Just before revolution Millie/Summit experiences?

trk_koa

Can anyone who sailed on Millenium or Summit just prior to the revolution drydock weigh in for me? We are booked B2B on Constellation in March and April 2020, just prior to her drydock for her upgrades. 

We we are trying to determine if we should move our reservations out to 2021.

The concern is that they will begin the refurbishment while we are still sailing. We have family members who had negative impacts on a princess cruise a few years ago. Work began during the cruise just prior to drydock and it wasn’t a good situation.

Prices in  2021 are not much changed from what we booked for 2020. We have aft C1 for both cruises on our 2020 but that wouldn’t be an option in 2021. There aren’t any available for both cruises and we don’t want to move. We could, however, book sweet sixteen and not have to move, plus save some money.

Opinions?

We cruised on the Summit Jan 29 to Feb 10, which I think was the second to last cruise before her big refurbishment, and we found no issues with any "headstart" kind of work at all.  There were a couple of minor dings and wear and tear that appeared to be ignored since the big refurb was just days away, but it definitely didn't impact our enjoyment.  Happy cruising!! :)

The only thing I saw posted on CC was a review of Summit right before the upgrade where it was mentioned the elevators were upgraded pre dry dock.  Did not impact the guests at all.

I would be more concerned sailing right after the dry dock because of things that were not completed, furniture not delivered, mistakes to be fixed, etc.  If you read the latter posts of the Millennium and Summit Revolution threads there were a few posters on board after dry dock who reported things that still needed to be done.

8 hours ago, trk_koa said:

Can anyone who sailed on Millenium or Summit just prior to the revolution drydock weigh in for me? We are booked B2B on Constellation in March and April 2020, just prior to her drydock for her upgrades. 

We we are trying to determine if we should move our reservations out to 2021.

The concern is that they will begin the refurbishment while we are still sailing. We have family members who had negative impacts on a princess cruise a few years ago. Work began during the cruise just prior to drydock and it wasn’t a good situation.

Prices in  2021 are not much changed from what we booked for 2020. We have aft C1 for both cruises on our 2020 but that wouldn’t be an option in 2021. There aren’t any available for both cruises and we don’t want to move. We could, however, book sweet sixteen and not have to move, plus save some money.

Opinions?

I think you should be OK.   I was on Constellation on the Singapore to Rome cruise a couple years ago just before the Solstization dry dock.   She was in pretty bad shape (mostly heavy rust) prior to the Dry Dock.    They had a crew on board for the full month cruise and at that time the rewired the complete ship with the Revolution communications and RF door keys.   They were also installing new air scrubbers for the exhaust system.  While there were occasional workers in the hallway with ladders they were courteous and never a bother.

I sailed Constellation last summer and she was in beautiful condition and already had the High Speed internet installed and the RF key cards.   That is one of the reasons she is included on the Celebrity App.   During that dry dock they also installed one Infinity Veranda room as a prototype test before edge was built.  

9 hours ago, nunuc2000 said:

We cruised on the Summit Jan 29 to Feb 10, which I think was the second to last cruise before her big refurbishment, and we found no issues with any "headstart" kind of work at all.  There were a couple of minor dings and wear and tear that appeared to be ignored since the big refurb was just days away, but it definitely didn't impact our enjoyment.  Happy cruising!! 🙂

We were on this same cruise and I agree with nunuc2000. The only thing that we encountered to do with the pending dry dock was all the talk with the crew about what they would be doing during the dry dock. Some were heading home but most had special assignments. We found it interesting that our server would be responsible for fire prevention at welding areas🙂.  

Sailed on Millenium and Summit in 2018.  Summit was in good shape. Aqua cclass cabin was in great shape.  Veranda was uncovered and collected water.  Millenium looked great in public areas. Our cabin was in poor shape.  It was so bad that we asked for and got a  clean chair, new mattress and sofa cushion.  This year we were on Reflection. It is in great shape in  all spaces.  Having sailed on 20+ Celebrity cruises, most are well cafed for. You see staff cleaning everywhere on the ship.  I have sailed on ships prior to dry dock many times.  Most cruise lines have regular dry dock time to repair or update a variety of things.  Do not wait until after dry dock. The worst cruise is the one right after dry dock.  If  repairs need more time than scheduled, your cruise might be canceled.  

We were on the Summit in January while the elevators were getting refurbished. There were times when each bank had an elevator down but it didn't seem to be a problem.

I did notice huge dumpsters in San Juan, filled to capacity as we disembarked. There must have been much more work going on that we did not see.

This was not our first cruise before a redo so we knew what to expect. I'd imagine on the following cruises (2) before dry dock there was much more activity.

If you have the cabins you want take the cruise!!!!!!

If you have the cabins you want take the cruise!!!!!!

I priced out the 2021 cruise more diligently this evening. The 2020 aft C1s we have are cheaper than 2C in 2021. We had booked onboard during a sale and got two perks on the first cruise and paid gratuities on the repositioning one, so pricing them apples to apples, 2021 is quite a bit higher.

We will need to have further discussions with our travel mates....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on the Millennium cruise right before dry dock and did not notice anything. Lots of chats with crew about their roles, and apparently some workers came onboard a few days early. A few spots in public areas looked they had been ‘let go’ a little, but overall the ship looked better than I expected.

My parents cabin was not in great shape, but as one of the only handicap suites there was not much that could be done.

now I just want to sail on the refurbished version!

On 4/12/2019 at 3:56 AM, helen haywood said:

I’m about to embark on the last two Equinox cruises before she gets her dry dock to be “Reflection/Edge-ified.  I’m not worried but will certainly post anything I see onboard regarding advance refurb/demolition or extreme need of refurbishment.

We will be interested as we are on Eclipse as she travels from Japan to Singapore for her refit next year....The itinerary is so appealing it would take a lot to put us off!

We were on the short 4 night cruise on the Summit, just prior to her drydock.  The service was good, but I have to say they dropped the ball with available gluten free bread most meals.  They offered only raisen bread with dinner twice, even after we discussed the issue with the restaurant manager.  Gluten free raisen bread is fine toasted for breakfast, but it is really totally not fine for dipping in Olive oil at Tuscan Grille 😞 - I believe they were busy cleaning out/using up the supplies, and simply did not have a good selection available.  Something to consider if anyone in your party has dietary issues.  While it did not ruin the cruise, it was definitely not up to Celebrity's normal standards when it comes to caring for special needs.