Want to Know Which Production Shows Are On Each X Ship?

vtcruising

20 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

And still there in Nov 2018 for the Silhouette TA.  The best thing about "Pearl" was Cruise Director Sue Denning trying to explain the "plot" to everyone the night before.   🤣

Sue Denning is great!!

She was CD on our Baltics cruise and she interacted with everyone...she had a fan club of all of the 20 somethings (our boys included)...

5 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Sue Denning is great!!

She was CD on our Baltics cruise and she interacted with everyone...she had a fan club of all of the 20 somethings (our boys included)...

My wife and I are in that fan club too, and we're considerably older than your boys.  :classic_smile:

Sue has such a great reputation here on the Celebrity board that we were thrilled when we learned she was going to be the CD on our TA.   She was as fabulous as her reputation, and an incredibly talented entertainer in her own right.  We enjoyed her five minutes or so after the evening shows more than we did watching most of the guest performers.   

She also had a tough job on our cruise re-arranging a lot of the activities and entertainment, because the night before sailing, Celebrity changed our itinerary (due to a big storm moving across the Atlantic):  adding a sea day, moving the port calls back a day, and eliminating a port. And even then, she still had to move some of the evening entertainment around on the crossing because it wasn't safe for the performers early on (due to the ship's rockin' and rollin').

I remember very few Cruise Directors, they don't usually have a big impact on the cruise.  But Sue is definitely memorable, and in a very good way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

My wife and I are in that fan club too, and we're considerably older than your boys.  :classic_smile:

Sue has such a great reputation here on the Celebrity board that we were thrilled when we learned she was going to be the CD on our TA.   She was as fabulous as her reputation, and an incredibly talented entertainer in her own right.  We enjoyed her five minutes or so after the evening shows more than we did watching most of the guest performers.   

She also had a tough job on our cruise re-arranging a lot of the activities and entertainment, because the night before sailing, Celebrity changed our itinerary (due to a big storm moving across the Atlantic):  adding a sea day, moving the port calls back a day, and eliminating a port. And even then, she still had to move some of the evening entertainment around on the crossing because it wasn't safe for the performers early on (due to the ship's rockin' and rollin').

I remember very few Cruise Directors, they don't usually have a big impact on the cruise.  But Sue is definitely memorable, and in a very good way.

We r in the club too

I don't remember any other CD but Sue. She is worth her weight in gold..she earns it... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, julsngraham said:

Hiya

Could you tell me what the show times generally were?  7pm and.?

We would like an earlier dinner (as we have a child) then go along to a show?

Thanks so much

the shows are in the main theatre 7pm and 9pm each night and generally run for about 50-60 minutes

On 5/14/2019 at 1:32 PM, Hlitner said:

OMG  wish you had not posted the link.  If it is accurate we will soon have an evening on the Summit when they perform Chandelier.  It seems like this show has been around for 20 years (exaggeration on purpose) and it ranks as one of the worst production shows we have ever witnessed :(.  Sounds like that will be an evening for the piano bar.

Hank

I hope someone from Celebrity is reading this thread.  We booked the Summit (July) to see the changes the Revolution has made. But I swear, if they don't change the shows, we will not be back. 

4 hours ago, Fogfog said:

We saw Broken strings and couldn't figure out the plot line

HA!

The Broadway montage was nice though their did Hairspray which is from the 80s.... could have found something else for the 60s imho

Haven't many of these been on the ships for more than a year?  I know Pearl was on the Silhouette in early spring 2018 

TY for the brochure post

In regards to shows being on a ship for more than a year, I could swear we saw the show "Soundtrack" or something very similar on the Summit in May of 2017. I'm sure it's not likely the exact same show, but the one we saw was about music from the movies/Hollywood. TBH the production shows don't seem like X's strong point. That being said, I do recall being very pleased with the live music in various venues throughout the day and evening on the Summit. 

19 minutes ago, bermadu22 said:

In regards to shows being on a ship for more than a year, I could swear we saw the show "Soundtrack" or something very similar on the Summit in May of 2017. I'm sure it's not likely the exact same show, but the one we saw was about music from the movies/Hollywood. TBH the production shows don't seem like X's strong point. That being said, I do recall being very pleased with the live music in various venues throughout the day and evening on the Summit. 

More then a year?  Some of these shows have been around for a least 5 years (i.e. Topper).  We remember when shows would be changed every year, then it was every couple of years.  Now, perhaps the cruise on which you become Zenith will have the same show as when you took your first cruise :).

Hank

Sailing on the refurbished Summit in June.  Hope the shows are new and improved.  Chandelier and Topper need to be retired.  Haven’t seen Soundtrack yet - although we have been on 20 Celebrity cruises.  Hope it’s good.  Comments please.

45 minutes ago, hurwitz5 said:

Sailing on the refurbished Summit in June.  Hope the shows are new and improved.  Chandelier and Topper need to be retired.  Haven’t seen Soundtrack yet - although we have been on 20 Celebrity cruises.  Hope it’s good.  Comments please.

We just got off the Constellation and saw Soundtrack. On this show, they sing music from movie soundtracks. The issue we experienced is that many of the selections are obscure and we had no idea from which movies they were from.

Edited by tjunmin

Sorry to hear about the show Soundtrack.  My husband and I are big movie fans, so I was hoping this show would be good.   I know there is a cost for using certain songs - more popular songs usually cost more money.

On 5/20/2019 at 4:33 PM, Muffinz said:

the shows are in the main theatre 7pm and 9pm each night and generally run for about 50-60 minutes

Not really every night at those time depending on port schedule. On our cruise last week, there were 2 nights with single show at 10pm and one day with a show at 2pm.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 9:31 PM, Julie MacCoy said:

I just got off the Summit.  I saw Life and Soundtrack, but instead of Chandelier, they had Broadway Cabaret.  I enjoyed all of them.

They finally swapped out Chandelier???  How was Broadway Cabaret?

On 5/14/2019 at 1:32 PM, Hlitner said:

OMG  wish you had not posted the link.  If it is accurate we will soon have an evening on the Summit when they perform Chandelier.  It seems like this show has been around for 20 years (exaggeration on purpose) and it ranks as one of the worst production shows we have ever witnessed :(.  Sounds like that will be an evening for the piano bar.

Hank

I was just on the Summit and I don't think Chandelier was on it. They had Life, Broadway review, and Soundtrack. As always we were underwhelmed with the production shows. The Soundtrack show actually had very few songs from soundtracks on it ironically. The Broadway one is always our favorite, but they did make very unfortunate song assignments... they gave the one guy with a lisp "Stars" from Les Mis. The same poor guy had to sing "Roxanne" from Moulin Rouge. 

19 minutes ago, CleverUserNameHere said:

I was just on the Summit and I don't think Chandelier was on it. They had Life, Broadway review, and Soundtrack. As always we were underwhelmed with the production shows. The Soundtrack show actually had very few songs from soundtracks on it ironically. The Broadway one is always our favorite, but they did make very unfortunate song assignments... they gave the one guy with a lisp "Stars" from Les Mis. The same poor guy had to sing "Roxanne" from Moulin Rouge. 

Agree.  We were also just on the Summit (got off this Wednesday) and enjoyed the cruise.  It should be noted that the Summit did not use any scenery (such as you find in Chandelier) and simply relied on a basic stage set backed with a 6 piece live band.  We really appreciated having music, song, and dance with nothing dubbed-in or pre-recorded.  On the other hand, we heard the tried and true old cruise ship formula of a show with Broadway music, another with movie music, and the third with some more original stuff.   Shows were all well attended so perhaps others appreciated a "novel" concept of using live music :).

I did a mental comparison with what we heard during 21 days on MSC's Divina.  They also used a group of singers, dancers and acrobats on a basic stage set (with very sophisticated lighting).  MSC had a much larger cast then Celebrity and also utilized their in-house cast for every single show with no so-called Guest Entertainers.  But on MSC we had a new show every night (they did repeat on back to back stuff) using their large in-house cast.  Those folks worked 7 nights a week but had enough members that they could rotate nights off for various members.  Music was very International with everything from Broadway to Opera mixed with some very original Cirque de Soleil type performances.  MSC designs their shows for an International audience so a number could be in Italian, English or even Spanish.   

HAL has taken a new approach by eliminating (at least for the moment) all their Production Shows and getting rid of the entire cast of singers/dancers.  They now use only Guest Entertainers (including some small dance troupes) with all music pre-recorded.  HAL also will have some "dark nights" and other nights where they might just show a documentary movie (usually about nature) as their main show.  We suspect that HAL decided that surveys showed many of their cruisers had grown weary of the usual "high school" quality production shows although many of us are very unhappy to see this new trend.  Production shows are expensive for cruise lines as they must hire, train and pay a cast and provide them with cabins.  And then there is the cost of staging, scenery, etc.  Guest entertainers come and go, take very few cabins, and do not require much expenditure in production other then paying the entertainers.

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

HAL has taken a new approach by eliminating (at least for the moment) all their Production Shows and getting rid of the entire cast of singers/dancers.  They now use only Guest Entertainers (including some small dance troupes) with all music pre-recorded.  HAL also will have some "dark nights" and other nights where they might just show a documentary movie (usually about nature) as their main show.  We suspect that HAL decided that surveys showed many of their cruisers had grown weary of the usual "high school" quality production shows although many of us are very unhappy to see this new trend.  Production shows are expensive for cruise lines as they must hire, train and pay a cast and provide them with cabins.  And then there is the cost of staging, scenery, etc.  Guest entertainers come and go, take very few cabins, and do not require much expenditure in production other then paying the entertainers.

Hank

While the nightly shows don't make or break a cruise, this change on HAL would make me not want to consider it at all. I don't go on a cruise to watch a documentary that I could see on Netflix on home, I go to enjoy new, unique experiences.

Nightly shows are an important part of the cruise for my DH and I. If HAL doesn't think that type of entertainment is important, then I'm pretty sure other aspects of their cruises won't appeal to us either.

3 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

While the nightly shows don't make or break a cruise, this change on HAL would make me not want to consider it at all. I don't go on a cruise to watch a documentary that I could see on Netflix on home, I go to enjoy new, unique experiences.

Nightly shows are an important part of the cruise for my DH and I. If HAL doesn't think that type of entertainment is important, then I'm pretty sure other aspects of their cruises won't appeal to us either.

I guess we are a bit off-topic but I agree with you.  And for us, it is a problem.  We have more than 500 days on HAL with a 30 day cruise booked (Japan to Alaska) next year.  Even the usual HAL "cheerleaders" have been pretty silent on this issue (on the HAL blog).   At this point we hope they will have a change of heart in the near future.   It is interesting that they eliminated the Production shows without giving any kind of notice to the cruisers.   But these kind of things seem to be happening across cruise lines.  We recently read a review of the Caribbean Princess where it was mentioned that they had no piano bar player (there is a venue called Crooners designed for that purpose).   I would also mention that most of the major production shows on Celebrity are sophisticated Karaoke with all the music pre-recorded.  And then we could talk about the non-singing dancers who are trained to mouth the lyrics so it appears like they are actually singing.  That is why we found the simple shows on the Summit so refreshing...because it was all real.

Hank

On 5/14/2019 at 12:48 PM, vtcruising said:

This brochure is good to see which production shows are playing on each Celebrity ship. A short description of the shows is also included. They are usually not my cup of tea, but a couple of them look interesting. 🙂

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/Entertainment_Show_Matrix_May2_2019.pdf

Thanks for posting the link.  DW will enjoy reading and knowing what will be on our cruise.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 5:01 PM, s5cmh170 said:

Is this link a permanent link they'll continually update going forward? I bookmarked it as we don't sail until October 2020 on our next cruise - but would love to know what shows should be there. 

It's hard to know. They are a bit scattered about their updates and sometimes give a file a new name when they update so that it would probably be a different link. If I see any updated versions, I'll post again. 🙂

• Like 1