Anthem: 2nd time would go again for right price.

Quick thoughts recently off Anthem. Will try to answer questions if you have any....

1) The Royal IQ App is glitchy. I couldn't get it to show Break Out Puzzle room until 4 pm and then there was only one time slot left. Be sure to schedule this as soon as you board.

2) Speaking of boarding, it's super smooth in Bayonne. Arrived at 10:15. On the ship by 11:00. Room ready at exactly 1:00. NOTE: There is a coke machine in the terminal. $2.00 a plastic bottle 16.9 oz. Grabbed a few for the room since I flew in and didn't pack soda in checked luggage.

3) Ifly is amazing. I skipped North Star this trip. Didn't do bumper, roller skating, but did watch the trapeze which was entertaining. Flow rider is always fun to watch.

4) I thought WWRY was better this time around. Didn't bother with the gift. Walked out of Spectra as the sound system was off that evening. 

5) Coco Cay is terrific. Very impressed with the work RCL has done. Unfortunately, the pool was simply too cold to enjoy for me. No issues at all getting a chair or hammock anywhere and the new buffet area is much more efficient. 

6) Dennis scheduled the movie "Bohemian Rhapsody" at the same time as the tribute band was playing in 270. Scheduling fumble, but I watched Green Book one evening (great movie). I've never felt that the cruise director makes much of a difference for me until last year on the Equinox. Dennis has been with the company 29 years. He's obviously competent, but I wouldn't call him 'fun' or engaging. Same joke different night.

7) Anthem does not hold her crowds well. I remember feeling this from the first sailing. Crowding is an issue on this ship more so than other ships her size. Not just in Esplanade', crowds just don't disperse well from any venue.

8. I appreciate Royal allowing 2 bottles of wine and soda. I flew in with a box of wine and didn't worry about it breaking in my checked luggage. Blackbox sells a box that is exactly 2 bottles (1,500 ml). It was perfect for the plane. Security didn't bat an eye.

9) For some reason I thought the pizza was significantly better this year in sorrentos. 

10) Our steaks in chops were both quite poor. Didn't complain, didn't leave hungry, but probably won't be back. Really missed the scallop appetizer and with chewy steaks there really isn't much on that menu that is superb any longer (in our opinion). Jamies was still very good. I'm not much of a pasta person, but the mushroom linguine was exceptional. Recommend a small plate as an appetizer. 

11) Room service breakfast had only one error all week! I recommend the oatmeal as it's the only hot item on the complimentary breakfast menu and it's actually very good. That with fresh fruit and coffee made a perfect breakfast on the balcony. 

12) Didn't do windjammer for breakfast (see above) but did wander in during lunch and a few times for dinner. I appreciate the wake view outside aft and the kitchen in the very back did not get much use if you are trying to avoid crowds. Never ate in solarium, not sure why.

13) I'm a big fan of the tribute band concept and Music hall. I'm happy to see they are putting some of the tribute bands on other ships. 

14) Debarkation was smooth as silk. 

15) I ate with the  elderly 'resident' with the dog. He didn't have the dog with him (in windjammers), but I accidentally sat next to him at one of the high top shared tables. What a joy that was :classic_rolleyes:

16) I love 270. IMO, this venue is perhaps the best at sea. It's underused. Would love to see additional events scheduled in there. The cafe in 270 is really good also.

Final thoughts: I appreciate the ease of sailing out of Bayonne. Spring Break Plane tickets to Florida from Michigan were running aver $500 a piece. Airfare into Newark was $157. Other than the crowding, Anthem is a perfect cool weather ship and offers something for everyone. It is very likely I'll sail Oasis out of Bayonne as soon as she comes this way.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
royal IQ app
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Quick thoughts recently off Anthem. Will try to answer questions if you have any....

1) The Royal App is glitchy. I couldn't get it to show Break Out Puzzle room until 4 pm and then there was only one time slot left. Be sure to schedule this as soon as you board.

I assume you meant the Royal IQ app - don't want to confuse folks with the RCI app.

No surprise on the Royal IQ app.  It has always been buggy and they stopped all developmental work on it when they decided to go forward with the new RCI app.  

I've never tried to fly with box wine, always afraid the bag would break with the pressure change.  

One thing that Dennis does well is the top tier event when it's in two70°.  His booming radio voice announcing the ships as they appear on the vistarama screens has been the best of any CD that has tried it.  

I've always enjoyed WWRY and prefer it compared to some of the broadway shows on other ships.

I was hoping to jump on Anthem last minute when Oasis cancelled but Anthem wasn't taking reservations for solo guests.

2 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

Thanks for the pic but what is it?  A lounge, a dining room, something else?

All of the above - it's a multi-purpose venue (including shows) at the aft end of deck 5/6.

Edited by Biker19

2 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

Thanks for the pic but what is it?  A lounge, a dining room, something else?

Kind of all three. It's a lounge with entertainment and Cafe Two70 makes it part dining room (although the tables for eating are separated from the lounge area. They show Spectre's Cabaret there among other things.

8 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Kind of all three. It's a lounge with entertainment and Cafe Two70 makes it part dining room (although the tables for eating are separated from the lounge area. They show Spectre's Cabaret there among other things.

don't forget the library.

37 minutes ago, Bloodgem said:

It's a lounge with a bar and entertainment. With a cafe next to it. 

It's a place to relax.  Go to the back and sit in one of those comfortable chairs and look at the churning of the sea by the propellers/azipods.  Our first sail on Anthem 9 nite NE/Canada sail  we happened to be by 2x70 café and enjoying some coffee/snacks, and as the ship was leaving it went up the Hudson River and we got some exciting views of Lady Liberty, NYC downtown skyline and Ellis Island.

19 minutes ago, carnival03 said:

You mentioned crowding, what was lounge chair availability like? 

Did you dine in the MDR? If so, how long was dinner service on average?

Thanks for the thoughts :)

For my past experiences on 3 Anthem sails we usually get a table for 2 (early dining) and dinner is completed within 1-1:15 hours.

• Like 1

As others have mentioned, 270 is a multipurpose room. Of course a bar. They held the Captain question/answer there and it worked well. Most of the time during the day it’s a very quiet spot to read or watch the wake (the library is upstairs in 270). 

What makes it truly stand out for me is not only the 2 story wake views- the room is suoer high tech by cruise ship standards. Several “drop” stages strategically placed allowing things to appear from below (which make spectra interesting). They also have the option of trapeze type artistic dancing drop from the ceiling.

For breakfast and lunch it’s pretty quiet and as mentioned offers a terrific wake view from an inside venue.  I also think the menu in the attached cafe is very good - perhaps excellent- for a cafe. A whole array of breakfast sandwiches, a coffee bar providing a decent cup of java, lunch has the kimmelwick sandwich and also a really good Rubin or 3 cheese grilled on panini and 5 or 6 different salads.

There are 5 huge pixel screens that can drop down, spin, turn sideways, etc... these  add to the concert feel when the tribute band plays in 270. They also offer a few short vista presentations throughout the week (again, very underutilized imo).

RCL also put together a fireworks show for the screens that was designed for NYE, but I believe they show it at the end of every cruise. 

Below are some photos (they aren’t all mine). 

Obviously I don’t understand the complex workings of making a cruise ship activity calendar, but if I did that room would get lots more scheduled action.

6D278CB1-9D7B-4092-9088-BDCD2ED28EDC.jpeg

5D241739-D1FB-4414-926B-726FE5370093.jpeg

CA954B1D-4863-4B93-A112-73C9D2892E29.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 10:15 AM, nelblu said:

It's a place to relax.  Go to the back and sit in one of those comfortable chairs and look at the churning of the sea by the propellers/azipods.  Our first sail on Anthem 9 nite NE/Canada sail  we happened to be by 2x70 café and enjoying some coffee/snacks, and as the ship was leaving it went up the Hudson River and we got some exciting views of Lady Liberty, NYC downtown skyline and Ellis Island.

I was on the first NE/Canada cruise in 2016 and will be repeating it this August.😁

At that time all the MDRs had separate menus and only the Grande required a jacket except for the first and last night. There was no formal night. With the MDRs having the same menus should I pack a jacket or a suit?😕

Being the first cruise for the Anthem LIVE lobsters were brought on board and were served without extra fee in the MDRs and WJ. Was this a one time occurrence or did it happen on your cruise?

The trip up the Hudson happened on my cruise too. 

12 minutes ago, JayS said:

I was on the first NE/Canada cruise in 2016 and will be repeating it this August.😁

At that time all the MDRs had separate menus and only the Grande required a jacket except for the first and last night. There was no formal night. With the MDRs having the same menus should I pack a jacket or a suit?😕

Being the first cruise for the Anthem LIVE lobsters were brought on board and were served without extra fee in the MDRs and WJ. Was this a one time occurrence or did it happen on your cruise?

The trip up the Hudson happened on my cruise too. 

Yes, it was called Dynamic Dining and I truly miss to this day and the different menus as compared to today's bland uniform menu.  DD was different than the concept on the Quantum.  Our first sail on Anthem was August 26, '16 and we got whole lobsters served in the dining rooms when we left Bar Harbor.  Our waiter told us that RCL purchased some $$250k in lobsters and boy were we surprised and glad.  This was in addition to lobsters in the Grande.

Edited by nelblu

21 hours ago, nelblu said:

Yes, it was called Dynamic Dining and I truly miss to this day and the different menus as compared to today's bland uniform menu.  DD was different than the concept on the Quantum.  Our first sail on Anthem was August 26, '16 and we got whole lobsters served in the dining rooms when we left Bar Harbor.  Our waiter told us that RCL purchased some $$250k in lobsters and boy were we surprised and glad.  This was in addition to lobsters in the Grande.

Looks like we were on the same cruise. Interesting to see the changes.😊