WOW Dress Code has Changed

jc foster

We strayed away from Celebrity about five years ago and started sailing on river cruises, Princess, and Azamara. We have a T/A sailing on Celebrity in less than two weeks and today I glanced at the dress code. Wow  and , its changed. Is this the very same 'Resort Casual" as Azamara? It sounds as though a sports code, dress pants,  a collared shirt will suffice. THANKS

Most people do tend to dress up it more on Evening Chic nights, but you don't have to. There's quite a bit open to interpretation with the new guidelines. Helen was correct that you don't even need the sport coat, however many still wear them. You see a wide variety and whatever you choose within the new guidelines you'll see someone dressed similarly.

Just now, jc foster said:

Thanks, this is great, however, I think my wife enjoyed the old more formal nights.

If you want to dress formally because that's what you enjoy, you can still certainly do that. Although the majority of your fellow passengers won't be quite as dressed up as you, you certainly won't be alone in your choice, that's the beauty of the new guidelines. Enjoy whatever you choose to do.

• Like 3

Ditto.  I wish people would realize they really can dress up as much or little as they like and be fine.  On every one of my numerous Celebrity cruises there have always been some people very dressed up.  Be it an anniversary, other special occasion, wanting professional photos taken or just the enjoyment of dressing up.  Then there will be suits, sports coats with a tie, sports coat with a polo shirt and polo/golf shirt and khaki pants.  

• Like 6

Helen...good post...sums it up nicely. It has gotten to the point where you see a pretty wide range of dress at formal / chic nights. For many people, there is something a bit special about getting dressed up for a few dinners. Not for everyone though. I have enjoyed it for the most part over the years but now must admit that, after a good many cruises and photographers all around the ship, etc., that whole formal dressing and picture scene has gotten a bit old. Having just sailed with Viking for the first time (yes...the one where passengers got a free helicopter ride), I really didn't miss not having any sort of 'formal' evenings. Just doesn't really seem necessary. The whole thing is geared to selling pictures in my opinion. That being said, if people enjoy getting dressed up, that's fine too. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

2 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Ditto.  I wish people would realize they really can dress up as much or little as they like and be fine.  On every one of my numerous Celebrity cruises there have always been some people very dressed up.  Be it an anniversary, other special occasion, wanting professional photos taken or just the enjoyment of dressing up.  Then there will be suits, sports coats with a tie, sports coat with a polo shirt and polo/golf shirt and khaki pants.  

Good post Helen

Not mentioned to the Op is the Evening Chic dress code applies only to the MDR, none of the Specialties, Blu or Luminae

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Good post Helen

Not mentioned to the Op is the Evening Chic dress code applies only to the MDR, none of the Specialties, Blu or Luminae

What do you mean, doesn’t apply to specialties, Blu, Luminae?  What is the dress code in these dining rooms?

7 minutes ago, Doug95630 said:

What do you mean, doesn’t apply to specialties, Blu, Luminae?  What is the dress code in these dining rooms?

Blu and Lumanae's dress code is smart casual every night of the cruise.

15 minutes ago, Spf12 said:

You will note even though that's true, people tend to dress a little more in general on Evening Chic nights regardless of whether they're dining in MDR, Ble, Luminae or a specialty restaurant.  The beauty is they don't have to.

I never take a jacket anymore if we are flying to join the ship. It certainly helps with the weight of luggage if you are restricted.  Dark navy or black formal trousers plus dressy shirts work fine fir me on “Chic” evenings.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Carnevale said:

Will we be out of place in Blu in a gown and tux on the Evening Chic nights?  We love dressing up so Cunard is currently our line of choice but we are looking forward to our first Celebrity cruise so need advice on this please.

We did our first Celebrity cruise last year after only cruising on Cunard and one, never to be repeated, on Oceania. It was a decision based on lack of choice re itineraries- stuck with the school holidays. As to dress, there were some long dresses on our cruise on chic nights but more cocktail dresses. I would equate it to what people wore for an Informal night on Cunard. Reading these boards, it seems to depend where the cruise is going, as it seems dressier on a Med rather than a Caribbean cruise. 

We did enjoy our cruise and have booked Celebrity again this summer(again, itinerary choice) but have booked the Baltic cruise on QV for July 2020. Hope this helps.

I find the new dress code on Celebrity a bit chaotic. On our last cruise chic night about a month ago in the dining room, we experienced people dressed very casually, cocktail dresses, sports coats (no tie),  a few suits with ties, a tuxedo and a few gowns. It really is “anything goes”.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bacm said:

I find the new dress code on Celebrity a bit chaotic. On our last cruise chic night about a month ago in the dining room, we experienced people dressed very casually, cocktail dresses, sports coats (no tie),  a few suits with ties, a tuxedo and a few gowns. It really is “anything goes”.

Except shorts and t-shirts !!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I feel the same. People can dress up as much or as little as they would like.

Unfortunately, last week on the Equinox, I was witness to a man ridiculing another for wearing a t shirt in the elevator one evening. He was in the elevator - not in the dining room or anywhere one might be expected to dress up a bit. I know dress code is a hot topic, but I wish there was less judgement.

• Like 3

It had been almost 20 years since our last Celebrity cruise. We enjoyed the Equinox very much this past January and you can imagine all the changes we experienced.
I used to rent a tux and it was nice not to have to worry about formal nights. Especially since I was a radio announcer and most of my clothes were jeans, t-shirts and flip-flops.

8 hours ago, Spf12 said:

Dress code in Specialties, Blu and Luminae is smart casual every night, evening chic does not apply.  Has been that way for several years now. 

13 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

It had been almost 20 years since our last Celebrity cruise. We enjoyed the Equinox very much this past January and you can imagine all the changes we experienced.
I used to rent a tux and it was nice not to have to worry about formal nights. Especially since I was a radio announcer and most of my clothes were jeans, t-shirts and flip-flops.

I work from home, so most of my "work" clothes are simply very casual things I would wear around the house.  Business casual is something I don't have much of, but I do have really nice things I consider to be Country Club Casual that I have for evenings out and cruises.  I have a few cocktail dresses and dressier outfits that I save for weddings and occasionally take on cruises.  

I like the idea that anymore people can wear what they want on most cruises.   

• Haha 1