Last minute name change

We have booked an extra cabin(inside we got for dirt cheap) for some family on our next trip.  One has a history of backing out at the last minute.  We discussed this prior to booking and decided to take the risk.  Travel agent says she needs 3 weeks prior to sail date to make the change without any fees.  Says 3 days prior is possible but has had problems doing this in the past.  I've heard that it can be done as long as its more than 24 hours prior to sail.  Several other family members would happily jump on a free cruise at the last minute.  Anyone have experience with this? 

2 minutes ago, BaumD said:

I believe one person in the cabin must stay on the reservation

Correct, at least one of the original guests must remain on the reservation, else it is cancelled.

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

That would certainly open up  some interesting scenarios. 

It would, but I think to make it worthwhile, it would have to be a stateroom that holds 3 or 4.

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That would certainly open up  some interesting scenarios. 

But only if it were worth the cost to just eat the fare for the no-show person, as there would be no refund.

If they charge anything if you under 3 weeks then your TA is pocketing the money. 24 hours is all that's required. Heck, people book cruises leaving the same week!

Edited by sailor05

3 minutes ago, brillohead said:

But only if it were worth the cost to just eat the fare for the no-show person, as there would be no refund.

For a couple without insurance who can’t go at the last minute, the idea of getting some money back by “selling “ the cabin to someone (change one name to the buyer) would be tempting. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Another hypothetical question. Original booking is for two adults. Then later add two “kids” with kids sail free. Amounts to a couple hundred bucks more, mostly taxes. Now have two adults and two kids booked. A few days before sailing, the two adults decide they can’t go. Can the two adults names be changed leaving at least one of the kids names the same?  The “kids” may end up being a no show at the pier. 

On 5/1/2019 at 9:41 PM, Host Clarea said:

It would, but I think to make it worthwhile, it would have to be a stateroom that holds 3 or 4.

I have an extra stateroom that holds 8 if someone wants it. Spring TA on Allure. 

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I have an extra stateroom that holds 8 if someone wants it. Spring TA on Allure. 

FOR FREE, John?

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

• 3 months later...
On 5/1/2019 at 7:43 PM, Host Clarea said:

Royal's rule is 24 hours before the cruise, no charge.

Just been told by RCI UK that it is 4 days prior to the cruise... !!!   I was informed it has "been this rule for 3 years"..... 🤷‍♀️

Edited by little britain

19 minutes ago, little britain said:

Just been told by RCI UK that it is 4 days prior to the cruise... !!!   I was informed it has "been this rule for 3 years"..... 🤷‍♀️

Different rules for UK bookings?

23 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Different rules for UK bookings?

So if I was leaving on a a cruise from FLL this Friday I would not be able to change the name but some one living in Milwaukee could do so anytime up to Wednesday...  ?!

Call me skeptical but I think they just made this up!