Air Vents in Staterooms

What type of air vents (a/c) do the rooms have? I know most hotel rooms have a heating/ac unit by the window with a vent on the opposing wall. I am curious how a stateroom is set up.  After reading the #1/#2 post and watching the what to pack for your cruise videos, air fresheners are on my mind. Go figure!  I am not a big fan of aerosol cans or gel fresheners. I was thinking of bringing a Febreeze Car Vent Air Freshener to place in the slats of the air vent to freshen the room if that's possible.

Does anyone know answer this question? 

TIA

1 minute ago, ibonexheadi said:

How cold can you adjust the thermostat? 

There are no markings on the thermostat, so I can't give you any numbers.

However, sometimes we can get the room very cool, and sometimes not.   It turns out that if you have neighbors that leave their balcony door open all the time, it can severely affect the ability of your stateroom to be cooled. 

9 minutes ago, ibonexheadi said:

How cold can you adjust the thermostat? 

Most ships only have a dial you turn to the red area or the blue area, no numbers.  Anthem has digital thermostats that can be adjusted to a low of 68.  I expected Harmony to have the digital type when we sailed last week but they had the dial.  Our cabin never got lower than 70 degrees based on the thermometer on our travel clock.

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Most ships only have a dial you turn to the red area or the blue area, no numbers.  Anthem has digital thermostats that can be adjusted to a low of 68.  I expected Harmony to have the digital type when we sailed last week but they had the dial.  Our cabin never got lower than 70 degrees based on the thermometer on our travel clock.

thats unfortunate, I have a hell of a time sleeping at anything above 62. Good thing I will have to drink package, will help me sleep lol. 

4 minutes ago, ibonexheadi said:

thats unfortunate, I have a hell of a time sleeping at anything above 62. Good thing I will have to drink package, will help me sleep lol. 

I seriously doubt any ships room can be brought down to 62 degrees.  68-70 is likely the lowest you'll get.  Drink up. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ideus19 said:

What type of air vents (a/c) do the rooms have? I know most hotel rooms have a heating/ac unit by the window with a vent on the opposing wall. I am curious how a stateroom is set up.  After reading the #1/#2 post and watching the what to pack for your cruise videos, air fresheners are on my mind. Go figure!  I am not a big fan of aerosol cans or gel fresheners. I was thinking of bringing a Febreeze Car Vent Air Freshener to place in the slats of the air vent to freshen the room if that's possible.

Does anyone know answer this question? 

TIA

Depends on the ship, older ships have vents in the ceiling.  The newer ships have vents in the wall, at ceiling height, either over the bed or over the sofa.

• Like 1

Just a suggestion, but you might try using a magnet on the ceiling air vent (out flow/discharge?) and clipping the air freshener to the magnet.  The ships i'm familiar with had ceiling vents with little holes for air flow, not fins/slats.

Mary

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

These are not window units. It’s central AC like you have in Huston. Chilled refrigerant from the main units in engine room to local heat exchangers that cook the air. 

Nope.  Way too much expensive refrigerant in a system like this, and way too many chances for that expensive refrigerant to leak out.  The refrigerant is all down in the engine room.  It cools fresh water that loops around the ship, cooling air at a heat exchanger in each cabin, and in large AC rooms that provide for fresh air and for public spaces.  What is known as a "chilled water" system.

For the OP, there is an exhaust vent in the bathroom that runs all the time.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Nope.  Way too much expensive refrigerant in a system like this, and way too many chances for that expensive refrigerant to leak out.  The refrigerant is all down in the engine room.  It cools fresh water that loops around the ship, cooling air at a heat exchanger in each cabin, and in large AC rooms that provide for fresh air and for public spaces.  What is known as a "chilled water" system.

For the OP, there is an exhaust vent in the bathroom that runs all the time.

Bordering on off-topic, but do I have a central heating system that uses hot water to heat my house. No heat exchangers, no ventilators, just water at 140 F (60* C)or so. I've never seen it, but why wouldn't chilled water (like 40 F, 6* C) in the same system be able to do the same to cool a house?

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Harmony

3600675D-C01E-46CC-B120-288A9B356489.jpeg

What type of suite is that?  Balcony cabins do not have those anymore.

Edit:  Looked at your review, that is a Grand Suite.  Balcony cabins don't have those, vent in our 4B was over sofa, returns are in kick of dresser.

Edited by reallyitsmema

1 hour ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Bordering on off-topic, but do I have a central heating system that uses hot water to heat my house. No heat exchangers, no ventilators, just water at 140 F (60* C)or so. I've never seen it, but why wouldn't chilled water (like 40 F, 6* C) in the same system be able to do the same to cool a house?

Yes, forced hot water is a common home heating system in the northeast US as well.  In the US, the hot water is heated using oil or natural gas in a boiler, which would not be an advantageous design for an AC evaporator coil, so a chilled water system, while possible isn't efficient for a small space like a house.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cb at sea said:

When you make it "warmer", you're basically just closing off the vent some.  You can't really pick a temperature.

As usual, your posts are inaccurate.  Only on older ships do you close vents.  Most ships have an individual cabin AC unit that has a fan that takes air from the cabin, passes it over a cooling coil and returns the air to the cabin.  This cooling coil is cooled with the chilled water from the engine room.  What your cabin thermostat controls is whether the fan operates, and whether a solenoid valve opens to allow chilled water to flow through the cooler.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

What type of suite is that?  Balcony cabins do not have those anymore.

Edit:  Looked at your review, that is a Grand Suite.  Balcony cabins don't have those, vent in our 4B was over sofa, returns are in kick of dresser.

Wouldn't the location of the vent in a balcony stateroom vary by ship? 

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Wouldn't the location of the vent in a balcony stateroom vary by ship? 

Our balcony cabins on Anthem and Harmony have not had that big unit that I quoted, our JS did.  The ac vent has been over the sofa or over the bed, depending on if we had a sofabed in the cabin or not.  There is no large ac unit in the ceiling in those cabins.  There is a long vent at ceiling height with 1" ish square holes.  The returns have been built into furniture in our experience.  In the bathroom is the round type vent with kind of a trumpet shaped cone thing up the middle.  We have found the ac to be much colder with these type of vents.  On Anthem, there is a long storage cabinet over the bed and we can not store our DSLR camera and bag in there as it all but freezes the camera and it needed to be thawed out for over an hour.  It wasn't the typical foggy lens issue, was totally not functioning.  

You have had the big ac units in balcony cabins on Harmony and Anthem?

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

You have had the big ac units in balcony cabins on Harmony and Anthem?

Unknown,  I've not been on either of those ships. 

I was thinking of Radiance/Voyager/Freedom classes.

25 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, forced hot water is a common home heating system in the northeast US as well.  In the US, the hot water is heated using oil or natural gas in a boiler, which would not be an advantageous design for an AC evaporator coil, so a chilled water system, while possible isn't efficient for a small space like a house.

I work at a very large University. We have steam heat and chilled water for our campus. Our campus uses several chillers. A few summers ago we had a chiller down for expected maintenance, when we lost a chiller!!! That had us down to one chiller for a campus of over 300 buildings! No air for us humans so that our animals and hospital could have the limited chilled water to keep them comfortable.

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Unknown,  I've not been on either of those ships. 

I was thinking of Radiance/Voyager/Freedom classes.

Okay, I must be missing something.  I asked about a Harmony picture and talked about Harmony in my question. Radiance/Voyager/Freedom class ships have had them in the ceiling in my experience but not sure what that has to do with Harmony and the picture?