Jan 31 2020 Silhouette 14 Night Carib cruise has been cancelled

mahdnc

Reflection Feb 21, 2020  "today sold all OV, Verandas and Concierges", only insides , aquas and few suites available for booking. This sailing is not in the compensation offer.

Edited by gerelmx

1 hour ago, gerelmx said:

Reflection Feb 21, 2020  "today sold all OV, Verandas and Concierges", only insides , aquas and few suites available for booking. This sailing is not in the compensation offer.

No, but the 50% Future Cruise Certificate can be applied against it.

22 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

No, but the 50% Future Cruise Certificate can be applied against it.

Yes but as a comparison - booked in a 1A balcony on the Silhouette 14 night sailing for $2418 pp with two perks.  

Price on Reflection 3/2/20 11 night sailing $3209 pp.  Most of the credit is eaten up by the much higher cruise prices and you're getting 3 fewer days. 

Edited by kristikae

11 minutes ago, kristikae said:

Yes but as a comparison - booked in a 1A balcony on the Silhouette 14 night sailing for $2418 pp with two perks.  

Price on Reflection 3/2/20 11 night sailing $3209 pp.  Most of the credit is eaten up by the much higher cruise prices and you're getting 3 fewer days. 

I'm not allowed to name specifics, but FYI a large online TA has some special group rates on that sailing that help alot.  

I do get your point, though.  More money, fewer days - what's to like about this 'deal'!

We're sailing later in 2020 in the Baltic and I have just noticed that the Reflection and Signature suites have just disappeared from the itinerary. It is possible that 5 £23k and a £34k suite all sold on the same night after not selling for the previous 6 weeks but I suspect another reason.

Is there a possible rethink of the feasibility of adding these cabins and/or time required in dry dock to achieve this?

Edited by groryjm

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I'm not allowed to name specifics, but FYI a large online TA has some special group rates on that sailing that help alot.  

I do get your point, though.  More money, fewer days - what's to like about this 'deal'!

LOL  I am a TA.  I don't book with online sites.  🙂

The January 31st sailing has been cancelled and Celebrity will assist with re-booking.  But if you had a suite booked on the January 31st sailing you are out of luck in the re-booking department.  There are no suites available on almost all of the re-booking options Celebrity is offering.  

Make sure to consider all your options.  I'm finding with my suite that if I apply the 50% FCC it tends to be less than the "protected" rate.   Has anyone determined if the protected rate is the total cruise fare paid or if it is the daily rate.

Several weeks before this cancellation someone at Celebrity might have considered other fleet schedule changes rather than this Silhouette cruise.  This was a very high revenue cruise with loyal long time cruisers.  Options in Jan. and Feb. remaining are extremely limited--certainly not enough to accommodate 2,000plus people.  Many made air and hotel arrangements($$$) early because this cruise sail date coincided with Super Bowl weekend in Miami.  So far this year we've had Azamara change an itinerary three times(2 overnight stays eliminated after final payment), Celebrity reduce our Greek Isles cruise 6/2/20 by one day with no reduced price, and now this cruise cancelled with no 14 day cruise options available.  We've been fortunate to sail a great deal but this past few weeks with Celebrity/Azamara are something we've not experienced with any other cruise lines.  Very disappointed in Miami offices and Celebrity.

9 hours ago, billjo6 said:

The problem is not the price, it is the fact that there are no longer suites available for the optional sailing Celebrity is offering.

Have you called to see if there is anything available.  Remember many weeks ago many cruises in this time frame went into "Inventory Management".  I'm sure that was a planning exercise for this event.  I wonder if there is some inventory tucked away.

Also watch carefully over the next few days as I'm sure some people have put holds on things while they are considering their options.  (I'll admit to being one of those people).

I was booked on 2/2/20 - 12 day cruise which I rescheduled last May while on the Baltic cruise, because an executive officer told us that the time needed for refurb was insufficient. I then booked 2/14/20 & 2/23/20 prior to the 12 day being cancelled and the replaced by the 14 day which is now cancelled.

Jump forward to our recently completed TA on the Edge.

Over two weeks ago I went to the future cruise desk on board to see if the 1/31/20 cruise could be added, and was told that the whole month of January and into February were blocked out. The rep showed me that the cruise I wanted to book then was not available(not sold out).

Hal

Just spoke with Celebrity, what is being offered as compensation for canceling the January 31st sailing has some conditions. If you have to change your airline reservations you only qualify for change fee reimbursement if you are changing your airline reservation to go on another Celebrity cruise. Even if Celebrity is unable to accommodate on one of their other cruises you do not qualify for the airline fee reimbursement 

This will be interesting. We have not been contacted by Celebrity as of yet, and we booked directly with them while on another cruise. We have 2 perks, and $750 on board credit (that I suspect we will lose).

We booked a non-refundable flight.

They are offering only $300 compensation for airline reservation changes... our airfare was $1200 (for 2 of us). hmmm.... 

1 hour ago, billjo6 said:

Just spoke with Celebrity, what is being offered as compensation for canceling the January 31st sailing has some conditions. If you have to change your airline reservations you only qualify for change fee reimbursement if you are changing your airline reservation to go on another Celebrity cruise. Even if Celebrity is unable to accommodate on one of their other cruises you do not qualify for the airline fee reimbursement 

That's not how they have handled air change fees in the past.  I suspect they would have to be submitted by 5/30 to be honored but they should refund these fees regardless as they have done in the past.

20 minutes ago, nancyshaw said:

what does protected rate mean?

It means you can book the same category cabin on one of the listed cruises at the same rate you paid for the cancelled cruise.  Base cruise rate minus taxes, then they add the taxes/fees of the new cruise.  You are able to keep all perks as well from what I understand.

24 minutes ago, nancyshaw said:

what does protected rate mean?

Protected rate means, if you book the same category on one of the listed cruises, you will not pay more than you originally paid for that cabin.  Keep in mind, though, that you paid for a 14 night cruise, and the listed cruises are 9-11 nights.  So they are guaranteeing you will not pay more for 9 nights than you paid for 14.  How generous.  They should be doing this on a price per day basis.

13 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Make sure to consider all your options.  I'm finding with my suite that if I apply the 50% FCC it tends to be less than the "protected" rate.   Has anyone determined if the protected rate is the total cruise fare paid or if it is the daily rate.

Total cruise fare paid.  Very unfair, as these cruises are 9-11 days as opposed to 14.

protected rate only applies to the suggested cruises and to no other....all others have massively gone up....so Celeb is gouging...again....meanwhile they have kept our deposits for two years and have cancelled us twice....

now offering cruises that are much shorter in either dec or april, which is NOT  a winter getaway....

we booked at opening prices, should be able to rebook anything else at opening prices as well.....THAT is price protection.....and as for compensation, where is that?

On 5/18/2019 at 8:18 AM, billjo6 said:

I think whoever you spoke to at Celebrity was wrong.  Or at least I hope so.

come on over to our Roll Call and discuss the issue.

On 5/18/2019 at 9:00 AM, RealBatman said:

This will be interesting. We have not been contacted by Celebrity as of yet, and we booked directly with them while on another cruise. We have 2 perks, and $750 on board credit (that I suspect we will lose).

We booked a non-refundable flight.

They are offering only $300 compensation for airline reservation changes... our airfare was $1200 (for 2 of us). hmmm.... 

At least it is $300 a person, so $600 total.

Did  you book one of those restrictive basic Economy tickets?  What airlines?

Good Luck.

Just to update this thread: Yesterday, Celebrity modified their compensation for our cancelled Silhouette cruise to include more rate protected sailings (i.e. you can transfer your booking to these sailings and not have to pay more).  We like to believe that this modification was partly based on the feedback emailed to Celebrity from our roll call members.

The modified letter also gave the reason for the cancellation of the cruise which is what we speculated on the roll call but this is the first time that Celebrity talked about it.  The impact on Equinox's drydock from the Grand Bahama shipyard accident has been discussed on another thread.

@jagoffee posted the new written offer from Celebrity on the Jan 31 2020 Silhouette Roll Call.  Here it is:

May 21, 2019

Dear Travel Partner:

We have some important information to provide regarding your client’s upcoming Caribbean Vacation aboard Celebrity Silhouette.  As you may know, we’re revolutionizing our entire fleet with a $500 million makeover and a team of more than 500 of the world’s best architects, designers, and engineers. We’re using new technology and design concepts that will change the way you experience the world on a Celebrity vacation.

The Celebrity Silhouette is scheduled to begin her Revolution in early next year; however, due to the collapse of a side-wall within the Grand Bahama shipyard dry dock structure it has become necessary for us to relocate the Silhouette to a shipyard in Cadiz, Spain for her Revolution. 

The change in shipyard venue has made it necessary to extend our Revolution schedule an extra week and therefore cancel the 14-night Southern Caribbean sailing departing January 31, 2020.  Please contact your clients to re-accommodate them on another Celebrity Cruises vacation. Details of guest compensation and other information is below.

Guests currently booked on the sailing who are interested in similar itineraries can be rebooked on these sailings in like accommodations at the protected/lowest available rate.

Celebrity Silhouette® 
12-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise departing December 1, 2019

9-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise departing December 13, 2019

12-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise departing March 15, 2020

9-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise departing March 27, 2020

12-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise departing April 5, 2020

Celebrity Reflection® 
10-Night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise departing November 29, 2019

10-Night New Orleans and Mexico Cruise departing February 21, 2020

11-Night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise departing March 2, 2020

10-Night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise departing March 13, 2020

11-Night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise departing March 23, 2020

10-Night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise departing April 3, 2020

11-Night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise departing April 13, 2020

Celebrity EquinoxSM 
10-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise departing April 11, 2020

January and February 2021

9, 10, 11 or 12-Night sailings departing January or February 2021

Clients currently booked on the sailing will receive a Future Cruise Certificate valued at 50% of their cruise fare amount to use towards another Celebrity Cruises vacation, excluding Galapagos and holiday sailings. 

Guests who incur a fee due to the change in their airline reservations will be reimbursed up to $300 per person. A faxed copy of the air fees assessed must be provided.

If a guest chooses not to rebook, a full refund for amounts paid will be processed to the original form of payment.

To assist you with any changes and to rebook your guests, a special desk has been established. It opened on Thursday, May 16, 2019, and will remain open until Thursday, May 30, 2019. The re-accommodation offer for you and your clients will be available during this time. 

Individual reservations:        1-888-281-9343 ext. 48846 
Group reservations:             1-888-281-9343 ext. 48923 
Consumer outreach:            1-800-556-8209 ext. 18881

Thank you in advance for your support and for communicating this information to any clients you have booked on the impacted sailing. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and your clients.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

6C30445E-E973-420E-892C-9D5BF39451FF.jpeg

Silhouette docked at Port Everglades as seen from Reflection as she is pulling into port on Jan 18 2019 6:30am

Edited by mahdnc