Parking car while cruising.

cruise cook

Taking Anthem of the Seas next month and it's our first time out of NJ.  We will be driving to the port from NH. Trying to decide if we should park at the port or if the car can be left at the Best Western Plus (stay and cruise plan).  If we leave it at the Hotel It'll only save us about $200.  I'd rather have my car back safe and sound.  Any thoughts??

If you want your car safe and sound, park at the pier....

That hotel isn't the best at all.  We don't usually suggest it...first, it's a pain in the rear to get to if you're not paying attention..second there is nothing around...you'll have to go out and deal with the crap show on Route 1&9...

Can you try and book at one of the hotels on International Blvd at exit 13A such as the Courtyard or Residence Inn EWR/Elizabeth, the Embassy Suites or as a last option, the Country Inn (that's I think STILL being renovated and has THE. SLOWEST. ELEVATORS. in the world?)

Those hotels above are easier to get to and there are some food options right adjacent to them.

4 minutes ago, cruise cook said:

Thank you both for the help. We'll park at the pier and look for one of the other hotels.  Or perhaps stay about an hour out and drive in the morning of the cruise. 

What exact date do you need a hotel room?  How many people?  Budget?  Bed size requirements?  We drive to the NY area several times a year and stay in the Westchester, Greenwich, Stamford area.

We will be staying overnight on May 22. 2 people 2 beds. No budget but what we don't spend on parking and lodging we can spend on the cruise..I just thought staying outside Newark may be more pleasant and we don't mind driving the rest of the way to the port in the morning.

17 minutes ago, cruise cook said:

We will be staying overnight on May 22. 2 people 2 beds. No budget but what we don't spend on parking and lodging we can spend on the cruise..I just thought staying outside Newark may be more pleasant and we don't mind driving the rest of the way to the port in the morning.

What kinds of hotels do you normally stay at?  Prices are running $150-200, but there are budget choices for less.

Just be advised that, at most of the hotels, even overnight guests (near EWR) pay for parking.....for instance, parking at the Marriott is 44 bucks per night even for a guest.. OUCH....some of the others charge between 15-20 bucks per night...and well, I remember when it used to be free....eek

21 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

Just be advised that, at most of the hotels, even overnight guests (near EWR) pay for parking.....for instance, parking at the Marriott is 44 bucks per night even for a guest.. OUCH....some of the others charge between 15-20 bucks per night...and well, I remember when it used to be free....eek

OUCH is right.  I searched their web site but it doesn’t specifically quote the parking charge.. They’re probably embarrassed to put that in black and white.  It’s probably a rate that’s similar to the daily airport parking rate for being close to the terminals.

The Hyatt Regency in Old Greenwich is $161 plus tax for your date for Hyatt members (free to join). $144 plus tax if you prepay.  Two double beds.

Where are you coming from in NH?  I drive this route several times a year from NW of Boston.  I will post back a suggested route for you.  IMO it’s a long trip from the Boston/NH and you will be happy to get off the road and not deal with NYC after the drive.

Wait until 9:00 am to leave for the port.  

Take I95 south to I287 to cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 2 in CT (no exit 1).  This cutover involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through one or two lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($6 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!).  The toll is worth every penny because it avoids the hideous I87 & I95 interchange in the Bronx.

From the Henry Hudson you take the George Washington Bridge exit and slide over to the middle left lane.  Follow the NJ Turnpike signs.  When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

If you’re looking for a budget hotel, check out the LaQuinta in Stamford.  AAA or senior rate for your date is just over $100 for 2 queens.  It’s not fancy, but it does the trick for us and we have stayed there a number of times.  We are staying there next weekend.  It’s an easy on easy off from I95.  Free WiFi and free breakfast plus a great onsite diner.  There are a few steps with luggage, but there is an ADA lift if you need it.

We have a cruise leaving Bayonne in a month, driving from SE MA, and always stay at Hyatt Regency on Putnam Ave. It's a beautiful hotel, easy off/on rt 95 and enjoy a nearby Italian restaurant, Pomodoro. We have been long-time Hyatt members and frequently use our points to off-set the price. However, the rates we got for May 11th, were less than area budget hotels. 

Darcy

Just now, WatchHill said:

We have a cruise leaving Bayonne in a month, driving from SE MA, and always stay at Hyatt Regency on Putnam Ave. It's a beautiful hotel, easy off/on rt 95 and enjoy a nearby Italian restaurant, Pomodoro. We have been long-time Hyatt members and frequently use our points to off-set the price. However, the rates we got for May 11th, were less than area budget hotels.

Darcy

Thank you all. A lot to think about.  At this point I think we'll stay out a ways and drive in in the morning. 

138 east  we are driving from Nashua, NH.  I think the route you gave us sounds good.  Although now my travelling companion is suggesting we make a stop in White Plains to visit a relative.  I'll have to think about this possibility and perhaps stay overnight there.

5 minutes ago, cruise cook said:

Thank you all. A lot to think about.  At this point I think we'll stay out a ways and drive in in the morning. 

138 east  we are driving from Nashua, NH.  I think the route you gave us sounds good.  Although now my travelling companion is suggesting we make a stop in White Plains to visit a relative.  I'll have to think about this possibility and perhaps stay overnight there.

We’re neighbors!  We drive 495 to 290 to Mass Pike to 84 to 91 and take exit 17 for the Wilbur Cross/Merritt.  Exit 54 is the cutover to I95.

From White Plains you want to get on the Saw Mill River Parkway to the Henry Hudson to the GW Bridge.  The Tappen Zee is an alternative.  Listen to the 880AM or 1010AM traffic reports.

22 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We know people who left their car and shuttled to the pier but after the cruise there were huge delays in   the shuttle. We always park at cruise ports  .We like to have our car as soon as we leave the ship.

I agree.  I like to be able to get in my car right away and not take an hour to find transportation and get back to the car before heading home. Worth the price.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 3:10 PM, cruise cook said:

Taking Anthem of the Seas next month and it's our first time out of NJ.  We will be driving to the port from NH. Trying to decide if we should park at the port or if the car can be left at the Best Western Plus (stay and cruise plan).  If we leave it at the Hotel It'll only save us about $200.  I'd rather have my car back safe and sound.  Any thoughts??

Our older daughter's family often cruise out of NJ and they have found it best by far to park at the port.  :classic_wink:

8 of us are crusing in the Anthem on 5/22/19 coming 1hr west of Philadelphia, what would be a good time to head to the port? I'm hearing of traffic bumper to bumper concerns regarding exits 14A,B and C exits any suggestions 

40 minutes ago, Tomnsgirl said:

8 of us are crusing in the Anthem on 5/22/19 coming 1hr west of Philadelphia, what would be a good time to head to the port? I'm hearing of traffic bumper to bumper concerns regarding exits 14A,B and C exits any suggestions 

Perhaps you’re on Anthem on Thursday May 23?  I’d be leaving about 8-8:30 am. Traffic will ease up after 9 am.