New cruisers going to Bermuda

njmomof2

Good morning.

I have first time cruisers going to Bermuda in June on Escape.  I'd like to tell them options for transportation off the ship when it docks (at the Dockyard?) so they can figure out what they want to do and how to do it.

I believe that there is a free ferry to St. George, is that correct?  Also, if they want to go to Hamilton, there is a "for fee" ferry as well, all from the same place?  If someone could confirm this and perhaps tell me the cost if they want the ferry to Hamilton, I'd appreciate it.

They are looking at some excursions, haven't discussed that with them yet, but I'd at least like to give them some basic information on getting off and getting around when they first arrive.

For some reason, I just haven't had a lot of clients going to Bermuda, and probably none on NCL. 

Thanks for the information.

NCL has a ferry going to St George leaving from the dock the ship is at. The public ferry is about a 10 min walk. You can buy tokens at the cruise terminal building or at the ferry terminal ($4.50) per person per ride or $5 cash onboard. There are day passes. 

Harbor nights street fair is fun on arrival night. 

There are flat rate minibuses at the dock to get to the beaches. E.g., catch a minibus to horseshoe bay, drops you off down at the beach vs trying to get down/up “heart attack hill” from the public bus stop. 

You can get pamphlets for many of the sights at the Cruise Terminal Building.  There are so many options, and the public buses are frequent.  One hardly needs to book tours.

There is a Bermuda board here on Cruise Critic, and many questions could be answered there.

We go to Bermuda fairly often on cruises from Boston,  and the ships sail full.  NCL has a good product for Bermuda.

• Like 1

Bermuda.com and Bermuda4u.com have ferry and bus schedules, rates, etc as well as some other ideas about what to do.

It's quite safe traveling on your own. Crime rate, while not as low as it used to be back in the 1980's and 90's, is still pretty much under control and the island has a much higher standard of living than most other islands thanks to the insurance industry and toruism.  If you want a full day, take the ferry to St George to soak up some history (it's a UNESCO world heritage site). If you don't take a tour, make sure you have a good guidebook so you know what you're seeing or pop in to the visitors center in town for a walking map.  Then hop a pink public bus to Hamilton. It's a bit of a ride, but you get to see some the island that way. Hamilton is mainly a business center, home to many of the insurance companies domiciled on the island, but there are some shops and more than a few restaurants and pubs which could make a good lunch stop. Then take the ferry from Hamilton back to the Dockyard.

Horseshoe Bay is the closest beach to the Dockyard, and absolutely beautiful.As a previous poster suggested, take one the minivans near the pier rather than the public bus. Not only is the walk back up the hill from the beach to the main road to get the bus back a killer unless you are very fit, but the buses also tend to be very crowded on the way back. I'd stay away from Snorkel Park which is right in the Dockyard. It's man made and always crowded with people who don't want to venture far from "home base".

There are also free walking tours in the Dockyards (or there were when we last visited 3 years ago).

8 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

You can get pamphlets for many of the sights at the Cruise Terminal Building.  There are so many options, and the public buses are frequent.  One hardly needs to book tours.

There is a Bermuda board here on Cruise Critic, and many questions could be answered there.

We go to Bermuda fairly often on cruises from Boston,  and the ships sail full.  NCL has a good product for Bermuda.

We love Bermuda because you are there for 3 days. We always take the shuttle to Horseshoe Bay the first 2 days. The shuttle the last time we took it was $7 a person one way and they bring you all the way down the hill. 8 -9 years ago we would get the bus pass which was also good for the ferry to Hamilton. But the bus would drop you off st the top of the hill and you would have to walk down and you would have to walk back up that hill.  the 3rd day we go to the Clocktower and do some shopping in the morning then go back to ship you have the slides and pool to yourself

• Like 1

I like to go to www.portofbermudawebcam.com and watch the comings and goings of the port from home.  You can print a copy of the ship schedules, and watch them arrive and depart.

If you've never been there before, this webcam will give you a good overview of the port area.

20 hours ago, njmomof2 said:

Good morning.

I have first time cruisers going to Bermuda in June on Escape.  I'd like to tell them options for transportation off the ship when it docks (at the Dockyard?) so they can figure out what they want to do and how to do it.

I believe that there is a free ferry to St. George, is that correct?  Also, if they want to go to Hamilton, there is a "for fee" ferry as well, all from the same place?  If someone could confirm this and perhaps tell me the cost if they want the ferry to Hamilton, I'd appreciate it.

They are looking at some excursions, haven't discussed that with them yet, but I'd at least like to give them some basic information on getting off and getting around when they first arrive.

For some reason, I just haven't had a lot of clients going to Bermuda, and probably none on NCL. 

Thanks for the information.

Are you a Travel Agent??

We did Crystal Caves and Swizzle Inn.....also took the Free Ferry. Bermuda was my first cruise experience, and chosen simply because the ship is at port for multiple days, so that took away the fear of being a you tube pier runner. 

2 hours ago, realnurse2 said:

What's the best way to get to the Harbour Nights festival in Hamilton on Wed night and timing for ferries?

Take the Blue Route ferry to Hamilton. Here's the schedule. http://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer Ferry Schedule 2019.pdf  .As you can see there's an extra ferry from Hamilton to Dockyard on Wednesday nights at 10:30 to accommodate the Harbour Nights crowds.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, realnurse2 said:

Thanks -that is very helpful! It also looks like seniors ride free?

1 hour ago, Sunnysafari said:

Seniors don’t ride free unless they have a “special persons pass”.  That’s what I’m reading anyway.

"Sunnysafari" is correct. Seniors don't ride free unless they're residents of Bermuda holding a Special Persons pass.