The North Sea in August

We are considering taking a celebrity cruise on the Solstice in mid August departing from England! going to Ireland and Iceland. We have cruised several times on Celebrity , and have been on the Solstice. Some of our group however have been sea sick on some of the cruises during rough seas and we are wondering if anyone has taken this trip mid- August and if you could feel the motion on the Solstice. 

If the seas are moving, the ship will move.

Seas are not predictable more than a few days ahead. They can be rough or smooth at any time. If you have an issue with sea sickness, you need to be prepared every time you get on a ship. Just a simple fact of life. 

• Like 2

I can't find your itinerary- are you going the North Sea one way, and back through the Irish Sea?

Which ever, both can be changeable at any time of year, and once out of those two you'll be in the Atlantic. 

The weather in summer mainly comes from the west, so it depends on whether there's been hurricanes in the Caribbean as to the roughness- along with other events; yes, the Irish Sea and the Atlantic can be stormy, but also can be quite smooth in August. No-one knows...

We had 3 days leaving the North Sea for Iceland last August- quite a swell; returning it was rough. We were on a much smaller ship than the Solstice, so cannot help you there.

All the seas round Britain can be bad-tempered.

But mainly October to March.

Very good prospects that in August a crossing (North Sea, Irish Channel, English Channel etc) will be benign, but no promises.

JB :classic_smile:

Some of the most ‘uncomfortable’ seas I have experienced have been in the North Sea. 

I now live on the North Sea coast and even in summer it can be wild. Very unpredictable.

As my old meteorology lecturer once said ....  everywhere in the world has climate ... Britain has weather 😀

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

OP must be considering Silhouette, as Solstice spends Augusts in Alaska.  EM

Ah, thanks- I've found the itinerary now for Silhouette.

No, you're not going into the  North Sea; first into the English Channel, then north into the Irish Sea, and back the same way. Hopefully all will be calm...☺️- I live beside the Irish Sea, and we expect good weather in August.

It's just the tail-end of a hurricane can stir things occasionally...

Edited by jocap
typo, plus it's getting late at night now...