2019 September Hurricane season

Brenda64

I need advice from past cruisers that pave cruised to the Caribbean in September, am I crazy to even consider going in September?  I just need my cruise fix!!!  Ports Amber Cove, Grand Turk, San Juan also 4 fun days at sea.   Any advice on September cruising would be great.

Brenda

We've had about a dozen September cruises.  Yes, there's a chance of a cancellation or change of itinerary.  Those things can happen in other (non-hurricane season) months too.  Not a big deal.

• Like 3

I've cruised in September several times.  Just be prepared for the possibility of an itinerary change.  My cruise last September was supposed to go to Bermuda, but went to the Bahamas.  A previous cruise was supposed to go the eastern route, but went western.  It was disappointing, but I had a lot of fun and was thankful my cruises weren't cancelled.  I am attempting to go to Bermuda this September, so hopefully it will happen.  As long as you are ok with the possibility of the ports changing, you will be fine.

• Like 1

23 years now and always cruised during hurricane season. 4-6 a year. Two years ago the cruise was cancelled because of a hurricane that would be in port with the ship. Full refund. The only other time. We returned and our son asked us how the weather was because of the hurricane. I asked. What hurricane.? never notified of any hurricane on the ship.obviously they took the ship way around it. that is it. So I would not worry. Usually you know many days in advance of any weather problems. I am not going to say it may never happen to you. But the odds are with you not against you. By the way. September is a good time to get great prices on cruises.

We cruise every year in June/July and October/November.  60+ cruises and have never even considered hurricane season when booking.  We have crossed paths with hurricanes twice resulting in a few rough days and have been rerouted twice-no rough waters.  Nothing ever serious enough to make us choose a different time of year for our cruises.  

We cruised September 2017 during Hurricane Irma. We were to call at St Thomas, St Maarten & BVI but Irma had already got to them. So itinerary changed to include Curaçao & Martinique and an extra sea day. We were told this when we checked in so had time to change plans. Others, we heard got emails 1 or 2 days before.

We are booked for October 2020 to go back.

I believe we have cruised three times in August and once it was a rather close call. But turned out to be lovely. I trust the captain knows how to navigate out of harms way. My biggest worry is flights. When the weather ratchets up, flights get cancelled quickly.

last year went on a 7day from san juan pr. I live in Florida didnt think nothing of it needless to say irma hit and then maria they got us back to Puerto Rico it was hit hard and is still recovering the problem was it took 4 days at the airport for planes to be able to fly back into Florida -nightmare   but made the best of it would I do it again - maybe

As the previous poster stated, remember if a hurricane is approaching they will close the airport.  Best to have insurance and get to the port a day or so before.

We live in Florida and while we have cruised in September (once), we do not book any cruise in August, September or the beginning of October.  That's just us.  

Also, if you do book a cruise in, let's say, September and there's a hurricane approaching and you come to Cruise Critic to vent about how worried you are that your cruise might be cancelled, your itinerary might be changed, etc. the same people who told you not to worry will more than likely tell you "you booked a cruise during hurricane season, what do you expect?"

Edited by mafig