Tours Planned in Bermuda/Refund for Bad Weather?

dazey

I just looked at the weather for our days in Bermuda starting on the 15th and it looks rainy.  We have scheduled a glass bottom boat tour and a moonlight catamaran tour.  One is with Viatour and the other through the ship.  Does anyone have experience with refunds and cancellation for this situation?  We missed a tour in Italy last year due to very bad weather(stuck in another port) but it was to be paid at time of tour so not an issue.

If anyone has had this experience I would appreciate hearing from you.

I can't speak to your specific tours, but prior to booking a tour it's a good idea to get the tour operator's policy on cancellations and refunds, whatever the reasons.  Some private tours will say they go rain or shine, some will refund if the ship doesn't dock, etc.   What does Viator say about your tour?   

Unless I'm told otherwise, I assume a tour will go regardless of the weather, unless it's not safe.

I hope you have good weather!

Edited by Turtles06

It is up to the tour company to determine if the weather allows the excursion. If it has to be cancelled by the company due to severe weather,  you may get a refund or credit depending on the details in the excursion policy. 

This sounds like our first cruise. We went to Bermuda and had also scheduled a glass bottom boat excursion. About a week out the weather showed rain everyday. Major disappointment. We pulled out of Baltimore and it was pouring. The next day we woke up to a sunny sky. The weather could not have been nicer. It was a little overcast the morning we took the boat taxi across the water, but by lunch time it was sunny.  We had great weather. Don't worry about the weather forecast, most likely they'll be wrong.  And if it does rain, it should be a passing shower.

Craig

• Like 1

If Celebrity cancels the tour because of weather you will get a ship board credit that will be refundable.  If you want to cancel it you have to do it 24 hours in advance in order to get a refund.  Your tour ticket will give the cancellation date.

The private tour will depend on the terms of the tour.  If they cancel the excursion you should get a refund.  If you cancel you might or might not be refunded.

We booked a sting ray excursion thru viator last year. When we tendered, we got off and they cancelled the tour because of rough seas. I immediately called viator. after about 3 calls, I was able to get my money back. Since then, I have chosen not to use a 3rd party pre pay. I now pay when I arrive!

Enjoy your cruise and hope the weather pans out!

3 hours ago, dazey said:

I just looked at the weather for our days in Bermuda starting on the 15th and it looks rainy.  We have scheduled a glass bottom boat tour and a moonlight catamaran tour.  One is with Viatour and the other through the ship.  Does anyone have experience with refunds and cancellation for this situation?  We missed a tour in Italy last year due to very bad weather(stuck in another port) but it was to be paid at time of tour so not an issue.

If anyone has had this experience I would appreciate hearing from you.

Weather forecasts ten days out are useless. Particularly useless for Bermuda. Even if it rains it could be a ten minute shower.

• Like 1

dazey - when I was visiting my friend who lived in Bermuda a few years ago we were watching a local news/weather station one night and I asked her why in the world were they reviewing the weather that had already happened for the day.  She laughingly replied it's because they can't predict the next day's weather with any accuracy at all, so they report on the weather that has already occurred because at least they can get that right, lol.  Charles 4515 was right on the money with his comment!!  Enjoy your cruise....Bermuda is a fabulous, fun and beautiful island  ☺️    P.S.  Enjoy a Swizzle at the Swizzle Inn if at all possible!🍹

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Weather forecasts ten days out are useless. Particularly useless for Bermuda. Even if it rains it could be a ten minute shower.

So called forecasts more than a few days ahead are more based on past years weather patterns than true predictions of this year’s weather.  I have noticed that for areas that typically have a lot of short rain showers, the 10 day forecasts tend to show rain every day that far out.