Brittania docking late tomorrow

hansol1966

13 minutes ago, thornegirl said:

Still in the queue 1.45 hours, just not moving at all. What is annoying is that taxis, other parking operators are going straight through, its CPS parking that’s delayed. Won’t be using them again, we’ve been with parking 4 cruises before with no problems at all. 

Waiters from the ship are handing out bottles of water to people in the cars now . 

Lots of tooting of car horns now everybody getting impatient. 

Sorry to hear you are still stuck there. Hopefully once you are onboard you have a wonderful cruise.

The water is at least a thoughtful touch.

Just now, P&O SUE said:

Oh no I can’t believe people are still not on, hope you’re all on soon and have a good rest of the cruise.

They are going to be tired and hungry.  Wonder if sandwiches will be taken out to the queue.

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

So if your car breaks down with an unexpected mechanical issue then it would be negligence on you part. Sorry but you must put your brain into action before typing some of the comments that you do. Machinery/engines break down unexpectedly and nobody is at fault.

You really need to re-read what I actually said before making derogatory remarks. You seem to have missed the crucial word “if”.

Breakdowns happen for all sorts of reasons. Most will probably not involve negligence (a legal concept) but some will. I have carefully avoided expressing an opinion either way because we don’t know the facts. And, as I said earlier, probably never will.

41 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I am surprised those disembarking late did not get any compensation for missed travel.  But I suppose it's your choice to take a hotel instead of driving.

Exactly....it is our choice and I fully understand that, but to err on the side of safety, it has cost us money that we will not recover through insurance (we count that as protection against the worst case only... helicopter airlift to hospital for example - something else  someone had on this cruise).

its just annoying and does spoil our P&O experience, especially given how swift RCL & Celebrity are from Southampton.

Thinking about it, I suspect that CPS are severely under staffed as well. How many of their operatives would have been able to work late into the evening on a Saturday night over a Bank Holiday weekend at such short notice? A few are probably at the Take That concert and others may have refused to work because of it. A perfect storm. Have a horrible feeling that this nightmare has a few hours still to run. 

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Negligence?  I believe it was mechanical?

I do believe that the CAA no longer accept maintenance issues as an excuse for not paying out reasonable compensation for flight delays, so surely the same should also apply to cruise ships.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ABZCRUISE said:

Exactly....it is our choice and I fully understand that, but to err on the side of safety, it has cost us money that we will not recover through insurance (we count that as protection against the worst case only... helicopter airlift to hospital for example - something else  someone had on this cruise).

its just annoying and does spoil our P&O experience, especially given how swift RCL & Celebrity are from Southampton.

I imagine that P&O will reimburse reasonable additional costs for those who claim. That might depend on the underlying reasons for the mechanical problems, but if P&O have any commercial sense at all they’ll simply reimburse all reasonable claims.

To be fair, they will surely assess it once they actually leave and know how many folk have suffered.  If some boarded between 6-7, then they will have no reason to claim.  They will get dinner and be in their cabins.  It's the ones still in the car park with the problems.

21 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

They are going to be tired and hungry.  Wonder if sandwiches will be taken out to the queue.

It is getting very late now, you would think that they could.

19 minutes ago, ABZCRUISE said:

I would have made the same decision as you, as would anyone who has actually made the long drive north. Driving such a long way tired would not be safe.

Sleep well and safe journey home.

14 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

To be fair, they will surely assess it once they actually leave and know how many folk have suffered.  If some boarded between 6-7, then they will have no reason to claim.  They will get dinner and be in their cabins.  It's the ones still in the car park with the problems.

And they will still have lost the first half day of their holiday.....

Just now, jeanlyon said:

Yes agree, but I wouldn't be that annoyed if I was told to arrive 5 hours later and I boarded at 5 or even 6.  I'm not one of these folk that needs to get on board by 11.30!!

Well I salute you for being much more patient than me, and most other folks.

I like to get onboard, get unpacked, get the boat drill over and then chill and start to enjoy my holiday. Being stuck in a traffic jam for hours, stress and delays would spoil my whole first day.

Earlier today, I was of the opinion the £20pp was very reasonable for a few hours delay.

However, it looks like it’s much more than a few hours, so I think they now need to do a bit more for the passengers.

I think it’d be a nice gesture for drinks to be free with dinner tomorrow. That would cheer everyone up a bit. 

I can remember two occasions when something or other went wrong, and they gave us free drinks, so it can happen 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ABZCRUISE said:

Came off Britannia today at 3pm as self disembark.

At least you are getting some compensation, we are travelling to Aberdeen and have had to book a Premier Inn with dinner & breakfast to avoid driving until 3 am.

About £150 out of pocket, with nothing from P&O.

Annoying, as we were also late with embarkation last week by 2 hours, probably due to same faults.

great cruise though, just spoiled by the above.

We disembarked Britannia last Saturday and the delayed arrival was not down to mechanical issues but weather/wind related.

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

We disembarked Britannia last Saturday and the delayed arrival was not down to mechanical issues but weather/wind related.

Yes so we heard, but we were also informed that there was no bad weather?

can you confirm?

Just now, ABZCRUISE said:

Yes so we heard, but we were also informed that there was no bad weather?

can you confirm?

there was no actual bad weather it was very windy and it was headwind that caused the delay.