Objective view on all the criticism/alternatives

MrMike45

Appreciate all the responses, and this not turning argumentative.  

The goal of my post was to hopefully see the constructive side of the criticism that some people have/post about, and also to get an idea of what other options out there don't have those same issues.  This is a public forum.  People can post whatever they want (as long as within the rules by the mods).  It can be a detailed negative review, or something as simply as "NCL SUCKS!".  They have that right.  And I have the right to read/respond or to keep it moving.  Basic premise on message boards.  

But as someone else said...when 3 of the major cruise lines all have a bunch of negative complaints, and most of those complaints are similar in nature...i'm interested to hear what the alternatives are.  

1 hour ago, MrMike45 said:

Appreciate all the responses, and this not turning argumentative.  

The goal of my post was to hopefully see the constructive side of the criticism that some people have/post about, and also to get an idea of what other options out there don't have those same issues.  This is a public forum.  People can post whatever they want (as long as within the rules by the mods).  It can be a detailed negative review, or something as simply as "NCL SUCKS!".  They have that right.  And I have the right to read/respond or to keep it moving.  Basic premise on message boards.  

But as someone else said...when 3 of the major cruise lines all have a bunch of negative complaints, and most of those complaints are similar in nature...i'm interested to hear what the alternatives are.  

Alternatives?  If you’re not wanting to sail in something like NCL’s Haven, or MSC’s YC, then you’ll be looking at something like SilverSea, Regent, or something of that ilk.  But, you’re going to be spending a whole lot more money for one of their cruises.

Some have alluded to the new Virgin Voyages.  But, they haven’t sailed yet.  Supposed to be all-inclusive (no children).  Although, I’ve only seen 4-5 night cruises.  And, unless you want an inside room, they tend to be a bit pricey.  They aren’t sailing until 2020.  So jury is still out.  I’m interested in Virgin.  But, will probably let the dust settle a little bit and hear what some of the early passengers have to say before making any sort of commitment.

Years ago here on CC someone opined on this NCL board in response to a REALLY intense flame war that was going on: "ANY day on ANY cruise ship on ANY cruise line is better than a day at home."  Have to agree with those sentiments...unless, of course,  you're Jeff Bezos or another member of the 1%...lol

Agree 100% with adage that most people are more apt to complain than praise.  Simple human nature.

Like many of the previous posters I am also getting sick & tired of NCL "nickel and dimeing" us whenever they get a chance.  TG DW & I are not big alcohol fans; I'd go bazoomy if I paid for the unlimited drinks package & then "discovered" the limitations as described by many others on this forum.  Same thing with some of the other so-called NCL "promotions" in the NCL DelRio Era.  I guess those of us who've sailed with NCL a long time (we started in 2004 or so) expect better.  Yes, I get it that NCL is a business & has to make $$.  I just sometimes wish, I guess, that it wasn't so blatant.

• Like 1

It appears to be human nature to proselytize.  That term is usually meant for religion, convincing others to convert to your religion, but it seems to be operative in many areas of society as well.  My personal opinion (I'm neither a shrink, sociologist or anthropologist) is that most people crave validation that their choice is the "right" choice, and by getting others to do things their way - their preferred cruise line, their favorite movie, their favorite restaurant - they are validated.  I suspect that's what much of this is about.

I think we all would be happier if we stuck with what is important to US, and didn't judge what's important to others.  Some folks care so much about towel animals that maybe they WOULD switch cruise lines over it.  It's their right.  Others LOVE some cruise line, for whatever reason.  Also their right.  It's my right to stick with NCL for my own reasons (or not, if they no longer fit within my pocketbook or their services no longer meet my needs or the cruise experience isn't up to what we think it should be).  No need to criticize either way.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, erdoran said:

It appears to be human nature to proselytize.  That term is usually meant for religion, convincing others to convert to your religion, but it seems to be operative in many areas of society as well.  My personal opinion (I'm neither a shrink, sociologist or anthropologist) is that most people crave validation that their choice is the "right" choice, and by getting others to do things their way - their preferred cruise line, their favorite movie, their favorite restaurant - they are validated.  I suspect that's what much of this is about.

I think we all would be happier if we stuck with what is important to US, and didn't judge what's important to others.  Some folks care so much about towel animals that maybe they WOULD switch cruise lines over it.  It's their right.  Others LOVE some cruise line, for whatever reason.  Also their right.  It's my right to stick with NCL for my own reasons (or not, if they no longer fit within my pocketbook or their services no longer meet my needs or the cruise experience isn't up to what we think it should be).  No need to criticize either way.  

Amen!

18 minutes ago, erdoran said:

WORD

• Like 1

As you will see from a preponderance of responses, many will criticize and complain but continue booking cruise after cruise with the same company.

Perhaps it is in hopes someone will listen and changes will happen.  

I firmly believe it, for most, is for an entirely different reason.

It would be counter-intuitive to sail again and again with a line that repeatedly disappoints (unless one is a glutton for punishment).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

As you will see from a preponderance of responses, many will criticize and complain but continue booking cruise after cruise with the same company.

It would be counter-intuitive to sail again and again with a line that repeatedly disappoints (unless one is a glutton for punishment).

I would agree with this 100%  We are "NCL loyalists" only because that is all we have cruised on.  We live 30 mins from the Manhattan terminal here in NY.  My wife will not fly.  So, our cruises are those that leave from NY.  Our first cruise was our honeymoon on the Gem to Bermuda.  We were both very leery as to what to expect as neither of us had been on a boat for longer than a few hours.  7 days later, we had the greatest times of our lives and were hooked.  We both gamble, NCL CAS offered us a nice discount on our next booking.  And the cycle has continued, up until recently...

There were other lines leaving from the NY/NJ but the discounts we received from NCL, and the fact that every cruise we went on was great, we never bothered to look elsewhere.  MSC is leaving from NY this October.  Their ships and cruise model are vastly different than what NCL offers (or so it seems), but the price on an October cruise was better than any discount offered thru CAS...so we booked it.  Finally had a reason to look at other companies....price/itinerary/value.  Maybe we will love MSC and become platinum plus on their line (or whatever top tier is called)...maybe we will hate it and it will be a one and done and we realize we're more into the "freestyle" of NCL.  Who knows.  But continuing to book with a company over and over, while at the same time complaining about that same company, seems absurd to me.  I would look for alternatives which I could A) afford and B) I wouldn't have those same complaints about.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

I would agree with this 100%  We are "NCL loyalists" only because that is all we have cruised on.  We live 30 mins from the Manhattan terminal here in NY.  My wife will not fly.  So, our cruises are those that leave from NY.  Our first cruise was our honeymoon on the Gem to Bermuda.  We were both very leery as to what to expect as neither of us had been on a boat for longer than a few hours.  7 days later, we had the greatest times of our lives and were hooked.  We both gamble, NCL CAS offered us a nice discount on our next booking.  And the cycle has continued, up until recently...

There were other lines leaving from the NY/NJ but the discounts we received from NCL, and the fact that every cruise we went on was great, we never bothered to look elsewhere.  MSC is leaving from NY this October.  Their ships and cruise model are vastly different than what NCL offers (or so it seems), but the price on an October cruise was better than any discount offered thru CAS...so we booked it.  Finally had a reason to look at other companies....price/itinerary/value.  Maybe we will love MSC and become platinum plus on their line (or whatever top tier is called)...maybe we will hate it and it will be a one and done and we realize we're more into the "freestyle" of NCL.  Who knows.  But continuing to book with a company over and over, while at the same time complaining about that same company, seems absurd to me.  I would look for alternatives which I could A) afford and B) I wouldn't have those same complaints about.  

there is a program if you are platinum on ncl you can become gold on msc, you have to register before your cruise, so might want to look into it

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

I agree 100% with this.

As i said on another thread, we have only cruised NCL out of convenience. We like NCL prices, itineraries, we love the freestyle ( just not willing to wear ties and suits, have had enough of that) and fits our needs but we are far from being loyalists or defenders. We have definitely seen the decline in services maybe because of cruising with them over and over again but right now  they still provide  the best bang for our buck ( and we do check and do see the major NCL price hikes) but when that no longer happens we will take a pause and look for other options.  We always enjoy our cruise no matter what, but we refuse to put blinders on and say NCL is the best.

On 4/16/2019 at 11:19 AM, ZsaZsa2019 said:

It's human nature to complain when things go wrong or you aren't happy, but not as many people return the favor when they are pleased and things go the way they should.  

For the most part, it's been a while since we cruised so I imagine the way NCL is doing things is the new way of cruising.  However, our last cruise was Celebrity about three years ago, and I don't recall all this pre-planning.  We didn't reserve any dining before getting on the ship, and never had to reserve any shows or entertainment.  We booked, paid and were set to go.  But again, I'm sure things have changed.  It's not my preferred way to vacation, but we were asked to join some friends on an Alaska cruise and are excited about it.

We usually cruise on NCL's mid sized ships out of Boston, so we hardly ever pre-plan anything.  The shows on the mid sized ships don't require reservations, we'll book our platinum perk dinners right after we board., and pick excursions on board.  Pre planning is not our thing.

• Like 3

I think the re-bookers (myself among them) keep hoping to find an improved experience or somehow recapture the 'magic' of earlier cruises. (My first cruise was on a nearly-new Getaway with fantastic food. (RIP Flamingo Grill).) 

Also in my case, no one else has a solo product that matches NCLs. 

• Like 1