Speak SHUTTLES to me

Tonopah

I’m very excited. We are planning our second crossing on the Queen Mary 2. The voyage is 21 days long with stops in Canada, Iceland, Scotland, and Southampton before returning to NY. I know shuttles are often provided by Cunard from the ship to the city center(s). How do they work? The Cunard site says some travelers may ride shuttles for free, while others must pay. Do we have to sign up in advance to use the shuttles? How do we know if we must pay or if our level is one that accesses shuttles for “free”?  Will they bill us automatically? Is the charge per person or per stateroom? We are confident travelers, would it be better to just take taxis/public transportation/Uber?

I looked for info about Cunard shuttles but was unsuccessful - is there a way to search ONLY the Cunard threads instead of the whole site?

The charge is per person and if like in the UK if you book a Select fare then they are included and if you book an Early Saver then they are at a cost which I think is added to your onboard account. But not sure if these different types of faires are available in other countries.

56 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

I’m very excited. We are planning our second crossing on the Queen Mary 2. The voyage is 21 days long with stops in Canada, Iceland, Scotland, and Southampton before returning to NY. I know shuttles are often provided by Cunard from the ship to the city center(s). How do they work? The Cunard site says some travelers may ride shuttles for free, while others must pay. Do we have to sign up in advance to use the shuttles? How do we know if we must pay or if our level is one that accesses shuttles for “free”?  Will they bill us automatically? Is the charge per person or per stateroom? We are confident travelers, would it be better to just take taxis/public transportation/Uber?

I looked for info about Cunard shuttles but was unsuccessful - is there a way to search ONLY the Cunard threads instead of the whole site?

I'll answer your last question first. If you are using a desktop browser and you are within the Cunard forum, click inside the search box and then select "This forum" for the "Search In" option. Here is how that looks to start a search for the word "shuttle" only within the Cunard forum.

image.thumb.png.c1426a8f8b77b61426b654c0452d5ad6.png

The process is a bit more involved if you are using a smartphone. I can go through that process if you wish.

As majortom10 has indicated, the matter of whether there is a charge for a shuttle is often a matter of what fare has been booked. In the UK, those who have booked the "Cunard" fare will have some shuttles provided at no cost while those who have booked a "Saver" fare may be charged an additional cost for those same shuttles. Since you have presumably booked under the US booking conditions, this would not apply to you. The US fares are like the UK "Cunard" fares with regard to charges for shuttles.

And has Host Hattie has indicated, for a shuttle where charges may apply, your voyage card will be scanned as you board that shuttle (even if charges don't actually apply to you).

Keep in mind for some ports such as Brooklyn, there is no "shuttle" per se. What may be offered is a bus transfer into the city and back (such as the "Manhattan Transfer to Macy's"). That would need to be booked ahead of time as a shore excursion through the Tours Office.

Edited by bluemarble

23 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

And just to add to the confusion...

In some ports the shuttles are not provided by Cunard but by the port authority, or city council, or chamber of commerce or whoever. And then there is usually no charge for anyone.

Colin.

Depends we have been charged in the past at Belfast, Livorno and Helsinki all shuttle buses supplied not by Cunard but either local authority or port authority and have been charged whatever fare you have booked.

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'll answer your last question first. If you are using a desktop browser and you are within the Cunard forum, click inside the search box and then select "This forum" for the "Search In" option. Here is how that looks to start a search for the word "shuttle" only within the Cunard forum.

D’oh! I looked like a dozen times, and I’m on many forums with similar searches. My brain is not working today. So thank you for your in depth answer and your patience.