How far would you drive

Surrealistic

2 hours ago, JaxsMama said:

16  hours ish plus stops. Make sure to take the bypass around Atlanta to avoid extra traffic. 

Atlanta is a nightmare. Even the bypass can be bumper to bumper at times. Been there, done that. From what I've been told by some people on here, a good time to pass through is after 7pm. But with the distance we have to travel, and it taking about 9 hours just to get to Atlanta, it's not easy planning our whole trip around getting through Atlanta.

We drive the day of the cruise from Mansfield (Dallas-Fort Worth area) to Galveston.  It takes us about 5 hours after stopping for breakfast & potty breaks.  Houston has terrible traffic & once there was a bad accident that pretty much shut down the highway.  We just took off through town & used the nav system to keep us headed in the right direction.  Still boarded the ship around 1 or 1:30 - hard to remember, as it was several years ago.  We typically leave here around 6 so we hit Sam's Restaurant for a buffet breakfast around 7 or so.

That being said, it is still a risk, since you never know what will happen on the way down.  I will say that the one time we grabbed a hotel in Baytown the day before was a lot more relaxing.  The difficulty that time was waiting around to leave the hotel so we didn't get to port too early.

A note to those driving from Texas to New Orleans on I-10.  The traffic in Baton Rouge is so unpredictable that those of us who live in the Lafayette area almost always take US 90 south from Lafayette to Morgan City then to New Orleans.  It is about 10 miles longer but has much lighter traffic.  Take I-10 through Lafayette and turn south on US 90 alternately named the NW Evangeline Throughway - Exit 103A.   It is the way the locals travel to New Orleans.  

38 minutes ago, Falconrunner26 said:

A note to those driving from Texas to New Orleans on I-10.  The traffic in Baton Rouge is so unpredictable that those of us who live in the Lafayette area almost always take US 90 south from Lafayette to Morgan City then to New Orleans.  It is about 10 miles longer but has much lighter traffic.  Take I-10 through Lafayette and turn south on US 90 alternately named the NW Evangeline Throughway - Exit 103A.   It is the way the locals travel to New Orleans.  

Now that you're giving up your local secret, thousands of cruisers will create a traffic jam on your alternate route. 😜 LOL

I was preparing for a cruise 5 years ago and haunting CC to read everything I could, especially about sailing out of Galveston since it was our first time cruising from there. It's burned into my memory reading about a woman whose flight was messed up due to weather and she missed her connecting flight from Dallas to Houston Hobby. The next available flight would mean she would definitely miss the ship so she made the decision that they'd sprint by car to make it.

Her sister (if I recall correctly) picked her up at DFW and they were flying southbound and well within the time limits when they ran into traffic due to an accident. They crawled along forever, barely making any speed. She kept calling Carnival to tell them they would be there soon and Carnival said as long as she got there by 3:45, she could board. Long story short, they arrived at the port at 3:41, ran into the terminal and were turned away and missed their cruise. Tons of us were following her progress all afternoon and were heartbroken on her behalf that she wasn't allowed to board.

On a happier note, similar circumstances, a church group cruising out of Galveston had their rented bus break down on the side of the road on the way to Houston. The rental company took FOREVER to get a replacement bus there, and it looked like they were going to miss the ship. But Carnival in this case delayed sailing a bit, the driver hotfooted it (and apparently took some detours around traffic only a local would know about) and they pulled up to the ship at 4:05. We were watching them on the Galveston Cruise Cam running from the bus to the terminal once they knew their luggage was being transferred. We all hung on here with bated breath until the original poster came onto the thread to let us know they all made it, they were able to board.

That same day I booked my hotel for the night before my cruise and emailed my boss that I was taking an extra vacation day! I was sure that my poor heart couldn't take the strain of another story like those 2, especially if the story was mine!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't chance it.  As other have mentioned, you just never know what can happen.  Even if you plan to leave super early in the morning what if there's a bad accident that shuts down roads, unexpected weather, or last minute car issues?  I live about 30 minutes from Cape Liberty, that I would do the day of the cruise, or even NYC, but I wouldn't do anything more than 2 hours away.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 4:56 PM, NauticalNeophyte said:

I don’t know when you were last in Baton Rouge, or when your trip is, but traffic has been an even bigger nightmare lately.  There’s construction on I-10 at Washington St. near LSU, a complete cluster you know what at I-10 and Hwy. 1 as you cross the new bridge from Port Allen, the usual work traffic during the week, school traffic until the end of the month, and more construction on 10 East going into Ascension Parish from past Highland Road.  And next month you’ll have the college graduations too. And we’ve had severe weather with flash floods, high winds and tornado watches/warnings two Thursdays in a row.  

All that is to say you may want to give yourself a little extra buffer just in case.  Leaving at 5 you’ll miss the morning rush, but there’s been some bad accidents that have caused serious back ups lately.  Should you get stuck in some nonsense, hopefully you know how to navigate River Road or Livingston parish to get around it.  

My daughter lives in Baton Rouge and we drove to Florida twice from houston last year.  Last time we were that way was in July for her wedding. We are traveling in November, but will possibly stay in Baton Rouge instead of driving up from houston.  

3 hours ago, JerseyGirlJen said:

I wouldn't chance it.  As other have mentioned, you just never know what can happen.  Even if you plan to leave super early in the morning what if there's a bad accident that shuts down roads, unexpected weather, or last minute car issues?  I live about 30 minutes from Cape Liberty, that I would do the day of the cruise, or even NYC, but I wouldn't do anything more than 2 hours away.

Agree, living in houston all my life, the last few years have been horrible traffic with construction on every major highway.  Even when we sail from Galveston, we build in a huge buffer.  We have stayed the night a time or two and have had to take alternates but again, we are very familiar with houston/Galveston area.  Still debating on our November cruise, will prob just go up the day before.  Driving through Louisiana has become like driving in houston, especially I-10. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 4:37 PM, jimbo5544 said:

That explains the backup on 95 thru CT

Ya, if we can we try for weekend days but mid week can be a nightmare. I grew up driving in Boston so thought I was a tough driver, but Manhattan is on another level!

I live in Orlando FL, so it's a 50 minutes drive to Port Canaveral for me , we usually take of the day before our cruise, to relax and finish packing. I always leave home at 7:00-7:15am in the morning of the cruise even although it does not take long to get to Port Canaveral.

On 4/28/2019 at 3:46 PM, Falconrunner26 said:

You are so right. I grew up in Lake Charles and traffic conditions have deteriorated there as well, especially if traveling through the week.  If you know how to cut through Westlake and come up Hwy 378 in Moss Bluff you can save some time, but be prepared for lots of construction and delays there too.  

On 4/24/2019 at 7:28 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

We are in North Ga.  We sail out of Port Canaveral.  We're going to drive to St Augustine to hook up with some friends and spend the night.  We're going to drive to the port the next day.  It's a bout a two hour drive. We usually arrive a day before sailing.  I've got to tell you, I'm really nervous.  We'll probably leave around 6 in the morning to to give ourselves enough time.  

We changed our plans.  I was really nervous about driving the last 2 hours to the port.  We decided to just spend the afternoon with friends and drive down to Port Canaveral that night.  We found a good snooze and cruise hotel with free shuttle to Port.  It will end up being cheaper that way so win, win.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 6:58 PM, Surrealistic said:

The day of the cruise?  Would you chance a 4 or 5 hr ride in late summer?  Considering options. TIA

A lot of the hotels/motels in Florida offer rooms with a 'cruise parking rate', so it pays to come in a day early, stay the night, and pay about the same as you would if you drive in the day of the cruise and pay for parking in a lot somewhere!

The day of the cruise?  Would you chance a 4 or 5 hr ride in late summer?  Considering options. TIA

The longest I did was 4 hours. 

Start early and have a reliable car and an alternative route planned and you should be fine. 

We’ll be driving from Baton Rouge to Port Canaveral.  It’s a pretty long ride, but a lot shorter than out last trip up north.  Getting there really is half the fun, and it’s too many of us to be able to afford to fly, so I-10 here we come.  We’re driving in the night before though.  I was okay driving into New Orleans the day of because it’s so close and I know alternate routes, but I wouldn’t chance it any further than Mobile.  

People do what works for their family and their budget.  If car rides don’t bother you, I say go for it. It beats the hell out if staying home.  

I personally view all these calculations to really be about 'limiting options'.  That applies to flying or driving.  I'll use air travel as an example.  IF I lived in a city with very limited air service, I'd fairly dramatically increase my buffer.  No way that I'd be on the last possible plane that got me to the destination on time.  There is absolutely no Plan B left at that point. (I'm assuming one can't drive to the port or to an alternate airport.)  Last winter we faced a cancellation of our flight approximately 28 hours before the ship sailed.  Because there were alternates that SWA could put us on out of Chicago, we were stressed but 'fine' still arriving late in the evening the night prior to departure.  But with numerous routing alternatives, we were still okay.  That's why we always fly day before.

I view driving about the same.  I'd personally leave enough of a cushion that I could handle any realistic contingency. (A flat tire or route accident, for example.)  I'd also factor in the relatively modest cost of a motel getting close and rested.  

• 2 weeks later...

First cruise i wnt on we decided to drive down on the morning of the trip. Drove for two hours to Jacksonville and ran into a traffic accident. Made a four hour trip into over six. Made it in time but never tried that again. Most probably it would be easy, but I never took the chance again.

22 minutes ago, jmcathome said:

First cruise i wnt on we decided to drive down on the morning of the trip. Drove for two hours to Jacksonville and ran into a traffic accident. Made a four hour trip into over six. Made it in time but never tried that again. Most probably it would be easy, but I never took the chance again.

I agree 100% , I will not travel more than 2 hours on the day of my cruise , If its more I will arrive the day before.

Edited by Garf

I live just outside Atlanta and with my first two cruises I guess I just didn't know any better and we left around 5am to get to Jacksonsville.  1) We had no issues thankfully.  2) I was way too tired that first day of the cruise.  3) Unless there'd be no other way around it, we now arrive the day before our cruise and stay in a hotel.  Arriving a day earlier makes all the difference to me.  Lot less stressed.  Lot less tired.  Vacation starts a day earlier too!

• Like 1

3-4 hours is as far as I'd risk it.  My logic is that any further and you have to get up so early to get to the port by 11 that you'll be exhausted by 9.    I'd rather have a full night's sleep (as much sleep as you can get being excited for a cruise) and have enough energy to stay up late.

On 4/28/2019 at 6:11 PM, Shaded Lady said:

I was preparing for a cruise 5 years ago and haunting CC to read everything I could, especially about sailing out of Galveston since it was our first time cruising from there. It's burned into my memory reading about a woman whose flight was messed up due to weather and she missed her connecting flight from Dallas to Houston Hobby. The next available flight would mean she would definitely miss the ship so she made the decision that they'd sprint by car to make it.

Her sister (if I recall correctly) picked her up at DFW and they were flying southbound and well within the time limits when they ran into traffic due to an accident. They crawled along forever, barely making any speed. She kept calling Carnival to tell them they would be there soon and Carnival said as long as she got there by 3:45, she could board. Long story short, they arrived at the port at 3:41, ran into the terminal and were turned away and missed their cruise. Tons of us were following her progress all afternoon and were heartbroken on her behalf that she wasn't allowed to board.

On a happier note, similar circumstances, a church group cruising out of Galveston had their rented bus break down on the side of the road on the way to Houston. The rental company took FOREVER to get a replacement bus there, and it looked like they were going to miss the ship. But Carnival in this case delayed sailing a bit, the driver hotfooted it (and apparently took some detours around traffic only a local would know about) and they pulled up to the ship at 4:05. We were watching them on the Galveston Cruise Cam running from the bus to the terminal once they knew their luggage was being transferred. We all hung on here with bated breath until the original poster came onto the thread to let us know they all made it, they were able to board.

That same day I booked my hotel for the night before my cruise and emailed my boss that I was taking an extra vacation day! I was sure that my poor heart couldn't take the strain of another story like those 2, especially if the story was mine!

A similar thing just happened to my family 😞 we were supposed to board in Tampa 5 days ago. We were stuck in security while our plane was boarding, and by the time we got to our gate, they wouldn’t let us board ... but left with our luggage, of course. No more flights to Tampa that would get us there by 3 (when the port was supposed to close, to set sail at 4.) We contacted Carnival and let them know the situation, and she suggested flying to another airport and driving. She said she was contacting the port and letting them know we’d be late, and they would be waiting for us — that they’d call us when it was getting time to push off to see where we were. Well, we never got that call, but we made it there in time to be shooed out of the embarkation room and have to stand outside to watch our ship sail away. It returned today, so I’m going to try and contact them again to see if we’re able to get a refund. Someone took our information down at the port, but honestly I was so shaken up and I forgot to get her name and I’m afraid the refund will never come. Has anyone had this happen before? What was the outcome?

2 hours ago, JLM16 said:

A similar thing just happened to my family 😞 we were supposed to board in Tampa 5 days ago. We were stuck in security while our plane was boarding, and by the time we got to our gate, they wouldn’t let us board ... but left with our luggage, of course. No more flights to Tampa that would get us there by 3 (when the port was supposed to close, to set sail at 4.) We contacted Carnival and let them know the situation, and she suggested flying to another airport and driving. She said she was contacting the port and letting them know we’d be late, and they would be waiting for us — that they’d call us when it was getting time to push off to see where we were. Well, we never got that call, but we made it there in time to be shooed out of the embarkation room and have to stand outside to watch our ship sail away. It returned today, so I’m going to try and contact them again to see if we’re able to get a refund. Someone took our information down at the port, but honestly I was so shaken up and I forgot to get her name and I’m afraid the refund will never come. Has anyone had this happen before? What was the outcome?

Stories like this just break my heart! I struggle and save and plan our vacations so much and I really count on them to recharge the batteries, de-stress and have a good time with my hubby. When I hear this I always put myself in others' shoes and know that I would be just devastated to miss my cruise... and mad as he{{ at whoever at Carnival flat out LIED to me that the ship would wait.

@JLM16 If you don't get satisfaction I'd reach out to John Heald (brand ambassador, has his own FB page) and let him know the full story. Especially since Carnival made promises they failed to keep, you never know, he may be able to do something, maybe future cruise credit toward a replacement cruise.

Two hours.....if I need to go to Bayonne or NYC, I'd drive.  Baltimore....would drive down the night before and stay at a park n cruise hotel.  Fort Lauderdale or Miami always fly in the night before.  Need to make it on board with as little stress as possible.