Itinerary Change - Silver Moon - Voyage MO201030009

Stumblefoot

We received notice that our Silver Moon voyage from Barcelona to Barcelona has been changed "due to an unforeseen issue of availability", whatever that means.  Now, we embark in Monte Carlo and our two full days in Cádiz (gateway to Seville, Spain) have been cut in half (we lose our overnight in port) in order to call at Porto Mahón on the Spanish island of Menorca for 6-hours.

We were planning a gastronomic tour of Spain from the Basque country through Catalonia before boarding the Moon in Barcelona.  So now we'll need to adjust those plans and I would appreciate your feedback. 

The last time we visited Monte Carlo on SS, the ship anchored in the harbor.  For those who have embarked in Monte Carlo before, what is the most conveniently located hotel to the pier where the tenders operate that we could walk from with our luggage?  Or, would we be better served by staying at Hotel Hermitage or Hotel De Paris?  And, since we really don't have any interest in visiting Monte Carlo again, I wonder, would a two or three day visit to Nice or Marseille be a better option as we could easily jump on the SNCF train to Monaco the day of embarkation?  I assume cabs are readily available at the Monte Carlo station to whisk passengers to the harbor.

Well. I don't have much helpful to say but that sounds like a bum deal.

I would see if there is any way to preserve your Spain tour, regardless, because that sounds way better than time in Monte Carlo. Would it be feasible for you to fly EasyJet, direct from Barcelona to Nice, then make your way to Monte Carlo from there? We've used EJ before and they are not too bad for a short hop within Europe. On second thought, from what I've heard about the way you all pack, maybe EasyJet would not be the best idea... You may pay more for all of your suitcases, than you'd pay for your tickets! 🤣

If you want to stay in Provence that's not a bad idea either. There should be enough to do around there for a few days - Avignon has some history; Arles, Orange, and Nimes have Roman ruins; there's the Pont du Gard, le Camargue, le Chateau d'If, etc. 

WRT your itinerary change, I assume you're bummed because that cuts into your Seville time. It's a long train ride from Cadiz. Menorca is a cute place - when we were there we rented a car and went off on our own without any problem. Chris and I would be willing to meet you there and chauffeur you around for a small fee...

JP, you're right on many fronts. 

First, the biggest disappointment is because we wanted this trip to be ALL about Spain.  And, since we adore Seville, we were really, really looking forward to returning and spending the night in the magical city.

Second, we've spent absolutely zero time in Provence before.  It's been on our list to visit, just figured we do it by land sometime and incorporate Lyon into the mix.  Certainly would be easy to do now with a reset of our mindset.

Third, good catch on the luggage.  We'd have better luck on Vueling than Easy Jet.  But, ultimately, this trip would have been very easy via car with an end in Barcelona.  Now, I guess, since El Celler de Can Roca was going to be one of the highlights of our gastronomic tour before reaching Barcelona, we could just end in Girona and hop on the high speed train for the 4-hour trip to Marseille.  Spend a few days there before jumping on TER train to Nice. 

Finally, I'm glad to know you and Chris enjoyed Menorca.  I'll look forward to researching it further.  And, of course, you two are more than welcome to join us.  But, you know we'll try and rope you into the transatlantic crossing as that is the voyage that follows the visit to Menorca.  😉

Embarked and disembarked several times in Monte Carlo. We’ve always docked ie no luggage on a tender. We did once embark in Monte Carlo and had an overnight docked and moved to an anchored position the next morning for tendering. 🤔

We’ve visited Monte Carlo during a cruise when we have used the tenders.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

We received notice that our Silver Moon voyage from Barcelona to Barcelona has been changed "due to an unforeseen issue of availability", whatever that means.  Now, we embark in Monte Carlo and our two full days in Cádiz (gateway to Seville, Spain) have been cut in half (we lose our overnight in port) in order to call at Porto Mahón on the Spanish island of Menorca for 6-hours.

We were planning a gastronomic tour of Spain from the Basque country through Catalonia before boarding the Moon in Barcelona.  So now we'll need to adjust those plans and I would appreciate your feedback. 

The last time we visited Monte Carlo on SS, the ship anchored in the harbor.  For those who have embarked in Monte Carlo before, what is the most conveniently located hotel to the pier where the tenders operate that we could walk from with our luggage?  Or, would we be better served by staying at Hotel Hermitage or Hotel De Paris?  And, since we really don't have any interest in visiting Monte Carlo again, I wonder, would a two or three day visit to Nice or Marseille be a better option as we could easily jump on the SNCF train to Monaco the day of embarkation?  I assume cabs are readily available at the Monte Carlo station to whisk passengers to the harbor.

Sorry to hear that Stumblefoot, were you using SS Air and if not have they made any adjustments to allow for the change of departure port and country?

I suspect that the change was made as this is the annual Venetian Society cruise in which they bring aboard Fernando along with many of the upper management folks from Monaco as they will have many special events on board.  If you stay in NIce, as we probably will, a visit to the Marc Chagall National Museum would be at the top of the list. Plus, the hotels are less expensive and there are some very good places to dine.

There is always the Chateau de la Chevre d’Or in Eze if you like beautiful vistas.   It is easy to get there from Nice airport by taxi, rental car or bus and also easy to get to Monte Carlo.  Think of driving the Corniche as Cary Grant did in “To Catch a Thief”.

The sheer generosity of so many on Cruise Critic is something I will always be thankful for.

14 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Sorry to hear that Stumblefoot, were you using SS Air and if not have they made any adjustments to allow for the change of departure port and country?

We aren’t using SS Air, Mr. Silver, but even if we were, schedules haven’t been released yet.  So, there is no harm done other than the disappointment of some initial planning already undertaken.

13 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

I suspect that the change was made as this is the annual Venetian Society cruise in which they bring aboard Fernando along with many of the upper management folks from Monaco as they will have many special events on board.  If you stay in NIce, as we probably will, a visit to the Marc Chagall National Museum would be at the top of the list.

Yes, I suppose you are right.  But, I do find it interesting that SS changed the embarkation city after Fernando Barroso De Oliveira, Silversea’s Executive Chairman’s ambassador to the Venetian Society, announced the annual Venetian voyage on November 6, 2018.  His announcement gave me the confidence to begin my planning.

Thank you for the museum recommendation in Nice.  It sounds like a place we would thoroughly enjoy.

12 hours ago, Luv2Cruise1016 said:

We stayed at the Riveria Marriott in Cap d'Ail last time we embarked in Monte Carlo.  Just minutes away and they took us to ship on their shuttle.

Awesome!  Thanks for the reco.  I have lots and lots of Marriott points, so will definitely check out this hotel with my contacts.

6 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

There is always the Chateau de la Chevre d’Or in Eze if you like beautiful vistas.   It is easy to get there from Nice airport by taxi, rental car or bus and also easy to get to Monte Carlo.

Much appreciated!  We certainly love beautiful vistas, so will definitely have to look into this hotel as well.