Thank you, Thank you vury much

RNCheryl

In today's Ft. Lauderdale paper, of the 10 highest paid South Florida CEOs. 3 were cruise line execs.

#7:  Richard Fain, Royal Caribbean, 2018 compensation:  $12.4million

#5:  Arnold Donald, Carnival Corp.   2018 compenstation: $13.51 million

and coming in at #1:  Frank DelRio, NCL.  2018 compensation:  $22.59million

I agree with newmexicoNita, if you do not like what NCL is doing related to the cruise industry, do not cruise with them.  The more you cruise and pay what they ask, the more money the company will make.  I personally do not hold any grudges with what the CEO makes nor do I have any significant complaints with NCL.  If I find their fares are too high, I find somewhere else to spend my vacation dollars.

Also, please ensure you do some additional home work before "saying" Frank Del Rio makes too much money.

1)  he would not even be in the top 25 CEO's

2) Per an article on SimplyWall.ST, after analyzing his compensation they state "Frank Del Rio is paid around what is normal the leaders of larger companies." 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Yep, a hero to some (shareholders) for nickel and diming people to death ........

Most shareholders would probably rather be paid a small dividend than see these kind of figures.

17 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Yep, a hero to some (shareholders) for nickel and diming people to death ........

Who died ?

They provide a product. Their goal is to make a profit, otherwise their product doesn’t sell. Your only choice is to buy the product from them, or not. Once you are onboard you don’t HAVE to buy anything else. You get exactly what you agreed to in the contract. If you fail to read what you agreed to, then complain about paying for something you thought was free, that’s your issue, not NCL’s.

• Like 1

Bryce Harper hit .249 last year with only 34 HRs.  This year is hitting only .233 with 6 HRs thru 30 games.  He also signed the richest contract in the history of sports a few months ago for $330 million.  

If someone is willing to pay you that salary...you're not overpaid.  Same as with any of you and your jobs.  If your boss came to you and said here's a $25,000 raise, none of you are saying, eh, it was an off-year...I'll only take 15k.  

Get over what Del Rio makes.  If you don't like it...move on 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I have always found it rather funny that when people are asked to pay for what they actually use (almost all of which is 100% optional in thr first place) they resort to terms like "nickel and dime"...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Most shareholders would probably rather be paid a small dividend than see these kind of figures.

Now that I agree with you but I still do not resent his salary or anyone else's for that matter and I do enjoy the share holders OBC. I didn't buy my stock to get rich, but we have done darn good so far since we bought it bout 5 or so years ago. We have come close to doubling out investment, plus the OBC. And yes, it would be nice to get a small dividend. 

4 hours ago, Birdie And Sue said:

I have always found it rather funny that when people are asked to pay for what they actually use (almost all of which is 100% optional in thr first place) they resort to terms like "nickel and dime"...

this is so true: an example our grand daughter and hubby are huge NCL fans bu lately have cruised on RCI for reasons out of their control Their biggest problem with RCI is the nickle and diming and the changes in itinerary every time sail RCI. So what did they do on their last cruise, about 3 weeks ago, book a family cruise for themselves and 3 little girls. The 2 younger girls have never cruised. Asked why they booked RCI again? All they could say was, oh I don't know, it was offered on the ship and sounded like a good deal...They are not getting my sympathy. To top it off, when they checked they could have gotten a better deal on NCL but RCI has a no cancellation clause. So even though the cruise is almost a year away, they are stuck or they have to forfeit their deposit. 

On 5/5/2019 at 10:23 AM, RNCheryl said:

In today's Ft. Lauderdale paper, of the 10 highest paid South Florida CEOs. 3 were cruise line execs.

#7:  Richard Fain, Royal Caribbean, 2018 compensation:  $12.4million

#5:  Arnold Donald, Carnival Corp.   2018 compenstation: $13.51 million

and coming in at #1:  Frank DelRio, NCL.  2018 compensation:  $22.59million

Those nickels and dimes add up....

For your convenience of course.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MrMike45 said:

Bryce Harper hit .249 last year with only 34 HRs.  This year is hitting only .233 with 6 HRs thru 30 games.  He also signed the richest contract in the history of sports a few months ago for $330 million.  

If someone is willing to pay you that salary...you're not overpaid.  Same as with any of you and your jobs.  If your boss came to you and said here's a $25,000 raise, none of you are saying, eh, it was an off-year...I'll only take 15k.  

Get over what Del Rio makes.  If you don't like it...move on 

Hehe, MrMike has spoken.  All shall obey...

This is a tough crowd!  I have cruised with Celebrity, Princess, and Royal, with my first NCL cruise coming this summer.  So I am an equal opportunity CEO enhancer!  Funny how some people think I have some ax to grind with Del Rio.  I was simply reposting information directly from our local newspaper.

Any small amount of research will show you what charges to expect on board, if you take the time to check, so you can add those nickles and dimes before the cruise.

Maybe I will "move on" after our Bliss cruise; maybe I will like it and stay. Geeze

I was reading the 2019 NCL Proxy materials on Friday and couldn't help but wonder when someone would post Del Rio's salary and the nickle and diming rants would begin. While the number is accurate for 2018 total reported earnings what isn't mentioned is that the number includes part of the previous year's PSU (Performance Stock Unit) award due to an accounting feature. Actual 2018 earnings were just under 15 million. One can argue if that is deserved, however, at least be clear on the math with regards to how much he really earned for the year versus payout for a prior year's performance. This is just under the total compensation of the Fortune 50 CEO of my day job so it does seem high to me, however, the returns on my NCLH investment have been nothing to complain about. 

While I'm not a fan of the increasing prices the board has tied a majority of his yearly compensation to meeting EPS targets so what would one expect as an outcome? Obviously prices be it base fares or the various ancillary fees need to rise to meet those targets as well as internal cost cutting measures. With those targets in place that will continue and he has been clear that is the plan. Personally I'd rather see the EPS bonus target max out at 100% unless an NPS (Net Promoter Score - how likely will customers recommend the product or a similar metric) increase is also met, however, apparently the compensation committee has a different approach. 

For those that are stockholders proposal 2 is a non-binding compensation approval. Vote nay if you have concerns - last year's non-binding vote resulting in some favorable changes to the compensation structure. Ultimately shareholder compensation input as well as supply and demand drive all of the decisions that are vilified on the boards. I'd love to know where everyone goes when they proverbially jump ship as reading the MSC and RCL boards they seem to have their own share of unhappy customers. 

10 hours ago, Brian35 said:

I was reading the 2019 NCL Proxy materials on Friday and couldn't help but wonder when someone would post Del Rio's salary and the nickle and diming rants would begin. While the number is accurate for 2018 total reported earnings what isn't mentioned is that the number includes part of the previous year's PSU (Performance Stock Unit) award due to an accounting feature. Actual 2018 earnings were just under 15 million. One can argue if that is deserved, however, at least be clear on the math with regards to how much he really earned for the year versus payout for a prior year's performance. This is just under the total compensation of the Fortune 50 CEO of my day job so it does seem high to me, however, the returns on my NCLH investment have been nothing to complain about. 

While I'm not a fan of the increasing prices the board has tied a majority of his yearly compensation to meeting EPS targets so what would one expect as an outcome? Obviously prices be it base fares or the various ancillary fees need to rise to meet those targets as well as internal cost cutting measures. With those targets in place that will continue and he has been clear that is the plan. Personally I'd rather see the EPS bonus target max out at 100% unless an NPS (Net Promoter Score - how likely will customers recommend the product or a similar metric) increase is also met, however, apparently the compensation committee has a different approach. 

For those that are stockholders proposal 2 is a non-binding compensation approval. Vote nay if you have concerns - last year's non-binding vote resulting in some favorable changes to the compensation structure. Ultimately shareholder compensation input as well as supply and demand drive all of the decisions that are vilified on the boards. I'd love to know where everyone goes when they proverbially jump ship as reading the MSC and RCL boards they seem to have their own share of unhappy customers. 

Of course every line has unhappy cruisers. And yes, some of us are tired of the nickel and diming comments. I would love to know of one vacation that doesn't cost anymore after the vacation starts. Not even AI will have absolutely no extra charges anywhere. What you spend is up to you and no one else 

Our granddaughter gripes about RCI nichel and diming. I have known 3 couples that have tried and MSC and been very disappointed for various reasons. 

Thanks for a good post. 

10 hours ago, Brian35 said:

Attention Shareholders!

Read the darn proxy materials!

There are benefits from share ownership but there are also responsibilities.

Vote your shares!

End of rant!

My first source of cruise advice is my folks, who started in the late 1970s.  Their thinking was "at first we started to get a little ticked about the idea of specialty restaurants, and then the price of the drinks, but after a while we thought about the sorts of accommodations and ships we're sailing on today, the kind we were on in 1979, and the price adjusted for inflation after that much time. When we look at that big picture, it's not so bad paying a little extra for Specialty Dining."

The other piece of advice we learned was when you see or hear (for example) "Cruises starting at $499," you're a fool if you expect to plunk for five $100 bills and expect change.  That's like the radio ads for a car for $14,997 (and a huge disclaimer statement read at warp speed afterwards).  No, uh-uh, pay no attention to that figure.  Do the vacation right, get the packages you need to make it right, buy right and cry once.