Considering Oceania and have a few oddball questions

sppunk

I’m in love with Oceania’s Emperors and the Opulent itinerary on Marina and have a couple questions that might seem weird but, well, I’m weird. 🙂

We are loyal Holland America cruisers and just off the Volendam in Alaska. We had a great trip but I think our standards have moved beyond HAL and Oceania seems like a good fit (Viking would but that horrible payment policy!)

In HAL’s lido they have fantastic salad bar and fruit selection (although fruit was hit or miss this past week in quality). 

Does the Terrace Cafe have this? My wife is a very peculiar eater and a massive bowl of fruit is her breakfast and lunch, along with a hard boiled egg (bfast) and a salad without dressing (at lunch).

At dinner, can she get a plain piece of salmon and steamed veggies without issue? It’s her staple on cruises.

Also, I absolutely hate announcements, auctions and upsells. Is it safe to assume O is clear of these practices?

And lastly - no promenade deck is an issue as I’m an avid walker. Is there sufficient outdoor deck space with a view to actually walk 5 or so miles without going in one circle 100 times?

Lastly let’s make this thread fun - what is your single favorite part of Oceania? 

Thank you all!

You both will be fine (even better than fine) on Oceania with everything mentioned except for the not wanting to walk in a circle 100 times 🙂 I suspect that after this cruise you will have seen the last of HAL.

If it HAS to be a single favorite part, then it’s the food.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, sppunk said:

I’m in love with Oceania’s Emperors and the Opulent itinerary on Marina and have a couple questions that might seem weird but, well, I’m weird. 🙂

We are loyal Holland America cruisers and just off the Volendam in Alaska. We had a great trip but I think our standards have moved beyond HAL and Oceania seems like a good fit (Viking would but that horrible payment policy!)

In HAL’s lido they have fantastic salad bar and fruit selection (although fruit was hit or miss this past week in quality). 

Does the Terrace Cafe have this? My wife is a very peculiar eater and a massive bowl of fruit is her breakfast and lunch, along with a hard boiled egg (bfast) and a salad without dressing (at lunch).

At dinner, can she get a plain piece of salmon and steamed veggies without issue? It’s her staple on cruises.

Also, I absolutely hate announcements, auctions and upsells. Is it safe to assume O is clear of these practices?

And lastly - no promenade deck is an issue as I’m an avid walker. Is there sufficient outdoor deck space with a view to actually walk 5 or so miles without going in one circle 100 times?

Lastly let’s make this thread fun - what is your single favorite part of Oceania? 

Thank you all!

The Terrace Café is far from a "buffet." With "a la minute" cooking and the availability of "al fresco" dining (and full bar service), it would be better described as O's "casual" restaurant. Some of the things I like most about it are the huge food selection (often including dishes from the GDR's menu for that day) and "no touching" of food items by anyone other than galley staff.

As for daily Salmon, you'll find Salmon nightly in the GDR (Jacques Pepin's signature version) and lox every morning in the Terrace Café. There's plenty of fruits and salads in the Terrace and Waves, and, with advanced notice, O's chefs will always try to accommodate special requests.

Since Oceania is best known for The Finest Cuisine At Sea™, I hope that your spouse will consider being a bit more adventurous (e.g., try the Miso glazed sea bass in Red Ginger).

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The Terrace Café is far from a "buffet." With "a la minute" cooking and the availability of "al fresco" dining (and full bar service), it would be better described as O's "casual" restaurant. Some of the things I like most about it are the huge food selection (often including dishes from the GDR's menu for that day) and "no touching" of food items by anyone other than galley staff.

As for daily Salmon, you'll find Salmon nightly in the GDR (Jacques Pepin's signature version) and lox every morning in the Terrace Café. There's plenty of fruits and salads in the Terrace and Waves, and, with advanced notice, O's chefs will always try to accommodate special requests.

Since Oceania is best known for The Finest Cuisine At Sea™, I hope that your spouse will consider being a bit more adventurous (e.g., try the Miso glazed sea bass in Red Ginger).

Oh she will - she just loves simple fish and salads and fruit so much lol.

it is  a trade off 

you can have good food  & walking track that  goes in a circle

if that is all your DW eats  then I hope the itinerary  is spectacular

JMO

there are no auctions or photographers on O

announcements  well depends on the CD

upsells ??  onboard  or prior  to sailing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sppunk said:

The ship design is perfect except for this point. Walking 5 miles on a O ship will make you feel like a hamster on a wheel. 

The solution for my wife and I was we did 5+ miles of walking every day getting off the ship while at port. I do not know about the itinerary you like but, O cruises are usually port intensive so you should have plenty of opportunity to walk on shore all you want.

To answer your other questions... YES 🙂

Have fun,

John

• Like 2

Breakfast in the Terrace includes large bowls of fresh berries, (typically strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and/or blackberries) various sliced fresh fruits and many, many other tasty offerings including lox. All as much as you desire and served to you as you desire.

Salads are made to order with dressings made on board. I’m familiar with HALs salad bars, which are good, but we greatly prefer Oceania’s salads, better quality ingredients.

Oceania doesn’t have “art auctions” or photographers and, generally, very few announcements. Some CDs make more than others but overall far fewer than on HAL.

Unfortunately the current O ships don’t have a full, proper promenade deck but do have a smaller walking track and outstanding gyms. Sports drinks, towels provided.

We are “three star mariners” and like HAL when we get a terrific deal but there isn’t a comparison between the two lines in our opinion. Oceania is far superior. The food, beds, decor, service, the smaller ships, ambiance are so much better. If you’ve ever had tea on HAL make sure you have afternoon tea in Horizons. Totally different experience. Oceania’s is wonderful.

Edited by Classiccruiser777
Typo
  • Like 3

The variety of food options on Marina is staggering.   And we absolutely love the food quality.  I’m a borderline picky eater but really branch out on O and I’ve enjoyed many foods I thought I didn’t like.

Great food and divine shipboard comfort sold us on Oceania.  

I wouldn’t worry about the walking track.  It is easy to walk the length of each deck,  take stairs, walk around in ports.   We get plenty of steps in. 

• Like 2

You two should be extremely happy with the cuisine on O.   GDR and Waves are quite good; but don't forget the fabulous specialty restaurants.  Red Ginger is our favorite.

As for walking, AZjohn is right.  Port intensive itineraries provide more than enough opportunity for long walks in interesting settings.  That beats any walking track.

Favorite thing about O = the staff/service.  First class all the way!!!

• Like 3

We have cruised over 120 days on HAL and agree with pretty much everything folks have said when it comes to O's food offerings.They are great and there is plenty of fruit to eat in the morning, especially if you go up to the Terrace Cafe. 

With regards to walking 5+ miles onboard, we walk 1.5 miles in approx 30 minutes on the R class ships by walking back and forth using one of the covered promenade sections on deck 5, usually on the more shadier side. The nice thing about these side promenade sections is that usually the only people there are laying out in the lounge chairs reading or sleeping. They also have a walking track on deck 10 in full sun, but it can get a little crowded with folks walking in both directions.

On the O class ships, there is no covered walking areas. However, they do have a nice walking track up on deck 15 where you should have no problem, especially if you don't mind the sun.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Thank you all! This all fits perfectly with us. The specific itinerary is incredibly port intensive (Copenhagen you Stockholm with 3 days in St Petersburg). We also are looking at the Ireland trip r/t from London. 

Oceania’a itineraries are good and the times in port are far better than HAL’s. 

• Like 1

We too got off the Volendam this past Wed., could not resist the price, especially with no travel time from Vancouver. After cruising with Oceania for the past decade we will only go with HAL for a good price or unusual itinerary. The food on O is as advertised ' The Finest Cuisine at Sea ' at every venue, with no unhygienic self serve as on HAL. As the old saying goes you get what you pay for. Everything  on Oceania is far superior: food, service, decor, accommodation, and staff. 

• Like 1

Oceania is so much better than Holland America.  I wouldn’t even try to compare Holland America’s Applebees and Olive Garden level food to the fabulous eateries on Marina.  You get what you pay for.  

Since we started sailing Oceania we have taken an enjoyable Princess cruise to Alaska for the itinerary and great Alaskan program.  We also did one unremarkable Holland America cruise but had  lots of onboard buyer’s remorse. 

• Like 2

the best way to see if O is a fit for you is give them a try & decide  for yourself

We did 3 HAL cruises  that was enough for us to know they were not a good fit 

• Like 3

On 5/31/2019 at 8:45 PM, sppunk said:

Hello sppunk!

We just returned from sailing on Riviera, Marina's sister ship.  The short answer to this is yes!  But I'm not prone to short answers.  You will definitely notice a difference in the Terrace Cafe.  We had bowls of fresh berries every morning as well as trays of pineapple, mellons, guava, and so much more.  There are hard boiled as well as 3 minute eggs, eggs cooked to order (poached, fried, benedict) as well as an egg dish of the day (Huevos Rancheros, Tuscan eggs benedict, etc.).  And all served by staff, no masses handling serving utensils, stirring around in bowls.  I think your wife will be pleased.

Others have already assured you that this can be accommodated and is an easy request in just about any dining venue.  May I suggest y'all try the seared scallops (Coquille Saint-Jacques) in Jacques.  For me these surpass the Miso Glazed Sea Bass in Red Ginger that so many rave about.  Personal opinion.  But that's the beauty of Oceania.  You can try it all!

No art auctions, photographers.  There will be some table displays of merchandise in the evenings.  Easy to avoid.  

Most Cruise Directors on Oceania keep announcements to a minimum.  They will occur about 8-9 a.m., depending on sail in.  Again about 5 p.m.  There may be an announcement about 11 a.m. or 12 noon.  We were usually off the ship.  These will be in the corridor and public areas.  If you want to listen to the announcement, you an open your stateroom door or tune in on the ship channel.  Only muster/emergency announcements will be broadcast into the stateroom.

Oh my!  Single part?  Can you pick a favorite child?

-Service!  This will stand out to you.  Your cabin stewards, bartenders, wait staff, reception, reservations desk baristas.  If you are thinking you might like something, just ask!

-Cooking classes in the Culinary Center.

-Afternoon tea with the string quartet.  So civilized.

-Baristas.  I usually visit here twice a day.  

-La Reserve.  This wine pairing dinner, any menu, is something I would encourage everyone to experience at least once.  Don't let the prius hold you back.  It is a fabulous evening and you will likely meet some new friends.  If you choose a beverage package, the 18% gratuity will be waived.

-Bread!  I save all my bread carbs for an Oceania cruise because there is a difference.  My memory may not be exact, but there are something like 14 pastry chefs on Marina & Riviera (O class ships) plus 5 bakers.  The bakers work in shifts beginggin at 3 a.m. baking all the beautiful breads, loaves, sticky buns etc. for every venue, everyday with flour specifically source from a farm in France.  There is a difference and it is worth it!

Enjoy the cruise!

Katie

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KatieBelle said:

Hello sppunk!

We just returned from sailing on Riviera, Marina's sister ship.  The short answer to this is yes!  But I'm not prone to short answers.  You will definitely notice a difference in the Terrace Cafe.  We had bowls of fresh berries every morning as well as trays of pineapple, mellons, guava, and so much more.  There are hard boiled as well as 3 minute eggs, eggs cooked to order (poached, fried, benedict) as well as an egg dish of the day (Huevos Rancheros, Tuscan eggs benedict, etc.).  And all served by staff, no masses handling serving utensils, stirring around in bowls.  I think your wife will be pleased.

Others have already assured you that this can be accommodated and is an easy request in just about any dining venue.  May I suggest y'all try the seared scallops (Coquille Saint-Jacques) in Jacques.  For me these surpass the Miso Glazed Sea Bass in Red Ginger that so many rave about.  Personal opinion.  But that's the beauty of Oceania.  You can try it all!

No art auctions, photographers.  There will be some table displays of merchandise in the evenings.  Easy to avoid.  

Most Cruise Directors on Oceania keep announcements to a minimum.  They will occur about 8-9 a.m., depending on sail in.  Again about 5 p.m.  There may be an announcement about 11 a.m. or 12 noon.  We were usually off the ship.  These will be in the corridor and public areas.  If you want to listen to the announcement, you an open your stateroom door or tune in on the ship channel.  Only muster/emergency announcements will be broadcast into the stateroom.

Oh my!  Single part?  Can you pick a favorite child?

-Service!  This will stand out to you.  Your cabin stewards, bartenders, wait staff, reception, reservations desk baristas.  If you are thinking you might like something, just ask!

-Cooking classes in the Culinary Center.

-Afternoon tea with the string quartet.  So civilized.

-Baristas.  I usually visit here twice a day.  

-La Reserve.  This wine pairing dinner, any menu, is something I would encourage everyone to experience at least once.  Don't let the prius hold you back.  It is a fabulous evening and you will likely meet some new friends.  If you choose a beverage package, the 18% gratuity will be waived.

-Bread!  I save all my bread carbs for an Oceania cruise because there is a difference.  My memory may not be exact, but there are something like 14 pastry chefs on Marina & Riviera (O class ships) plus 5 bakers.  The bakers work in shifts beginggin at 3 a.m. baking all the beautiful breads, loaves, sticky buns etc. for every venue, everyday with flour specifically source from a farm in France.  There is a difference and it is worth it!

Enjoy the cruise!

Katie

Does Oceania by chance create pretzels? HAL used to but we haven’t seen them in years - it’s a favorite snack of ours!

On 5/31/2019 at 6:45 PM, sppunk said:

Thank you all!

I too was a HAL passenger a long time ago.... 

First major pleasure.... 1/2 to 1/3 the passengers, no lines well mannered well traveled. 

Second The food quality and variety..  Salmon???.... oh yes ... also lobster, Tuna  steak, Mahi Mahi  even at the pool grill !1..Daily, every day.

Third :  No auction, Gala night, art auction, up sell. no fixed dining  no extra cost specialties....    

Plenty of room to walk on a  jogging track built to that  reason

Warning:   you may get angry at your self for not leaving HAL sooner..... Welcome to a whole new world  that you deserve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sppunk said:

Does Oceania by chance create pretzels? HAL used to but we haven’t seen them in years - it’s a favorite snack of ours!

No  but you could request  the bakers....   I think you will be so overwhelmed by the sheer number of  food choices from fruit-meats-fish and baked goods that you will be astounded .  Even the pool grill is served by waiters !!!  You can have lobster everyday, in every venue ..... not  once a cruise as some  faux gala.....

You have no idea how good it can get....

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 9:45 AM, Classiccruiser777 said:

Breakfast in the Terrace includes large bowls of fresh berries, (typically strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and/or blackberries) various sliced fresh fruits and many, many other tasty offerings including lox. All as much as you desire and served to you as you desire.

Salads are made to order with dressings made on board. I’m familiar with HALs salad bars, which are good, but we greatly prefer Oceania’s salads, better quality ingredients.

Oceania doesn’t have “art auctions” or photographers and, generally, very few announcements. Some CDs make more than others but overall far fewer than on HAL.

Unfortunately the current O ships don’t have a full, proper promenade deck but do have a smaller walking track and outstanding gyms. Sports drinks, towels provided.

We are “three star mariners” and like HAL when we get a terrific deal but there isn’t a comparison between the two lines in our opinion. Oceania is far superior. The food, beds, decor, service, the smaller ships, ambiance are so much better. If you’ve ever had tea on HAL make sure you have afternoon tea in Horizons. Totally different experience. Oceania’s is wonderful.

We also are 3 star Mariners and have done seven Oceania cruises. Just disembarked  Zuiderdam yesterday and cruised on Riviera in March, so comparison is pretty fresh in my mind.  Your points are spot on EXCEPT for the announcements. Oceania has far far more annoying announcements. It somewhat depends on cruise director but I have yet to be on a HAL cruise that has as many or as lengthy announcements as Oceania. One additional point is that if you like evening entertainment, HAL is now far superior with their great music walk area containing B.B. King Blues club, Lincoln Center strings concerts and dual piano entertainment. Of course this is important to some, not so much to others

Edited by edgee
Clarity

I have wondered something about the complaints regarding excessive announcements.  We've never noticed them, but perhaps that's because when we are in our room we don't have the system turned on.  If we hear an announcement is being broadcast we can open the door to see if it's something we want/need to know.

Are these complaints about when passengers are NOT in their rooms, so of course they hear them?

Mura

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mura said:

I have wondered something about the complaints regarding excessive announcements.  We've never noticed them, but perhaps that's because when we are in our room we don't have the system turned on.  If we hear an announcement is being broadcast we can open the door to see if it's something we want/need to know.

Are these complaints about when passengers are NOT in their rooms, so of course they hear them?

Mura

My most recent travels have been on the O ships and the booming announcements repeating what everyone can read in Currents are only in public areas. However the sound comes with sufficient volume to be heard in my cabin and in cabin bathrooms. Last straw for me was when the "sales" at shops were being touted in carnival barker's tone and droned on and on.  For me the announcement "problem" is a big enough deal to discourage me from cruising Oceania. If itinerary and price are favorable we will still go with them, but the damn announcements and lack of decent evening entertainment options means we cruise Oceania less often.

46 minutes ago, edgee said:

My most recent travels have been on the O ships and the booming announcements repeating what everyone can read in Currents are only in public areas. However the sound comes with sufficient volume to be heard in my cabin and in cabin bathrooms. Last straw for me was when the "sales" at shops were being touted in carnival barker's tone and droned on and on.  For me the announcement "problem" is a big enough deal to discourage me from cruising Oceania. If itinerary and price are favorable we will still go with them, but the damn announcements and lack of decent evening entertainment options means we cruise Oceania less often.

Oof not good to hear. 

Our last HAL cruise had 2 announcements a day - one was the captain’s report ahd the other a 45 sec or so cruise director announcement saying where the gangway was or on a Sea day basically to have a good day. 

I'm with Paul in his last comment.  OTOH, our last cruise was a year ago on Riviera and we just did NOT hear those announcements, certainly not when we were in our suite.  That is why I asked the question.  In fact, we usually miss most of an announcement because if we are in our room by the time we get to the door to hear what is being said, it's over.

True, it's now a year since we cruised ... but I've seen these complaints for quite a while before that last cruise.  We were on Marina in November 2017 and didn't hear these announcements there either.

BUT given that many people here are complaining, these increased announcements do seem a drawback.  Oceania has always put it forth as a strong point that they do NOT have these announcements.  So why the change?  Obviously, at least people here on CC aren't happy with them.  Even on Renaissance the point was made that announcements did not get sent to cabins.

Mura

Just off Marina two weeks ago and there were not any announcements in the cabins except for the muster drill.  (The food and service were better then ever; however the nightly shows were much worse than ever.)

• Like 1