Price for additional meals at Manfredi's or Chef's Table?

zitsky

I believe with a DV cabin you get one included dinner at one of the specialty restaurants?  But what is the charge for additional dinners?  Maybe I'm making the wrong assumption that the first meal is free?

On Norwegian recently we had the dining package as one of the perks.  That was 4 meals.  When we used it up we paid out of pocket for another meal package and another 4 meals.  It was cheaper than paying ala carte.  But we got used to paying for our meals on NCL.  We didn't eat at the main dining rooms very often, in fact, I think it was just once or twice.  

Forgot to mention you can also make reservations on your tv and if I remember correctly on your phone if you install the Viking App (which I recommend as it gives you access to all the menus for your entire cruise, daily schedule, etc.).  I agree with Jim regarding "free food".  The last free lunch I got, I found out I was being volunteered to chair a committee of an organization I belong to.

3 hours ago, ropomo said:

You get one advance reservation and as many as you can get once on board at no charge.  Just go to the desk in World Café to make res.

So it’s pretty much available immediately on board as it assumes higher category cabins are sorted. And spaces are left for V category as well. 

At the DV level it helps to make your one reservation as early in the cruise as possible.  Then you can make an additional reservation after you’ve used that one.  On our first cruise we made a special occasion reservation late in our week and were told we couldn’t make another one because we already had one waiting.  We learned for the next one to book early in the week and then got another one too.  

2 hours ago, FionaGal said:

At the DV level it helps to make your one reservation as early in the cruise as possible.  Then you can make an additional reservation after you’ve used that one.  On our first cruise we made a special occasion reservation late in our week and were told we couldn’t make another one because we already had one waiting.  We learned for the next one to book early in the week and then got another one too.  

Thats annoying. We booked our reservation for the second last night as that’s when we have a birthday and wedding anniversary and we won’t be changing that. Oh well. 

3 hours ago, Pushka said:

So it’s pretty much available immediately on board as it assumes higher category cabins are sorted. And spaces are left for V category as well. 

We have sailed only in the Veranda cabins, and have been able to book more than one visit to each of the specialty restaurants on each of our two cruises so far. While things do tend to book up as a cruise nears its end, things do change up a bit as people alter their plans. Sometimes it's possible to walk up to Chef's Table (and maybe Manfredi's too) and get seated without a reservation. If people make sure to cancel a reservation once they make other plans, it helps everyone else. Enjoy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

Thats annoying. We booked our reservation for the second last night as that’s when we have a birthday and wedding anniversary and we won’t be changing that. Oh well. 

Sometimes there are tables available simply by walking up to the dining venue at dinner time. They might tell you to come back at x:xx or they might tell you that it isn't possible that evening.

• Like 1

My first cruise, I walked up at opening the last night of the first rotation at CT and was seated.  We liked it and booked for the next night with the new rotation.  We knew someone on board that was having a birthday party on the sea day at Manfretti's and when we boarded we made our reservation and asked to be seated with the party.  They had arranged to have one of the party rooms.  When we left CT the second night there, we had reservations for every other rotation of the menus.  Close to the ending of the cruise, the word on board was there were no more reservations available at the specialty restaurants but at about 4 days out I went to Manfretti's when they opened and explained that we had been in the party room on our visit and had heard there were no reservations left.  I was told I was right, there were no more reservations left to book on the computer but to come a couple of nights later when they opened and they were able to seat us when we got there.  There were many tables available but maybe they were reserved  for a later time. The last cruise, CT was changing every other day and there were 2 rotations we could not make due to being booked.  We might have been able to be seated if we went but this time I traveled with someone with dairy allergies and as we left our cabin each morning for breakfast, the menu for the restaurant that evening had been delivered and he would circle what he wanted and return it to the desk at venue before we  left the ship.  Under those circumstances we didn't try to change plans on a whim.   Since CT changes every other day now, it was a little harder to get in, even though there are many who say it's not their style, there must be many that do. 

7 hours ago, zitsky said:

On Norwegian recently we had the dining package as one of the perks.  That was 4 meals.  When we used it up we paid out of pocket for another meal package and another 4 meals.  It was cheaper than paying ala carte.  But we got used to paying for our meals on NCL.  We didn't eat at the main dining rooms very often, in fact, I think it was just once or twice.  

Viking doesn't nickel and dime; there are lots of services on board that are included in the price that you would pay for as you go on other cruise lines. I am not trying to say that Viking is better because you don't have to pay for these things (because as Mr. Avery points out, there is no such thing as a free lunch) and I am not trying to start an argument over which model is better (because that is a value judgement and one man's meat is another man's poison). I am merely pointing these things out so that you can take full advantage of these things while you are on board, if you so wish.

So, here is a list of things already included in your cruise fare:

• specialty coffees except those that contain alcohol--and that includes the lattes, etc. from any of the bars (where they have real espresso machines)
  • use of the spa facilities (including use of a locker but excluding spa services)
  • house wines and beers at lunch and dinner
  • corkage for wines you may bring on board
  • specialty dining
  • internet
  • use of the computers on board
  • room service (which includes delivery of those specialty coffees mentioned above or even the delivery of cocktails from the bar)
  • use of the gym and exercise equipment
  • mini-bar in your cabin replenished daily in all categories except V, who may pay to replenish if they so wish
  • free self-service laundry
  • shuttle buses in most ports
  • I'm sure there are more but I can't come up with them.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just be sure to check the menus for thrr Restaurant via the app or TV after you are aboard to make sure that you don’t miss an entree that you want to have (lobster).  We ended up changing around all our reservations just after we were aboard.  Much easier to do via the app than by talking to the reservation desk.  And the app will let you make unlimited reservations.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just be sure to check the menus for thrr Restaurant via the app or TV after you are aboard to make sure that you don’t miss an entree that you want to have (lobster).  We ended up changing around all our reservations just after we were aboard.  Much easier to do via the app than by talking to the reservation desk.  And the app will let you make unlimited reservations.  

+1

After boarding dw had me use app to review menus for all 14 nights of our sailing.  Ended up switching several specialty reservations so as not to miss favorites in The Restaurant.

Also, toward end of cruise we approached Manfreddi's twice to ask about same night availability.  Although technically sold out the told us to return at 8:15.  We did and were promptly seated.  They really try to be accommodating.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

+1

After boarding dw had me use app to review menus for all 14 nights of our sailing.  Ended up switching several specialty reservations so as not to miss favorites in The Restaurant.

The app will let you review menus for the whole cruise?? But only after you're aboard? That's neat if so. 

We were onboard the Orion from Auckland to Bali a few weeks ago, and, yes, we could look at the menus on the app as well as on the TV in our stateroom. Pretty awesome, as we ended up eating in the World Cafe a lot depending on the menus for the Restaurant.

Being organised and flexible is the key - Manfredis is definitely a little more challenging to get reservations but they are obtainable. One of the best tools is the phone app which is constantly being updated with availability and as people have said just walk up and ask! We are happy to eat at 8.00 and usually pitch up slightly early to get seated. We have had 4 reservations in each alternative restaurant on this cruise - we like them both very much.

• Like 1

Hi all,

A quick question about the Chef's Table - we are off on our first VO cruise in July & I'm looking at making reservations soon.  I saw some sample CT menus on My Viking Journey.  The Asian one looked interesting; didn't much fancy the Italian theme (I think that's what it was).   🙂  Also, there seems to be a "foam fixation" as it is featured in at least a few dishes!  Ha ha...

My question is:  should we go for it at Chef'sTable?  I'm worried we won't like it & I'd feel embarrassed getting up & leaving...I know there are more menus that just the 2 I mentioned above...  Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Leslie

49 minutes ago, BruinBuckeye said:

Hi all,

A quick question about the Chef's Table - we are off on our first VO cruise in July & I'm looking at making reservations soon.  I saw some sample CT menus on My Viking Journey.  The Asian one looked interesting; didn't much fancy the Italian theme (I think that's what it was).   🙂  Also, there seems to be a "foam fixation" as it is featured in at least a few dishes!  Ha ha...

My question is:  should we go for it at Chef'sTable?  I'm worried we won't like it & I'd feel embarrassed getting up & leaving...I know there are more menus that just the 2 I mentioned above...  Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Leslie

Where do you normally like to eat and what food do you like?

I would suggest that you wait until the reservations actually open up for you.  At that point you can see the specific menus and decide if it is something that appeals to you.  If it does, book it.  If not, don't.  Once you are there and things don't seem to be syncing up with your expectations/desires, simply inform the staff that you will be leaving and they can clear the table for any walk ups that may be hoping for your table.