Central Hotel in Hong Kong

Muffinz

Hi - I know this is a long way off, but we're doing the Hong Kong to Tokyo Cruise in March 2021 on Millennium and we're really looking forward to it

From my research the Cruise will be leaving from the Kai Tak Cruise terminal (site of the old Airport)

We are starting to look at Accommodation in Hong Kong..... I've googled several hotels / motels and it appears we can't make bookings that far in advance for March 2021

There are literally hundreds of Hotels / Motels in Hong Kong we don't know where to start.... So I thought I'd ask some fellow cruisers

can anyone recommend a good central hotel / motel in Hong Kong?

thanks in advance

“Central” can mean very different things in Hong Kong. Some consider Hong Kong Island to be where the action is whereas others would say it all happens in Kowloon. Be aware that there is also a district on the island known as “Central”. You need to think about why you want to be there and research which area meets those needs best.

We have stayed in Hong Kong  several times and prefer to stay on the island.  We stay at the Holiday Inn Express Soho which is on Jervois St.  The hotel is within walking distance of many restaurants, markets and attractions, as well as being a 5 minute walk from a MTR station. Also, a stop for the Airport Express Shuttle is outside the hotel making it convenient to get to and from the airport. The hotel rooms are compact, but extremely functional.  For us a hotel is a place to sleep so a big room is not a requirement.  the hotel offers a few features we use..self serve laundry, free breakfast, are two of the ones we use.  Primarily we use this hotel for the location. It was about a 30 minute taxi ride to the cruise terminal. Front desk staff are extremely helpful.

The old airport was located on the Kowloon area of Hong Kong, if you want to stay closer to the terminal.  There are many good hotels in that area, from moderate to ultra luxury stays.  I have stayed at the Pan Pacific and Marco Polo and they were both fine.  Not too fancy, but still very nice.  However, it has been awhile since I last visited Hong Kong, so I don't know if they are still in business.  They also have a Sheraton Hotel that is closer to the terminal.  I think if you use a search engine and a shorter date that will show you what reservations are available it will give you an idea about what hotels are available in that area for your future booking.  Good Luck.

Go and take a look over on the Ports of Call board as there is a plethora of information from locals who can provide so many details and tips. A particular poster from that board even explained the transport options and which cards to buy for the best value. He also provided advice for the best hotels for particular budgets and locations. His advice to us was invaluable.

We stay on the Kowloon side. The Tsim Sha Tsui area. Our last 2 cruises on Millie we stayed at Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers. It is in a good location. Photos of breakfast and the view from the Sheraton Lounge in the tower of HK Island.

HK4.jpg

HK2.jpg

HK3.jpg

HK.jpg

Edited by bigbenboys
added words

Hi Muffinz, we stayed at the YMCA Salisbury Road, don’t laugh.

We were upgraded from a harbour view room to a corner suite. It was huge, and the views were spectacular. Especially during the nightly laser show, when they pipe the music to your room.

Its right next door to the Peninsula hotel, one of the most prestigious hotels in Kowloon, with similar views at a fraction of the cost.

Check out the reviews, my wife was dubious when I booked, but she loved it.

David

• Like 1

We prefer to stay in Kowloon and can highly recommend the Cordis  hotel. We had a corner club room with a fantastic view. The Club lounge served free alcohol most of the day and night including champagne. It’s very close to Mongkok MRT and you can walk to the Ladies Market, which is  only a block away, and several other markets. Attached to the Langham shopping Mall. 

35 minutes ago, Newbury newbie said:

After a lot of research we’ve recently booked club rooms at the Holiday Inn Golden Mile in Kowloon. That’s for next February (2020)

Another vote for this hotel. Stayed there 3 times, took the A21 bus from/to the airport, stops right in front the hotel.

thank you all for the replies - some good suggestions there

We're looking for something around $300-350 NZ a night

that's about $200 US, $1600 Hong Kong dollar or 150 English pounds

what I mean by central is close / walking distance to shopping / markets / restaurants / transport.... doesn't need to be close to the cruise terminal as we will probably get a taxi / shuttle to the cruise terminal on departure day

a Harbour view would be nice if it was in budget, but it's not essential - a good comfortable bed and good shower are more important

The Cordis does look good (we've stayed at the one in Auckland NZ) but it is at the top end of our budget....

I will look up some of the hotels suggested and also take a look at the Ports of Call board

thanks again

10 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Don't know your budget but the second best hotel we have ever stayed in was the Langham Hong Kong. Worth the splurge. An amazing hotel in the perfect spot. 

Totally agree - we stayed there pre-cruise and it was superb, best service experienced anywhere but I kept my eye on prices and they did fluctuate so I got a good deal. Wouldn’t hesitate in recommending! 

you will find better deals (i.e. lower prices) in Kowloon versus Hong Kong Island.  Kowloon is a great area for shopping/eating/public transit.  There are many excellent options there.  I can recommend the Hyatt Regency Kowloon and that would likely be in your budget.

52 minutes ago, Ex-vogue model said:

Totally agree - we stayed there pre-cruise and it was superb, best service experienced anywhere but I kept my eye on prices and they did fluctuate so I got a good deal. Wouldn’t hesitate in recommending! 

It was amazing, wasn't it. If you are ever in Amsterdam, the Banks Mansion is the only place we have stayed that was better.

8 hours ago, DrKoob said:

It was amazing, wasn't it. If you are ever in Amsterdam, the Banks Mansion is the only place we have stayed that was better.

Thank you for that - I'll make a note if we ever cruise out of Amsterdam or stay over there! 

When we are looking for a city hotel we end up making a spreadsheet so we can compare costs/facilities/location more clearly. We did this several years ago for Hong Kong so our personal recommendations would be out of date.

The reason I suggest making a spreadsheet is that, for example, some hotels can initially seem cheaper but then don’t include breakfast, some may offer transfers, some may only have an outdoor pool....Some  of the ‘club’ rooms in hotels can initially look expensive but then you have tea, coffee, soft drinks and snacks all day and a few hours of cocktails in the evening often with a great view...

I suggest you list the things that are important to you. For us, for example, a room with a view was more important than lots of other things. You can then look at the recommendations made here and on trip/hotel advisory sites and compare costs...

We are presently part way through our spreadsheet for Tokyo for next year...The nice thing about starting your search early is that you can then follow review patterns on the hotels you short list before making a final decision...

Sincere best wishes for a fantastic trip and cruise!

Edited by chemmo

15 hours ago, dcb1000 said:

Hi Muffinz, we stayed at the YMCA Salisbury Road, don’t laugh.

We were upgraded from a harbour view room to a corner suite. It was huge, and the views were spectacular. Especially during the nightly laser show, when they pipe the music to your room.

Its right next door to the Peninsula hotel, one of the most prestigious hotels in Kowloon, with similar views at a fraction of the cost.

Check out the reviews, my wife was dubious when I booked, but she loved it.

David

We've also stayed there but not in a suite. The standard rooms are small but very clean and comfortable and it's location, location, location!

There is an entrance to the MTR underground walkways, which are very useful to get from one part of Tsim Sha Tsui to another in air-conditioned comfort, as well as to the MTR station. The Star Ferry terminal is only two blocks away.

I'd stay there again quite happily.

One decision to make is Hong Kong Island or Kowloon.

Dozen or so times to Hong Kong but not for a couple of years -   the debate between staying on Hong Kong Island and Kowloon never goes away, regular travellers have their favourites.

My view.... More touristy things to do on Hong Kong Island and would recommend 3 areas Central, Admiralty or Causeway Bay.  The big advantage of staying in Kowloon is harbour front views during the day and spectacular light show views in the evening which are best viewed from Kowloon.  If staying in Kowloon I'd pick a waterfront hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui (such as Regent/Intercontinental or Kowloon Shangri La - both of which have excellent Harbour View Rooms).  The two areas I personally would avoid in Kowloon are the area around Ritz Carlton in West Kowloon or out towards Kai Tak in the Hung Hom area - these in the past have always felt a bit out with slightly more awkward transport options (only slightly though).

On the island, hotels in Central such as the Mandarin Oriental is excellent. In admiralty the Island Shangri la is fab.  Out towards Causeway Bay the hotels are slightly cheaper and you have a couple of good 4 star hotels (The Excelsior (part of the Mandarin oriental group but a bit impersonal) and the Park Lane)

Public transport in Hong Kong is very very cheap  and plentiful with a wide variety of options - Metro / Tram / Bus / Ferry / Taxi / funicular - so I wouldn't worry too much you can get around very easily between the Island and Kowloon.  Part of the fun in Hong Kong is using public transport like the metro, star ferry, peak tram and vintage trams.