New ? Info on NCL NY Departures=NYC and Brooklyn

jaja

Not sure if this has been addressed here, but upon departing last week on the Dawn my porter told me that NCL will soon be using using Brooklyn as well as NYC for docking.   Sorry if this has been mentioned OR by chance is wrong info...but thought I would pass it along. It seemed to make sense to me , since with bigger ships coming along...they would need  bigger piers. 

Porter said, Brooklyn is a much nicer terminal,  one level ? and more modern.  As I said, not sure about any of this.   

The Bliss (currently the largest NCL ship) has used the Manhattan terminal but is actually longer than that terminal/pier is supposed to support.  The Encore is supposedly the same length as the Bliss (possible Google/Wikipedia don't have the correct specs and are basing it on Bliss).  The height is the next concern but both ports still need to transit under the Verrazzano Narrows bridge so that wouldn't impact port selection.

I can attest that the Brooklyn terminal is unusual to drive to.    You're driving through a neighborhood, make a turn and you're entering the port area.  It's not entirely well-marked or obvious that you're headed in the right direction.  I don't know what the terminal itself is like.  I don't know what the parking situation is like, it's probably about equidistant from both JFK and LGA (I came in from the LGA side) if you're driving.

One downside, which I read in another thread, is that there aren't many hotels close by,.  You'd either be looking in Manhattan or near one of the airports.

I sailed out of Brooklyn last month on the Jade TA.  We took Amtrak to Penn Station, then a $25 taxi ride to the terminal (Sunday morning early, zero traffic).  It was quite a drive from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal sign to where the taxi was supposed to drop us off, and a bit confusing, but there were people waving us to where we needed to go.  Really not a big deal, I was a bit nervous about it because I didn’t have a clue where it was, but not a problem.  Yes, Manhattan is more convenient as far as hotels, Amtrak are concerned but this isn’t so bad.  

The Haven waiting area was nothing special, the one in Seattle is much nicer, but hey, we were waiting for a cruise so it was all good!!

I sailed out of the Brooklyn last year on a different cruise line. The terminal is mostly good for the mid size smaller ships, from what i saw due to how the gangway and waiting area is setup. I dont think it can handle the massive 4k ships like the Bliss and Encore. The terminal is two levels. you check in and wait on the first floor, then you going up an escalator to the gangway.

the issue i had with the Brooklyn terminal was getting a uber. Like the Manhattan terminal, there is only one road going in/out of the terminal area. The uber got lost multiple times trying to find the entrance.

Edited by shof515

NCL isn't regularly using Brooklyn. It was just for two Jade cruises this year and next year it will be used for two Star cruises. They're both situations of an additional ship, not normally sailing from New York using the port,  creating the need for an additional docking facility.