Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

On 6/19/2023 at 6:30 AM, Ret MP said:

Man O Man, I don't like the looks of the bow.  Yes, I understand there are a lot of technical and economical reasons for it.  I just don't like its look.  Can't wait to sail on her though.

The steep stern is not looking better.

Edited by Saab4444
  • Like 1

Meyer Turku wrote: 

"Icon of the Seas' first sea trials have progressed excellently!

The ship will return to the Meyer Turku shipyard on Thursday 22 June. See from the video below what Icon looks like in motion when she left for her sea trials earlier this week!
According to current information, all the tests of the sea trial program can be completed as outlined in the original schedule, despite the fact that the departure for the sea trial was slightly delayed due to wind conditions.
Icon will return to dock on Thursday 22.6. as planned, after which work on Icon will resume. Food portions left over from the sea trial will be donated to charity."

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=213984164880498&id=100088067473066
  • Like 4

When do we officially classify Icon as the world's biggest cruise ship? Or is it already?

I'm sailing Allure in August, and I'm hoping I'll still be able to claim I'm sailing on the world's biggest class of cruise ship! 🌎

Although the Icon class will be bigger, renderings suggest the open-air interior neighborhoods (like Central Park) will be narrower. And, the loss of the Boardwalk is a bummer. It seems like a less impressive class of ship except for the pool deck.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Texas_Traveler. said:

When do we officially classify Icon as the world's biggest cruise ship? Or is it already?

I'm sailing Allure in August, and I'm hoping I'll still be able to claim I'm sailing on the world's biggest class of cruise ship! 🌎

Although the Icon class will be bigger, renderings suggest the open-air interior neighborhoods (like Central Park) will be narrower. And, the loss of the Boardwalk is a bummer. It seems like a less impressive class of ship except for the pool deck.

Either way, I don’t think Allure is the biggest anymore. That goes to Wonder, which although the same class, is longer and higher tonnage. 

looking at the photos of Icon, she does look narrower than the Oasis class. But on paper, she isn’t. I think it’s all down to proportions. She’s longer, so looks less fat! 

Allure hasn't been the biggest Oasis Class ship since Harmony, which is why I said "world's biggest class of cruise ship."

As far as the width of Central Park and Surfside, renderings make them seem like they're narrower than their counterparts on the Oasis Class. Perhaps the renderings are distorted.