Booking on board

45 minutes ago, newcruiser1573 said:

Thanks for all those that replied.  Am I understanding that booking on board is only at the non refundable rate.  I would prefer the refundable rate myself.  

You can book refundable on board, but the OBC is greatly reduced and the deposit is not reduced.

On 5/28/2019 at 6:39 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Bob, on a 7 day cruise the OBC is only reduced by $25.  Full deposit.  

So if I book a 14 night cruise in a balcony cabin while on board, with a refundable deposit, I must pay $450?  And  how much OBC would I get?

Thank you in advance, Ken. @Ourusualbeach

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

So if I book a 14 night cruise in a balcony cabin while on board, with a refundable deposit, I must pay $450?  And  how much OBC would I get?

Thank you in advance, Ken. @Ourusualbeach

Sorry Carol.  I'm not sure how much they reduce it by on a 14 day cruise.  I only know the 7 day cruise as that is what I booked. 

On 5/26/2019 at 4:14 AM, Bee Guy said:

Is it really in your favor to pay the increased cost for a refundable rate?  We cruise frequently and never have had to cancel.  If we had paid for a refundable rate for all those cruises we would be out a lot of money.

What is the amount that you lose if you cancel a nonrefundable cruise.  Can't some of your deposit be moved to a future cruise?

We just booked our first refundable deposit cruise.  This is for April 2021.  It is just so far out that so many things could happen that I just felt like the extra that I pay for refundable was worth it.

On 5/26/2019 at 9:22 AM, custompcsys said:

Is there a reduced deposit when you book onboard or is the only "perk" the OBC?

I'm not an expert, as I booked on board my first RCI cruise last December, but my nonrefundable deposit was $100pp per sailing on a B2B, for five people. So $1000 on the line.

The OBC amounted to $200. (Third person in a room does not get OBC.) There were two promotionals applied: 30% Savings applied to all (so a bit better than BOGO50%) and Season Sav of $25 each for the first two people in a room (effectively doubling the OBC). Both Promotionals are marked NRD, non refundable deposit, so apparently they would have been lost if I had opted for refundable. Which also would have tied up $1500 additional for two years as I was booking for 2021!

I just ran dummy bookings on the four bookings, under BOGO50, and booking on board six months ago currently "saved" us about $1250 total counting everything including the OBC. YMMV.

I just booked onboard a cruise no date or ship determined for a $200.00 deposit. I can choose a date within 2 months from the day I booked to receive OBC (based on nights/category I choose) or I have a year to book with no OBC. This deal was ok for us.