Transatlantic

Jeffrey1950

Hello:

I know it will nice and warm when I board the QM2 6/30 but am not looking into doing a Transatlantic flying one way sailing the other. What kind of weather can I expect in September please? Also, Can someone tell me of an Airline that has direct flights to or from Edinburgh. 

Thank you !!

September crossings are generally some of the best with reasonably comfortable temperatures (not hot), and mild seas.  But nothing is assured, so storms can come up.  We are booked on a crossing for Sept. 15 from Brooklyn and look forward to walks on deck and a lack of drama.

As for air options from Edinburgh, Google please.

• Haha 1

I don't know the schedule, so are you looking at a crossing east to west or west to east? The risk of west to east is that if you start with a storm, it may travel with you for a while. My last eastbound a few years ago, we started with cloudy drizzly weather and it crossed the Atlantic with us. 

To check airlines, use one of those travel search -ocity or exped- sites. (I don't think we're allowed to post names or links to them). They will show you all (or most) airlines serving the route you want. Easier than going to a bunch of separate sites. 

12 hours ago, Jeffrey1950 said:

Hello:

I know it will nice and warm when I board the QM2 6/30 but am not looking into doing a Transatlantic flying one way sailing the other. What kind of weather can I expect in September please? Also, Can someone tell me of an Airline that has direct flights to or from Edinburgh. 

Thank you !!

I have done Trans Atlantic west bound and east bound. I prefer westbound for the extra hour added to five days. I have traveled in April, August, September(many times), October and November. September has been a perfect weather crossing every time. As for air lines. United Flies non-stop to/from Edinburgh, though it has become my last choice for long haul flying. I would prefer to connect through Heathrow on BA than to do a UAL flight any day. 

I found your OP a little confusing, sorry, but I think you a looking for one-way non-stop flights between NYC and Edinburgh. United offers direct one-way flights for about $850. However, as Underwater noted, Air Lingus has one-stop flights for around $450 and, my preference, Norwegian Airlines connects in Gatwick and a one-way fare runs around $250 NYC to Edinburgh. If you wanted to fly Business Class on Norwegian, the cost would be around $900.

We did a crossing on the QM2 this pass September, had boringly calm seas an temps mostly in the 60's F. We pretty much lived on the Promenade Deck during the day.

Hope this helps but I apologize if I completely misunderstood your intent. 

Jack

15 hours ago, Jeffrey1950 said:

Hello:

Thank you !!

If you fly to New York and sail back to Southampton, I suggest you look into FlyBe multi trip;  Edinburgh to Dublin then Southampton to Edinburgh.  Stay one night in Dublin then get an Aer Lingus Dublin to New York doing US immigration in Dublin. Your bags will need to be light for FlyBe.

Regards John

21 hours ago, Jeffrey1950 said:

Also, Can someone tell me of an Airline that has direct flights to or from Edinburgh. 

Direct or non-stop?  From where, exactly?  East-bound or west-bound?  I believe United does a non-stop out of Newark and Delta does a non-stop out of JFK.  Aer Lingus has been mentioned and you might also take a look at Air Canada with a connection in Toronto.  Then there's Emirates out of Dubai, QATAR out of Doha, Turkish out of Istanbul, Delta from Boston, easyJet and Ryanair from everywhere......  Avoid Norwegian, they will go bust and take your money with them.

18 minutes ago, Jeffrey1950 said:

I was intending sailing eastbound, then flying up to Edinburgh staying in Scotland a few days then flying hopefully non stop from Edinburgh to Newark Airport.

Thank you !!

Sorry I thought you were Edinburgh based.

I checked on Opodo and Flybe do Southampton Eastleigh SOU to Edinburgh Turnhouse EDI at £50/£100 roughly.  Beware of Southampton "all Airports" as this includes Heathrow and others that are nowhere near Southampton. Southampton Eastleigh is on the doorstep of the cruise terminal 5/10 mins. by taxi.

Edinburgh Turnhouse EDI direct to New York is JFK and done by Delta and United, flights are expensive.

Regards John

Jeffrey1950,

Last September we flew direct from Chicago to Gatwick then took the train round trip from London to Edinburgh. We paid a little extra for First Class on the train but it included a nice meal and complimentary wine. It was a very nice train ride with beautiful scenery. We spent 3 nights in Edinburgh. The highlights for us were the Castle, Holyrood and the Royal Yacht Britannia. We also had a very "educational" evening in the Scotch Bar at the grand Balmoral Hotel. After taking he train back to London, we spent one night there then caught the Cunard Coach to Southampton and boarded the QM2. I realize this is reverse from what you would like to do but it worked very well for us. If you would like to see our photo montage of Edinburgh, go yo YouTube and search HGEdinburgh.

Jack

• Like 1

Thank you for the great info. A train may help because my final destination for a few days is a town called Airdrie. I believe a train goes straight from Edinburgh to Airdire that would work out very well for me. I would not be staying in Edinburgh but I do know what a great place it is as I lived there for a few years.

Jeffrey1950

Trains from Edinburgh Waverley to Airdrie take about 40 - 50 mins.  Mainline from South of England arrive at Edinburgh Waverley if you use the East Coast Main Line.

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Edinburgh-Waverley-Station/Airdrie-Scotland

The best way of acquiring train tickets for UK rail journeys is by pre-booking through websites like

https://www.thetrainline.com

You put all your dates and requirements in and pay on line.  The easiest way of collecting your tickets is by using the six character code e.g. GHFVBN at the ticket machine at your first station (any station will also work)  using the code and the credit card you originally used for the purchase (must still be in date at time of travel) using the "Collect pre-paid tickets" option.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

On 5/18/2019 at 5:42 AM, Underwatr said:

Clearing US customs in Ireland as opposed to JFK (or Boston or Philadelphia) is one compelling reason to fly Aer Lingus even though it's a connecting flight.

Tell me about Aer Lingus. We are flying them home to the states from Dublin after our Trans Atlantic, for the first time. Thank you!

On 5/18/2019 at 12:15 AM, Jeffrey1950 said:

Hello:

Thank you !!

Roll the dice.  We have had some great crossings in September and rarely hit bad weather.  We were on the QE II and had head winds of 100 MPH.  Then again we have had seas so smooth that I forgot I was on a ship...lol.

10 hours ago, lovetotraveltx said:

Tell me about Aer Lingus. We are flying them home to the states from Dublin after our Trans Atlantic, for the first time. Thank you!

Aer Lingus is often among the lowest cost ways to cross by air, particularly on a one-way booking, and it's pleasant enough. We generally fly between Ireland and Philadelphia, which can either be a widebody or narrowbody (B757) plane (looks like its a 757 both ways currently). No complaints about the wide body but it's about as long a flight as I'd want to go in a narrow body plane - the amenities (inflight entertainment, USB charging) aren't what you might be used to flying across the Atlantic in 2019. I don't recall whether the narrow body had WiFi...

See more info here: https://seatguru.com/

I'm more driven by cost and will accept the above as part of the bargain.

1 hour ago, fabnfortysomething said:

Glasgow airport is bigger than Edinburgh and may have more choice

Aye, it used to be but not any more.  Edinburgh has more passengers and more destinations now.  Awful place, expansion has been most unkind.  It's now my most unfavourite airport.  Whoever is the airport manager should be taken out and ....oh, never mind.

• 2 hours ago, Fairgarth said:

Aye, it used to be but not any more.  Edinburgh has more passengers and more destinations now.  Awful place, expansion has been most unkind.  It's now my most unfavourite airport.  Whoever is the airport manager should be taken out and ....oh, never mind.

As it happens my sister who lives in Airdrie just mentioned to me how Glasgow Airport has changed. She said I would not know it now,

29 minutes ago, Jeffrey1950 said:
  • As it happens my sister who lives in Airdrie just mentioned to me how Glasgow Airport has changed.

Sorry, that didn't come out right.  It's Edinburgh airport that I detest.  As do all those folks posting reviews on Skytrax, so it's not just one of my foibles.  Edinburgh airport may be OK if you are making a connection although I imagine their connecting traffic is near zero.  But if you arrive by air and leave by ground or arrive by ground and leave by air, it's a nightmare.  It's a classic case of something the Brits are good at:  "Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be bloody impossible?"