Air Vents in Staterooms

43 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Bordering on off-topic, but do I have a central heating system that uses hot water to heat my house. No heat exchangers, no ventilators, just water at 140 F (60* C)or so. I've never seen it, but why wouldn't chilled water (like 40 F, 6* C) in the same system be able to do the same to cool a house?

I live in Florida, where humidity is a huge issue.  By your mention of using hot water to heat your house and cheng mention of forced hot water system, I am thinking you are talking about radiators or newer versions of the concept.

If you put chilled water through that type of system you will get condensation on the on the radiators (or their new newer cousins) in Florida.

In Florida part of the purpose of the "heat pumps" is to remove humidity from the house, thus making the air in the house seem cooler.  Using water chilling to circulate throughout the house would not accomplish this goal.

As some one who did a 10k walk outside a week and half ago where the ambient  air temperature was 80 degrees and the humidity was around 10 percent and then doing a walk a few days ago where the ambient air temperature was the same 80 degrees, but the humidity was 30 percent, the amount of "heat" that I experienced was definitely higher for the second walk.

7 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Okay, I must be missing something.  I asked about a Harmony picture and talked about Harmony in my question. Radiance/Voyager/Freedom class ships have had them in the ceiling in my experience but not sure what that has to do with Harmony and the picture?

I probably missed the thread transition to Harmony.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gatour said:

I live in Florida, where humidity is a huge issue.  By your mention of using hot water to heat your house and cheng mention of forced hot water system, I am thinking you are talking about radiators or newer versions of the concept.

If you put chilled water through that type of system you will get condensation on the on the radiators (or their new newer cousins) in Florida.

In Florida part of the purpose of the "heat pumps" is to remove humidity from the house, thus making the air in the house seem cooler.  Using water chilling to circulate throughout the house would not accomplish this goal.

As some one who did a 10k walk outside a week and half ago where the ambient  air temperature was 80 degrees and the humidity was around 10 percent and then doing a walk a few days ago where the ambient air temperature was the same 80 degrees, but the humidity was 30 percent, the amount of "heat" that I experienced was definitely higher for the second walk.

Heat pumps are really just AC units that can be turned around to air condition the yard and heat the home, instead of vice versa for an AC unit.  But you are correct, whenever you chill air, you will get condensation.  This is handled on the ships by the large air handlers that supply the fresh air to the cabins and public spaces, where the coolers will chill the air and the condensation is collected, so that the small individual cabin AC units don't have to deal with the humidity.  Interesting note, that a cruise ship can generate 60-200 tons of condensation every day (depending on ship size and cruising area), and for most ships this water is collected and used for the main laundry washing machines.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Heat pumps are really just AC units that can be turned around to air condition the yard and heat the home, instead of vice versa for an AC unit.  But you are correct, whenever you chill air, you will get condensation.  This is handled on the ships by the large air handlers that supply the fresh air to the cabins and public spaces, where the coolers will chill the air and the condensation is collected, so that the small individual cabin AC units don't have to deal with the humidity.  Interesting note, that a cruise ship can generate 60-200 tons of condensation every day (depending on ship size and cruising area), and for most ships this water is collected and used for the main laundry washing machines.

When I lived out west, some used what was called swamp coolers instead of AC units.  Cheaper than AC, but does not work well in humid climates.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

As usual, your posts are inaccurate.  Only on older ships do you close vents.  Most ships have an individual cabin AC unit that has a fan that takes air from the cabin, passes it over a cooling coil and returns the air to the cabin.  This cooling coil is cooled with the chilled water from the engine room.  What your cabin thermostat controls is whether the fan operates, and whether a solenoid valve opens to allow chilled water to flow through the cooler.

If the balcony doors are open in a cabin what effect will that have on the adjacent cabins?  Do you know how often the filters are changed, we were on Indy last year and could see a hefty amount of fuzz through the return slats. thanks

43 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

If the balcony doors are open in a cabin what effect will that have on the adjacent cabins?  Do you know how often the filters are changed, we were on Indy last year and could see a hefty amount of fuzz through the return slats. thanks

An open balcony door all but disables the AC in cabins on the same zone. 

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

There are two AC systems in your cabin.  The one controlled by the thermostat is merely a recirculation of the air in your cabin through the cooler.  The second system provides fresh air to make up for the air removed by the bathroom exhaust.  This air is cooled by large air handlers in the "white spaces" along the center of the ship, and supplies cooled, fresh air to all the cabins on your deck within a fire zone (between the doors in the passageway).  When you open a balcony door, this unbalances the overpressure designed to keep smoke out of your cabin, and all the fresh air supply floods to your cabin, and none goes to the other cabins in that zone, causing them to warm up.  The filters on the cabin AC unit are typically changed monthly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Interesting note, that a cruise ship can generate 60-200 tons of condensation every day (depending on ship size and cruising area), and for most ships this water is collected and used for the main laundry washing machines.

Just a word of thanks to @chengkp75 -- I always enjoy reading your informative posts, and little cool tidbits of info like this are really fun to know!  THANKS!!!!

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

chengkp75, how are rooms heated in cold weather cruises?  Is warm/hot water circulated in the same manner as chilled water is circulated for cooling the rooms?

No, more typically, the fresh air handlers will have steam heating coils in them.  The cabin recirculation coolers will typically have electric heating elements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We find that different ships have different vent systems, as in what direction the air blows. We do not like it blowing directly on the bed so we bring duct tape to minimize the flow in that direction and remove it upon leaving ship. 

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

These are not window units. It’s central AC like you have in Huston. Chilled refrigerant from the main units in engine room to local heat exchangers that cook the air. 

Hotel ACs circulate chilled water, not refrigerant.  WAY too much volume in the system for refrigerant.

Refrigerant is used between the cooling tower and the chillers.  The chillers use the cooled refrigerant to cool the circulating water.

Some systems switch between heating and cooling by changing the temperature of the circulating water.  But many have both heated and chilled water available at all times.

13 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Bordering on off-topic, but do I have a central heating system that uses hot water to heat my house. No heat exchangers, no ventilators, just water at 140 F (60* C)or so. I've never seen it, but why wouldn't chilled water (like 40 F, 6* C) in the same system be able to do the same to cool a house?

Hot air rises, so baseboard hot water works well, I have it.

The BIG issue with cooling that way is, the main purpose of an AC system removing humidity.  So if you have chilled pipe, you get condensation dripping everywhere.

13 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Hot air rises, so baseboard hot water works well, I have it.

The BIG issue with cooling that way is, the main purpose of an AC system removing humidity.  So if you have chilled pipe, you get condensation dripping everywhere.

But as I said before, large building systems do circulate chilled water.  But then blow the air over a chilled water radiator.  That way the dripping water is contained in one place.

Edited by SRF

15 hours ago, Ideus19 said:

Thank you. I think I will throw one in my bag since its small.

Here are some of the types of magnets that we use. Be sure to put a piece of tissue between the magnet and the wall/ceiling so they don't leave black marks. Some of them do. Magnets are great 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MASTER-MAGNETICS-40-lb-Neodymium-0Magnet-Pull-with-Swing-Hook-97574/206503450

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MASTER-MAGNETICS-65-lb-Magnetic-Pull-Hook-07580HD/202639939

15 hours ago, ibonexheadi said:

thats unfortunate, I have a hell of a time sleeping at anything above 62. Good thing I will have to drink package, will help me sleep lol. 

We bring a clip on fan which really helps.