Deposits on sign and sail cards

3 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Not sure I understand your question??

The sign n sail card is what you use on board to pay for things. IF you don't give them a credit card number then you need to add cash to that card.

My understanding was that you settled up before you got off the ship by either cash or credit card. 

Linking a credit card would be ideal for me but I heard today we had to put a deposit down no matter what.

2 minutes ago, Tracey.kinney425 said:

Linking a credit card would be ideal for me but I heard today we had to put a deposit down no matter what.

You don’t need to put a deposit down if you use a credit card. Not sure where you heard that, but it is wrong. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tracey.kinney425 said:

My understanding was that you settled up before you got off the ship by either cash or credit card. 

It does get "settled" at departure, but can you imagine the chaos if every passenger (or even just 1 from each stateroom) had to queue at Guest Services to pay for their charges?  To avoid that cluster, you either provide a credit card at checkin which will be billed at the end of the voyage, or you put down a cash deposit.  

If you choose cash, and there is money left over at the end, you will get it back (unless it is less than $10 -- then it is donated to St Jude).  If you spend all your cash deposit, you will have to add more mid-cruise to continue spending.  A credit card is really the best way to go.  (DO NOT use a debit card!)  If you link a credit card to your account, you do not need to put down a cash deposit.

3 minutes ago, mdsgu said:

It does get "settled" at departure, but can you imagine the chaos if every passenger (or even just 1 from each stateroom) had to queue at Guest Services to pay for their charges?  To avoid that cluster, you either provide a credit card at checkin which will be billed at the end of the voyage, or you put down a cash deposit.  

If you choose cash, and there is money left over at the end, you will get it back (unless it is less than $10 -- then it is donated to St Jude).  If you spend all your cash deposit, you will have to add more mid-cruise to continue spending.  A credit card is really the best way to go.  (DO NOT use a debit card!)  If you link a credit card to your account, you do not need to put down a cash deposit.

This makes sense, when do we provide the card we want attached to our sign and sail? I believe my deposit was paid with my debit card and like you mentioned I do not want that linked in case of a problem, hold etc.

3 minutes ago, Tracey.kinney425 said:

This makes sense, when do we provide the card we want attached to our sign and sail? I believe my deposit was paid with my debit card and like you mentioned I do not want that linked in case of a problem, hold etc.

When you check-in online on Carnival’s website. 

• Like 1

If you don't want to do it online, you can put a CC down when you get to the port.  Holds are a bigger deal if you are using a debit card, because depending on your bank they can take awhile after sailing to fall off, which ties up your cash.  

If you put a CC down you can pay your account off in cash at the end of the cruise.  

Or, if you REALLY don't want an onboard account, you can probably prepay gratuities, and just not spend a dime on board- it probably isn't very common, but it is doable. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, purplephenom said:

If you don't want to do it online, you can put a CC down when you get to the port.  Holds are a bigger deal if you are using a debit card, because depending on your bank they can take awhile after sailing to fall off, which ties up your cash.  

If you put a CC down you can pay your account off in cash at the end of the cruise.  

Or, if you REALLY don't want an onboard account, you can probably prepay gratuities, and just not spend a dime on board- it probably isn't very common, but it is doable. 

I believe my gratuities are being prepaid, think was like $111.00 of my balance was for gratuities. 

I'm getting cheers and with the exception of 1 dinner at the steakhouse and maybe a lobster roll I don't really see myself spending any money on the ship, ports are a different story lol. But with this being my first cruise I could be completely wrong in that opinion. Guess time will tell. 

1 hour ago, Tracey.kinney425 said:

I believe my gratuities are being prepaid, think was like $111.00 of my balance was for gratuities. 

I'm getting cheers and with the exception of 1 dinner at the steakhouse and maybe a lobster roll I don't really see myself spending any money on the ship, ports are a different story lol. But with this being my first cruise I could be completely wrong in that opinion. Guess time will tell. 

It's certainly doable. I've gone a whole cruise with only spending around $20 on board. If it weren't for playing some arcade games with my son, I wouldn't have spent anything.

Once you've prepaid gratuities, you're good to go on tips. If you buy drinks on board, the gratuity for those is added into the cost of the drink. Some people will tip extra to people like bartenders, cabin steward, MDR waiter. It' not necessary, but if you feel like doing that, take some spare cash.

If you link a credit card to your S&S account, they'll put a $100 hold on the card for 2-6 day cruises. $200 hold for anything longer. Then if you reach that hold amount, it'll repeat the process.