Viking Sky Investigation

Haworth

We have just received an email from Viking asking if we are prepared to register, confidentially, for a survey on behalf of the Accident Investigation Bureau of Norway, they would like to survey guests as they complete their investigation.

Is Viking doing the survey or is the Accident Investigation Bureau?  Seems like a strange thing to be doing from the perspective of an investigative body to be asking people's opinions on what they experienced as opposed to getting official statements?

Or is Viking asking permission to forward your contact information to the investigators?

5 hours ago, Haworth said:

Viking are “helping to facilitate the voluntary survey”

I still can't help but think there's something dubious about this type of language and wouldn't be the least bit surprised if its really just Viking taking the survey to try and gauge from a PR perspective how much (or little) effect the incident has had on future bookings.

This to me would be like AMTRAK sending out surveys on behalf of the NTSB after a train derailment 🙄

It would be interesting to hear/see what this survey is all about...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

I still can't help but think there's something dubious about this type of language and wouldn't be the least bit surprised if its really just Viking taking the survey to try and gauge from a PR perspective how much (or little) effect the incident has had on future bookings.

This to me would be like AMTRAK sending out surveys on behalf of the NTSB after a train derailment 🙄

3 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

I certainly hope, again, that people don't bring their previous bias to this situation.  There has been so much news and fake news out there that it is hard to tell from an outsider what is real.  Let's let what happens, happen and until then, not speculate.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

I certainly hope, again, that people don't bring their previous bias to this situation.  There has been so much news and fake news out there that it is hard to tell from an outsider what is real.  Let's let what happens, happen and until then, not speculate.

I have not seen the survey yet, I can only speak for myself, it will be answered as honestly and factually as possible, if one answer from one person helps put in place extra safety measures for cruise ships then it must be a good thing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Viking is sending out the query because while the NAIB has the passenger manifest, they do not have the contact information for all the passengers, which Viking does.  Viking has not been found at any fault for the incident by the NAIB, so why would they not wish to cooperate?

• Like 5

8 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

I do find it rather bizarre that some members here seem to have an extraordinary bias against Viking, yet hang around the Viking threads, constantly trying to disparage and jab at Viking and upset others who are happy with Viking and CHOOSE to travel with Viking. I also find it rather strange that comments can be made about Viking correspondence sent out to the passengers of the 14th March cruise, when that individual hasn't read them or clearly understood them.

Is this a vendetta? Has this person had personal experience of Viking and wants to tarnish their reputation because of some previous upset? I really am rather puzzled about this.

To further clarify: Viking have emailed us with a link to the Accident Investigation Board of Norway (AIBN), who will be conducting a voluntary survey of passengers of the 14th March cruise to allow them to finalise the incident report. This information is confidential and Viking will not be party to the responses.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

so when someone offers a perspective which is outside the 'i love Viking, and Viking is perfect in every way' category its considered 'fake news'?  what happened to objectivity?  all i'm saying is that i find it a bit strange for a cruise line to suddenly want to facilitate a survey of all things, (which those of us who've cruised know this is the industry's litmus test on everything...) post accident on behalf of an investigative branch.  until those who've done the survey can offer more insight as to what is being asked all anyone can do is speculate but i for one don't approach any of these incidents with my head in the sand

46 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Viking is sending out the query because while the NAIB has the passenger manifest, they do not have the contact information for all the passengers, which Viking does.  Viking has not been found at any fault for the incident by the NAIB, so why would they not wish to cooperate?

i agree that the NAIB has limited contact information for guests involved; however, it still doesn't change the fact that its seemingly odd for an investigative body to conduct a survey post incident.  albeit more extreme, does anyone know if those involved in the Concordia disaster were surveyed??

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DGHOC said:

I do find it rather bizarre that some members here seem to have an extraordinary bias against Viking, yet hang around the Viking threads, constantly trying to disparage and jab at Viking and upset others who are happy with Viking and CHOOSE to travel with Viking. I also find it rather strange that comments can be made about Viking correspondence sent out to the passengers of the 14th March cruise, when that individual hasn't read them or clearly understood them.

Is this a vendetta? Has this person had personal experience of Viking and wants to tarnish their reputation because of some previous upset? I really am rather puzzled about this.

To further clarify: Viking have emailed us with a link to the Accident Investigation Board of Norway (AIBN), who will be conducting a voluntary survey of passengers of the 14th March cruise to allow them to finalise the incident report. This information is confidential and Viking will not be party to the responses.

Why beat around the bush and not name names?  Or better yet, click the 'ignore' button like so many others who only want to wear rose tinted glasses when they read anything about their beloved Viking?  

To suggest that any critical comments (in line with the name of the website/forum) are based on having a vendetta is laughable at the least, and to think that someone offering a differing opinion amid the myriad of gushing responses is somehow going to tarnish a company's reputation is hilarious as well.

There is a lot that I enjoy about Viking, but why pile on with the kudos when its well known the food is great, the crew are friendly, and the ship's are beautiful?  I suppose most people prefer the easy route when it comes to lauding praise on a company which then makes it easy to swallow the garbage that follows, but I for one am not that person.  If and when I pay a substantial fee for a product I have high expectations on the return, as I would expect many others should too therefore i don't blindly follow them down the rabbit hole as they, like every other company in the industry are profit driven and do everything they can do maximize that profit while trying desperately to minimize the 'bad press'.

• Like 1

Oh I don't need to name names, it is perfectly clear to anyone reading any one of your 59 posts that there is a motive in your posting. Neither do I need to press an 'ignore' button, I find your posts rather comical and predictable and also really very sad.

Am I right in my assumption that you were dissatisfied in some way by a Viking cruise or have you never been on one?

Have a lovely day my friend. 😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain_Morgan said:

i agree that the NAIB has limited contact information for guests involved; however, it still doesn't change the fact that its seemingly odd for an investigative body to conduct a survey post incident.  albeit more extreme, does anyone know if those involved in the Concordia disaster were surveyed??

I find nothing odd about it.  Just as the NTSB is charged with not only accident investigation, but also with conducting safety studies and investigative hearings, these may be accident specific, or pertain to general industry issues.  Since the accident investigation by the NAIB is complete, this would appear to be a safety study of the maritime industry, or to use the NTSB's terminology, if sworn testimony is requested, then it would be an investigative hearing.  For all we know, it could center around the helicopter evacuation process, or be a study into further redundancies to be requested of the IMO in their Safe Return to Port requirements.

And what would the Concordia have to do with this, since one was investigated by the Italian Maritime Authority, and this incident by the Norwegian Accident Investigation Board, and each country is allowed to have their own laws as to how incidents and accidents are investigated, just like the US has their own laws concerning these issues.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I find nothing odd about it.  Just as the NTSB is charged with not only accident investigation, but also with conducting safety studies and investigative hearings, these may be accident specific, or pertain to general industry issues.  Since the accident investigation by the NAIB is complete, this would appear to be a safety study of the maritime industry, or to use the NTSB's terminology, if sworn testimony is requested, then it would be an investigative hearing.  For all we know, it could center around the helicopter evacuation process, or be a study into further redundancies to be requested of the IMO in their Safe Return to Port requirements.

And what would the Concordia have to do with this, since one was investigated by the Italian Maritime Authority, and this incident by the Norwegian Accident Investigation Board, and each country is allowed to have their own laws as to how incidents and accidents are investigated, just like the US has their own laws concerning these issues.

which is why i said it will be interesting to see/hear more about what is being asked by way of the survey as to the specifics of the questions, etc.

and my reference to Concordia has nothing to do with the jurisdiction of the investigative body as much as it has to do with whether or not Carnival Corp. sent out a survey on behalf of, as lets be honest (thankfully) there have been so few maritime incidences involving cruise ships in comparison to aviation or rail that there's little to compare to.

1 hour ago, Captain_Morgan said:

which is why i said it will be interesting to see/hear more about what is being asked by way of the survey as to the specifics of the questions, etc.

and my reference to Concordia has nothing to do with the jurisdiction of the investigative body as much as it has to do with whether or not Carnival Corp. sent out a survey on behalf of, as lets be honest (thankfully) there have been so few maritime incidences involving cruise ships in comparison to aviation or rail that there's little to compare to.

Please read the posts from those who have received notification carefully.  Viking is not sending out a survey, any more than Carnival did, Viking is notifying passengers that the NAIB is requesting they participate in the survey, and the survey will come from the NAIB.  So, whether Carnival notified the Concordia passengers that the IMA wanted their participation in a survey, would have depended on whether or not the IMA was conducting a survey.  So it has everything to do with the jurisdiction of the investigative body.  The survey is not coming from Viking.  And you do know that the NTSB is frequently called in by the USCG to act as forensic investigators for maritime incidents, so they have experience with ships as well as trains and planes.

I have no dog in this fight, never having sailed on Viking, nor worked for them, but I won't let unfounded conspiracy theories go unchallenged.

• Like 10

so speculation is now unfounded conspiracy theory?  that's hilarious!  for the sake of argument i will concede that context is often lost in forum posts so i will chalk this up to that as if an in person conversation/debate was occurring i'm sure objective opinions would be heard more clearly.

my initial comment was on the peculiarity of the inclusion of a survey by an investigative body and the fact that, as was quoted up thread that “Viking are helping to facilitate the voluntary survey” which may very well be that they are forwarding the link on behalf of, but it can't be ignored that they also have a vested interest in what is said.

It seems as if Viking and the NAIB can't win here.

-If guests were contacted ONLY by the NAIB, people would complain that their private contact information was provided to NAIB by Viking, without their permission.  

-If the NAIB didn't  provide an optional survey for passengers, people would complain that the official investigative organization wasn't interested in their experience. 

-If Viking didn't assist the NAIB with providing an optional survey, people would say that Viking was trying to hide something. 

Carry on. 

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

It seems as if Viking and the NAIB can't win here.

-If guests were contacted ONLY by the NAIB, people would complain that their private contact information was provided to NAIB by Viking, without their permission.  

-If the NAIB didn't  provide an optional survey for passengers, people would complain that the official investigative organization wasn't interested in their experience. 

-If Viking didn't assist the NAIB with providing an optional survey, people would say that Viking was trying to hide something. 

Actually, I think both parties are winning, the dissension  from that view point comes from one or two voices.

• Like 2

This is a bit off-topic, but have you read about the Viking river cruise collision with the tour boat carrying S. Korean tourists? So sad, and apparently, they have taken the captain of Viking Sigyn into custody. This is not turning out to be a good year for Viking.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/30/world/europe/budapest-boat-accident.html

Edited by OceanPatter