package.

Thank you “Choose Something Fun.” After this thread somehow morphed into swollen ankles and compression stockings, I appreciate your telling me how to get San Pellegrino. It makes sense that Manfreti's would have it. I will do my best to get a few bottles moved up at least one deck.