Totally Ticked at American Airlines (and Boeing)!

SRQbeachgirl

They just sent me an email informing me that they changed our comfortable 11:47am flight out of MCO to a not-so-comfortable 10:31am flight because of the Boeing 737Max groundings. We will be coming off the Carnival Breeze on a Saturday in July, so I know what MCO will be like trying to get through security. While we have made it before in time for a 10:30 flight, I just really didn't want the stress. I'd try changing to a different flight, but the next flight is mid-afternoon and we would have to make a connection (we're currently booked nonstop). 

We had planned to do the bus transport, but waiting for the bus to fill up before we can leave would probably just send my blood pressure through the roof. Not exactly how I want to end my vacation.

I didn't pay any attention to the cab situation the last time we were at Cape Canaveral. Are there lots of available cabs waiting at the port terminal for people to grab? If so, I'm tempted to just jump ship at the earliest possible time and throw ourselves into the first cab we find. 

24 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

They just sent me an email informing me that they changed our comfortable 11:47am flight out of MCO to a not-so-comfortable 10:31am flight because of the Boeing 737Max groundings. We will be coming off the Carnival Breeze on a Saturday in July, so I know what MCO will be like trying to get through security. While we have made it before in time for a 10:30 flight, I just really didn't want the stress. I'd try changing to a different flight, but the next flight is mid-afternoon and we would have to make a connection (we're currently booked nonstop). 

We had planned to do the bus transport, but waiting for the bus to fill up before we can leave would probably just send my blood pressure through the roof. Not exactly how I want to end my vacation.

I didn't pay any attention to the cab situation the last time we were at Cape Canaveral. Are there lots of available cabs waiting at the port terminal for people to grab? If so, I'm tempted to just jump ship at the earliest possible time and throw ourselves into the first cab we find. 

Cortrans Shuttle is $20pp.....very good and reliable company

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

Cortrans Shuttle is $20pp.....very good and reliable company

25 minutes ago, quiltsnh said:

Self debark at earliest time. And I second the earliest pick up with Contrans

Just looked at Cortrans and their 8:15 departure should work. Thanks for the recommendation!

Check to see what other flights there are, then call American and ask to be moved to that flight. Tell them it is too close of a flight to getting off the ship. They should be willing to move you at no charge. If there are no other flights that day considering spending the night and getting a flight in the AM. Anything is better than worrying your entire cruise about missing a flight.

On another note don't be mad at AA, yes there are a lot of things I can be mad at them about but this isn't one of them. No airline can come up with enough planes to make up for the grounded 737's.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ashland said:

So you're ticked at AA & Boeing....Would you rather they consider your comfort or safety ?

How about both? I wasn't booked on a 737Max, so my safety wasn't an issue. And yes, I can be ticked at Boeing for releasing a faulty product that has resulted in the death of many and ticked at American for canceling my non-737Max flight. And to be fair, I'm only slightly ticked about the flight change and of course I'm glad the 737Max has been grounded.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

How about both? I wasn't booked on a 737Max, so my safety wasn't an issue. And yes, I can be ticked at Boeing for releasing a faulty product that has resulted in the death of many and ticked at American for canceling my non-737Max flight. And to be fair, I'm only slightly ticked about the flight change and of course I'm glad the 737Max has been grounded.

dont know if you would want to do this (because of money) stay another night if aa will let you get a non stop in the morning.  The airlines just treat everyone so horribly, it is a shame. 

Airlines adjust their schedules all the time - it seems to happen to me on every trip that we book over 6 months out.  Of course, the Boeing situation has just made things worse.  I assume you researched to see if there is a better flight on AA for you to take?  If so, ask AA for it, if not, I would go for the later one, even with the transfer, as it will be alot less stress than trying to make the earlier one.

On 4/17/2019 at 5:25 PM, Noxequifans said:

It may be a bit early to be mad at Boeing .... suggest waiting  for all to be revealed. I am sure Boeing didn’t think these two crashes would happen .... they have been in the business s long time.

Why would you say it is too early to blame Boeing?!  It is their fault.  Read up on the news and you will see that they screwed up big time.  They are being sued by families and airlines.  Terrible tragedy... 

"Why would you say it is too early to blame Boeing?!  It is their fault."

Maybe, maybe not. Some reports state that there is/was safety applications available but the two airlines that suffered the crashes opted not to purchase it. Both American and Southwest have the applications and have not had any issues similar to the crash profiles. Once the full accident reports are issued we may find completely differently. Boeing being sued proves nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 7:11 PM, SRQbeachgirl said:

Just looked at Cortrans and their 8:15 departure should work. Thanks for the recommendation!

I am not sure if you have seen, but MCO has suggested at least 2 hours to get through baggage and security (unless you have pre-check).  I would be concerned about 8:15 departure arriving no earlier than 9:00 to MCO with a 10:47 flight.  It might be a tight window.

I would also suggest you could spend the night and leave early the next morning.

14 hours ago, btregoning said:

I am not sure if you have seen, but MCO has suggested at least 2 hours to get through baggage and security (unless you have pre-check).  I would be concerned about 8:15 departure arriving no earlier than 9:00 to MCO with a 10:47 flight.  It might be a tight window.

I would also suggest you could spend the night and leave early the next morning.

If I am heading to MCO for a flight with 2,000 other cruisers in addition to all those who visited The Mouse and Universal, I'd want to be there more than 2 hours ahead!!!  They probably put the 2 hours out there for "normal" traffic time...  If I'm early, it's OK - I'll just hit the <your airline> lounge, have some food and a few adult beverages!

6 hours ago, slidergirl said:

If I am heading to MCO for a flight with 2,000 other cruisers in addition to all those who visited The Mouse and Universal, I'd want to be there more than 2 hours ahead!!!  They probably put the 2 hours out there for "normal" traffic time...  If I'm early, it's OK - I'll just hit the <your airline> lounge, have some food and a few adult beverages!

MCO can have ridiculous waits at the best of times, I would think when ships come into port it could be just awful.

Orlando airport has been a zoo with Spring Break. The congestion was widely reported.

The weather is dicey in July. Good chance of afternoon thunderstorms. Many travelers prefer morning flights, when weather is less likely to be a problem.

Just got off the phone with AA and changed our flight to the next day. They didn't charge a fee to change it. Now I don't have to be stressed out--I just have to figure out what we want to do in Orlando for a day (which is not a bad problem to have, since there's so much we love to do there).

2 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Just got off the phone with AA and changed our flight to the next day. They didn't charge a fee to change it. Now I don't have to be stressed out--I just have to figure out what we want to do in Orlando for a day (which is not a bad problem to have, since there's so much we love to do there).

Have a great day.  There is so much to do in the Orlando area.

27 minutes ago, btregoning said:

Have a great day.  There is so much to do in the Orlando area.

We used to live in Florida and would head to Orlando for a weekend about every 4-6 weeks. When I changed the flight today, DH suggested getting a reservation at the WDW Swan or Dolphin Resort and spending the day at Epcot. DONE!!! 😁

2 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

We used to live in Florida and would head to Orlando for a weekend about every 4-6 weeks. When I changed the flight today, DH suggested getting a reservation at the WDW Swan or Dolphin Resort and spending the day at Epcot. DONE!!! 😁

We are heading down one day earlier than expected for our September cruise, so we are staying at Boardwalk Villas and doing one day at Food & Wine at Epcot.  Also my husband's request.

• Like 1