Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uzm2VpLqp0

This is what I wish they'd do with the Pearl.

But that would mean they'd have to hire video techs that can actually run something like that. Unfortunately, Royal puts all it's entertainment $$$ into gear (and onstage "talent"), and none into people to run the gear (the techs are grossly undervalued). They've actually had to dumb down their tech offerings massively over the years (especially Broadcast), because they simply won't pay enough to get experienced techs capable of properly operating the gear they spend fortunes on.

On 7/4/2023 at 1:23 PM, Tall-Cruiser said:

So which balcony gets that space, 14\752 or 14750? It would be a shame if that was unused space.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think they would give that much free space to a balcony cabin... From deck plans site it looks like maybe access from a hallway? if at all?Screenshot2023-07-07at3_30_28PM.png.1b690c614caeeae0fa5059f9f67e66c4.png

19 minutes ago, topanga49er said:

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think they would give that much free space to a balcony cabin... From deck plans site it looks like maybe access from a hallway? if at all?Screenshot2023-07-07at3_30_28PM.png.1b690c614caeeae0fa5059f9f67e66c4.png

Good observation. That white space/hallway that leads into the gray area. Hmmm! The new hidden balcony area on Icon?

26 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Good observation. That white space/hallway that leads into the gray area. Hmmm! The new hidden balcony area on Icon?

We discussed this on page 112. I thought the same thing, a waste of space, as of right now there are no doors leading to these areas, also the deck seems to be just white paint, not darker colored like the other decks.  It doesn't look like there is access to these areas from either side.  

3 hours ago, ISHOULDABENAPIRATE said:

We discussed this on page 112. I thought the same thing, a waste of space, as of right now there are no doors leading to these areas, also the deck seems to be just white paint, not darker colored like the other decks.  It doesn't look like there is access to these areas from either side.  

I see and recall that now. Not sure what their thinking was for that area when they made the plans. If that is a “public” area the neighbors on either side might not like that. If it’s completely closed off to everyone including the cabins on either side, then for some of us, we would think what a waste. But then, some would say we are not naval architects, so what do we know 😀. It’s definitely not the same idea of the original secret balconies on the aft of Oasis and Allure. 

On 7/7/2023 at 3:55 PM, Tall-Cruiser said:

Zooming in on one of Eremita85's photos 😄

360106501_1353421055243727_3662728672889093463_n.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Like 1

"

Royal Caribbean Group is transforming waste management practices by introducing new technology, according to a press release. 

The two new systems, Microwave-Assisted Pyrolysis (MAP) and Micro Auto Gasification (MAG) will be launched onboard Icon of the Seas and Silversea Cruises’ Silver Nova. The systems take waste onboard and turn it into synthesis gas (syngas) that the ship can directly use as energy. The result is repurposing waste in a sustainable way. 

The new tools will become the cruise industry’s first systems to transform solid waste directly into energy when they make a debut on two of Royal Caribbean Group’s newest ships.

“I am proud of Royal Caribbean Group’s drive to SEA the Future and be better tomorrow than we are today,” said Jason Liberty, president and CEO of Royal Caribbean Group. “Pioneering the first waste-to-energy system on a cruise ship builds on our commitment to remove waste from local landfills and deliver great vacation experiences responsibly.”

In order to meet its goals to reduce food waste across the fleet by 50 percent by 2025, Royal Caribbean Group is implementing initiatives across its brands including:

• Developing a proprietary platform for monitoring food supply and estimating how much food should be produced, prepped and ordered daily.
  • Using artificial intelligence (AI) to adjust food production in real time.
  • Launching an onboard food waste role to monitor and train crew members.
  • Tracking guest demand for specific menu items and adjusting the planning and preparation.
  • Introducing a waste awareness campaign in the crew dining areas across all ships.

Royal Caribbean Group is also expanding its Green Hubs, a capacity-building program that has helped divert 92 percent of its waste from landfills. First launched in 2014, the program has expanded to 33 ports worldwide and is now joined by the Galapagos Islands, where Silversea became the first cruise line to gain certification in environmental management.

Royal Caribbean Group Transforms Waste Management In Cruise Industry - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

In order to meet its goals to reduce food costs across the fleet by 50 percent by 2025, Royal Caribbean Group is implementing initiatives across its brands including:

• Developing a proprietary platform for monitoring food supply and estimating how much food should be produced, prepped and ordered daily.
  • Using artificial intelligence (AI) to adjust food production in real time.
  • Launching an onboard food waste role to monitor and train crew members so that guests can now only get one entree at a time.
  • Reducing the menu options in both the MDR and WJ
  • Introduced an additional cost campaign on previously complimentary items.

now for what they really mean....

1 hour ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

The article doesn't mention anything about what kind of CO2 or other emissions occur during the production or use synthesis gas (syngas).

Probably some but less than John Kerry's private jet emits.😜

• Haha 7

Looking at a family group vacation next June and our date happens to line up with an Icon sailing.  Thinking it might be amazing with all the newness, or maybe a disaster with too many people.   But for now want to explore options.

For those who have been studying Icon, wondering if you have recommendations on the best setup for a multigenerational group.  Have been looking at all the cabin options available on Icon and there are so many - not sure where to start.

If I were booking a traditional ship it would look something like this…

1 Balcony -- 2 seniors
1 Balcony -- 2 adults 2 kids 8 and 6
1 Balcony -- 2 adults
1 Interior -- 2 adults
1 Interior -- 4 kids 17, 16, 14, 13 
1 interior -- 2 kids 11 and 9

1 suite or 2 connecting balcony cabins - 2 adults and 2 kids 14 and 8

With this setup would ideally have the balconies next to each other and the interiors across the hall.  The suite could be elsewhere.

That said, there seem to be all these cool family cabin types.  Any other configurations I should be considering to take advantage of Icon?   Or specific parts of the ship?

Edited by dbuckho

15 hours ago, dbuckho said:

Looking at a family group vacation next June and our date happens to line up with an Icon sailing.  Thinking it might be amazing with all the newness, or maybe a disaster with too many people.   But for now want to explore options.

For those who have been studying Icon, wondering if you have recommendations on the best setup for a multigenerational group.  Have been looking at all the cabin options available on Icon and there are so many - not sure where to start.

If I were booking a traditional ship it would look something like this…

1 Balcony -- 2 seniors
1 Balcony -- 2 adults 2 kids 8 and 6
1 Balcony -- 2 adults
1 Interior -- 2 adults
1 Interior -- 4 kids 17, 16, 14, 13 
1 interior -- 2 kids 11 and 9

1 suite or 2 connecting balcony cabins - 2 adults and 2 kids 14 and 8

With this setup would ideally have the balconies next to each other and the interiors across the hall.  The suite could be elsewhere.

That said, there seem to be all these cool family cabin types.  Any other configurations I should be considering to take advantage of Icon?   Or specific parts of the ship?

Hi.  First you should talk to a TA about getting a group rate.  Group rates on icon are coming in almost have of regular rates, even with the promo discount.  For the families with kids, I agree, definitely checkout surfside.  They have family balconies that have bunk beds (Think they are called infinite family balconies) which save $$ from suite, and then there is the surfside suites that have a separate room for kids and small inside facing balcony.  There is also a surfside family interior.  Not sure what will be open close to each other for June 2024, but good to get started now.  Sounds like your group is the perfect age for Icon... which in my book is any age!!