How do you know if you've been offered an upgrade?

Obviously I've never been offered one. A previous post may me wonder how these come through. I always thought they called you but the post made it sound like they were being made the offer through the website. Do they email you? Call You? Is their a place you go on the website to see if there are any offers? It made me wonder if I've just missed them?  

Just now, cloudninecat said:

Obviously I've never been offered one. A previous post may me wonder how these come through. I always thought they called you but the post made it sound like they were being made the offer through the website. Do they email you? Call You? Is their a place you go on the website to see if there are any offers? It made me wonder if I've just missed them?  

I havent heard of upgrades for a long time. We got a couple, but talking a decade ago now. Typically we just got an email saying 'you have been upgraded to a suite', and then it was reflected on the cruise manager. 

4 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

I havent heard of upgrades for a long time. We got a couple, but talking a decade ago now. Typically we just got an email saying 'you have been upgraded to a suite', and then it was reflected on the cruise manager. 

I think the correct terminology for what I'm asking about would probably be upsell offer. Everyone seems to call them upgrades these days but they are actually offering to upgrade you for a price. I haven't heard about a true upgrade in a long time either. 

4 minutes ago, cloudninecat said:

I think the correct terminology for what I'm asking about would probably be upsell offer. Everyone seems to call them upgrades these days but they are actually offering to upgrade you for a price. I haven't heard about a true upgrade in a long time either. 

Ah, gotcha. Yes, so as far as upsells go, they usually call and/or email us. Don't be surprised if they do, seems like we get a call 70% of bookings, trying to upgrade us to a suite. The deals vary, but are typically not very good. People get so excited to get the call sometimes they jump at it, not realizing the price may be the same as what it would have been to originally book the upgrade....

We received a call one time with a decent upsell from OV to balcony. I offered to take the upsell but did came back with a counter that was lower than their original offer and they took my offer. We have received other upsells by email but they just do not seem like that great of an option to take.

• Like 1

I have received upsell offers over the phone and by e-mails multiple times. More often than not they are not a very good deal, but I have accepted three of them over the last few years. 

The only upgrade I have heard about lately was friends of ours who got upgraded from an interior to a balcony the night before the cruise. But they are on their way  to being double diamonds (I know that isn’t a real level), which is likely the reason why they got the upgrade. 

8 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

Ah, gotcha. Yes, so as far as upsells go, they usually call and/or email us. Don't be surprised if they do, seems like we get a call 70% of bookings, trying to upgrade us to a suite. The deals vary, but are typically not very good. People get so excited to get the call sometimes they jump at it, not realizing the price may be the same as what it would have been to originally book the upgrade....

I must be an unlucky one. 15 cruises and we’ve never been offered an up sell, upgrade or anything. 

1 minute ago, RRLLAL said:

I must be an unlucky one. 15 cruises and we’ve never been offered an up sell, upgrade or anything. 

My only assumption is--we always book balconies. I assume maybe Suites sell out slower then everything else, so thats what we get called for...

Thanks for all the answers. We usually book aft balconies so maybe that's the reason why we've never been offered one. On the groups I'm on it seems like everyone was getting them so I wondered if I was missing something. I know that most of them aren't that great of a deal and sometimes they are just trying to push a bad location. It would be nice to at least have a chance to say no though. 

I actually got an upgrade on my November 2017 Miracle cruise.  We were in our hotel room the morning of the cruise when my friends phone rang.  He asked me where is 305 area code.  I told him Florida.  We went from an inside to a Balcony no charge.  Neither of us had sailed with Carnival for a long time so I don't know if that had anything to do with the upgrade.  We are both platinum and have been for awhile.  It was a really nice mid ship balcony.  We ran into two other people who also got that phone call the morning of the cruise.  One guy even got a handicap balcony cabin, he said it was huge.  

Candi

Whenever I  booked aft balconies or Havana rooms, I never recieved an upgrade or upsell offer. However, when I book interiors or regular balconies I seem to always get them. One time I even went from a Lido interior to a Lido balcony for just $10 total! 

• Like 1

I have received them through email and a red banner when I log on to my Carnival account.  I currently have an interior on the lido deck and I received an upsell to an ocean view on a lower deck.  I declined because I really like the lido deck.

Edited by TNcruising02

They are upsells far from upgrades.book what you need and don't be looking for carnival to give you anything because they won't.i don't care what any one says they got .this is the internet after all.

Got an email upgrade/upsell yesterday.  First time ever.  For $40 I could upgrade my deck 6 mid/aft regular balcony on the Miracle to a deck 8 forward extended balcony.  Not going to take it.  Deck 8 is right under the Lido which I'm guessing means more noise.  Deck 6 only has cabins above and below.  Most of the venues that I plan on using (Serenity, MDR, buffet and Alchemy) are aft.  That's why I picked that room location.  Now, if it were to upgrade to a premium balcony or a suite, then maybe!

We have been offered upsells twice, both times on HAL.  One we took ( From a Veranda to an Aft Corner Suite for $200.00pp) and one we did not (From a Veranda to a Mini Suite for $400.00 pp.)

Both times we received both an email and phone call from our HAL PCC, who we happen to be friends with IRL after meeting her on a cruise and hanging out together several years ago.  No idea if knowing her personally got us the offers or not.  She claimed it was just "business as usual."

Our last several cruises have been sold out charters, so what you book is what you get! 

8 hours ago, cloudninecat said:

Thanks for all the answers. We usually book aft balconies so maybe that's the reason why we've never been offered one. On the groups I'm on it seems like everyone was getting them so I wondered if I was missing something. I know that most of them aren't that great of a deal and sometimes they are just trying to push a bad location. It would be nice to at least have a chance to say no though. 

We once "upgraded" from an aft balcony to a suite with a REFUND of $75 because suites don't generally sell well on San Juan itineraries. There is hope 😃 I will say that I found that myself and did not receive any email about it. I missed an email for an upgrade on my next cruise (yesterday) and was so mad at myself. I am an agent, so the email came to my TA email box. It came through after I had shut down for the day . By the time I got to it, the offer was expired. I am happy with my cabin for this trip though, but you always wonder 'what could have been' - sigh 😌

Edited by Athankfulheart
  • Like 1

Having UpSells helps the Cruise Lines fill the Cabins better ..

UpGrades since we began cruising decades ago we have had UpGrades given.

ALWAYS know the Ship and Cabins Layouts.

A great way , ask your ASTA Travel Agents!  They will always have a much better Ratye and know how to tell you the Cabin Locations too.

I have received numerous upsell  calls from all the major cruise lines that I have sailed on since I got hooked way back in May 1983. I have only received one free upgrade on forty plus sailings in October 2001 on the Carnival Paradise seven day Western Caribbean sailing from Miami, Florida. Booked an ocean view room and was upgraded to a suite for my family of the three. The rest of my extended family had ocean view rooms on the Riviera Deck.

That's interesting Corby, that's one month after the 911 attacks. I was able to buy several upgrades to suites (Ok, upsells), very cheap at the pier, during that same period. Ships weren't sailing full anymore. We were at Disney World a few months later, and the Magic Kingdom was empty in the first couple of hours of the morning, something that never happens today.

Those attacks put a huge chill on any travel industry which depended heavily on people boarding aircraft.

That was the dawn of a new era. We flew to New York about a month after the attacks, and I can still remember my wife and I had the discussion before the flight, that if anything went south on the flight, we weren't going to just go along for the ride, even if it meant getting killed.  That's also when police boats with 50 caliber machine guns first appeared for sail aways.

Edited by Squadleader

I’m a retired Municipal Police Lieutenant from New Jersey who spent many days helping out the NYPD in various precincts after 911. At the end of my shift we would drive over to Manhattan and sign up at the Jacob Javits Convention Center. We would be assigned to a precinct, usually in Manhattan and head over to that location to sign in and be given radios and a map of the precinct. We usually would beat the sector cars to the calls. It was an interesting few weeks helping out. I worked with officers from Miami, Florida and various other agencies. Two officers from an Indian reservation in South Dakota were giants and the enforcers of our group. A few weeks after 911 we were told not to volunteer anymore because our insurance wouldn’t cover us if we were injured so we had to stop going. I continued to go on cruise vacations after 911 because I told my family if we stopped doing what we loved the terrorists would win.