Tuxedos?.?

Drwesson

Years ago I traveled with at least 2 gowns and my husband had his tuxedo. The last 3 HAL cruises we only brought dressy attire and sadly the dining room did not push the formal dress. Is anyone bringing gowns or tuxedos?

We have always dressed. After renting a dinner jacket for my 1st HAL cruise I bought a tux and have worn it every cruise since. That said, I've decided that on the Alaska cruise this August (our 4th) I'm going to leave it behind. We're taking the kids and grandkids and it could be time to relax.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drwesson said:

Lets bring elegance back!

Good luck with that! You'd have a hard time convincing more than a small percentage of passengers, and HAL isn't about to change directions on this.

• Like 1

I think it depends somewhat on the length of the cruise.  We were on the Grand Asia and at a table for 8, 3 men in tuxes and my husband in a jacket and tie.  Last cruise was a two week in Asia and more casual on Gala night and less tuxes, for sure.

There are few chances to really dress up these days and so we take the opportunity while on board.  DH always takes his tux or dinner jacket and I take long dressy outfits.  We enjoy doing this and it helps to make our evenings special and fun and something that we don't get to do at home very often.  We like seeing others doing this too but the fact that there are fewer these days, doesn't diminish our enjoyment.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, trub said:

i always feel comfortable

Me too, but I guess I like to dress up (or feel like I'm still getting my money's worth out of the purchase).

me_tux.jpg

Edited by grsnovi
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

We were on the Oosterdam in February and saw only a couple of tuxedos and no gowns. Majority of people wore what people used to call "Sunday church clothes". Most changed back into casual clothes after dinner.

Of course you should do tux and long gowns if you wish.  Why does it matter if you are not in the majority?  You should continue to do this if it brings you enjoyment and adds to your cruise experience.

We go casual and have done so for quite a few years.  We started when we were in the minority.  We passed on  MDR  formal nights in the past but certainly did not hide in our cabin all night.  Now it seems that we OK to go should we so wish.

There is far too much emphasis on conformity IMHO.  Lots of uptight people on these boards who expect everyone to dress and act in the same manner.....as they do.     Do your own thing and enjoy every minute of your cruise.   

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

An we like especially the male scottish way of formal dressing. Stunning! 

As a Cunarder, I enjoy dressing up for the formal (gala) evenings.  We were married on the Queen Elizabeth, and I wore my kilt at the wedding, and to all the formal evenings. 

If we fly to a port, then I will pack the lighter weight tuxedo.  We will be driving to Fort Lauderdale for our HAL cruise later this year, so I will pack the kilt.  I don't care if I'm overdressed, since, living in Florida, most places I visit are  casual attire (shirt, shorts and sandals).

DSC_7829.JPG

• Like 5

I still take my Tux on most cruises.  If not the Tux, I would likely pack a suit or perhaps a Blue Blazer.  But the Tux does not take up any more room (or weigh more) then a suit and it does look nicer on a gala evening.

Hank

• Like 1

I've always worn a gown/dressy long dress on all our cruises.  My husband usually rents a tux, however our last cruise he wore his suit jacket and tie and our upcoming cruise he is doing the same.  We always love dressing up on our cruises because we never do at home.  I know it is more casual now but you can still dress up if you want.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ivanidea said:

As a Cunarder, I enjoy dressing up for the formal (gala) evenings.  We were married on the Queen Elizabeth, and I wore my kilt at the wedding, and to all the formal evenings. 

If we fly to a port, then I will pack the lighter weight tuxedo.  We will be driving to Fort Lauderdale for our HAL cruise later this year, so I will pack the kilt.  I don't care if I'm overdressed, since, living in Florida, most places I visit are  casual attire (shirt, shorts and sandals).

DSC_7829.JPG

Beautifull!

Hubby always brings his tux on cruises, and I bring my sparklies - we like to dress up on Gala nights.  Not everyone else does, but we don't let that interfere with how we enjoy our cruise.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 2

I have a closet full of gowns and my husband has a tux. We like dressing up and will most likely bring our formal wear for our Greek cruise this summer. When we went on our Med cruise a few years ago, our group of 40 all wore tuxes/gowns, we noticed a lot of the same during our 8pm gala night seating. 

On 5/9/2019 at 2:43 AM, grsnovi said:

Me too, but I guess I like to dress up (or feel like I'm still getting my money's worth out of the purchase).

me_tux.jpg

Are you single?🤩🤩🧡🧡