HAIR DRYERS

elliekate

My friend is in Vancouver ready to board the Millennium tomorrow for their first cruise.  She forgot her hairdryer and asked me what the hairdryers are like on the ship.  Since I always use my own hairdryer, can anyone comment on the ship's hairdryers (aqua class if that makes any difference)?  Are they like the low-powered hotel ones?  I know this seems silly, but a girl can't live without a good hairdryer!!! 

I have medium textured hair which is cut slightly shorter than what I would describe as a medium length.  I also have no issues with arthritis in my hands.  While I wouldn't describe the Celebrity hairdryers as high powered I have found them to be higher powered than many of those on land hotels.  Your friend needs to understand that she most probably will need to press the "on" button continually for the power.  And we have been in Aqua a number of times (probably over thirty times) and I haven't found the Aqua hairdryers any different than those in Suite staterooms.

I have found the hairdryers to be adequate at best.  They are 2-speed hairdryers.  No heat adjustment.  You need to hold the on button continually or the dryer will turn off.  If your friend is picky about her hairdryer, she should consider purchasing one and bringing it on board.  

I have long hair and I find them adequate.  The only thing I don't like is that you have to keep your thumb on the button, otherwise it stops (a piece of Velcro fixes this, but your friend won't have this).  The hair dryer is usually located in the drawer of the desk.

I'd suggest buying one. The on board dryers are weak, need the button held in for air flo, take forever and do a poor job. That is the only type on board from inside cabins to the best suite, although I did have a concierge once offer the use of her personal dryer when I made a suggestion that the on board dryers may be difficult for those with long or thick hair  or who have manual dexterity issues. I always bring my own.

• Like 1

Even in the the PH you have a  ‘press the button’ hairdryer, in fact you have two of them!

Bad design, I resort to drying my hair on the balcony with a glass of wine...

• Like 2

I've always found them perfectly adequate - but I have very long fairly fine hair so it dries easily and I'm not trying to style it.  I just dry straight and then put it up. DD is the same.  I use a Velcro wrap to keep the button pressed.

I don't think it is even allowed to bring your own hair dryer. You may bring a hair iron for straighten your hair thouhh. The one on Solstice was strong enough. The button is not too hard to push or hold. It is intended that way for a safety reason.

3 hours ago, Tourist1292 said:

The button is not too hard to push or hold. It is intended that way for a safety reason.

Yes. Many ships have sunk because of people leaving blow dryers on. /s

9 hours ago, elliekate said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply!  I will forward this information to my friend before she boards!  Maybe she can stop at a drugstore on the way to the ship!

Easier just to get a strong rubber band or some duct tape and use the ship's hair dryer.

1 hour ago, varoo said:

Easier just to get a strong rubber band or some duct tape and use the ship's hair dryer.

Please don't use duct tape. I once had to use a goo-covered hair dryer for a week because the previous occupant used duct tape.

Another reason I bring my own hair dryer now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, jan.dv said:

Does anyone know where you can plug in your own hair dryer? I'm just wondering if the bathroom outlet on the Millennium will fit a standard american hair dryer plug.

The outlet in the bathroom is not going to work the hair dryer, but the one on the desk area will and it’s in front of a mirror.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cobeck1234 said:

The outlet in the bathroom is not going to work the hair dryer, but the one on the desk area will and it’s in front of a mirror.

Thanks, Cobeck1234! That's what I was thinking, but this is our first Celebrity cruise & I wasn't sure of the set-up.

• Like 1