Non Millennial Here; Walk Me Through Facial Recognition

helen haywood

Hey, we are sailing on Equinox soon.  I did my check-in on the app and it scanned my passport and took a picture of me.  Then sent me a digital express pass....so far like airline check-ins.  Wondering how terminal check-in goes now.  If I show my digital express pass does the agent not need my passport?  (I will have it of course, just wonder what step having me scan it is supposed to expedite.)  Does the agent not need to take another picture for my SeaPass card?  If the SeaPass cards are now outside our staterooms how does boarding the ship go as previously I'd have it in hand and the crew would scan it as I boarded.  Will the agent in the terminal be able to tell me that she sees my beverage package from her computer?  Or will I have to wait to board to see for myself?  And if you need to go to your cabin to pick up your SeaPass card does that mean the corridors are open as soon as you board?  I have read of people on Edge who said they dropped their carry ons off in their cabin.  Are the doors closed?

Thanks for any help!

• 3 months later...

We sailed last week.  We were in the suite lounge in the terminal and someone came up to us, scanned our Xpasses and that was that.  I'm not sure if we showed our passports or not.  I don't think they had facial recognition there.  Where it was used was on disembarkation when you go through immigration.  You walk up to the screen, when it recognizes you they wave you on.  Very cool, very quick.

You then scan your Xpass again when you are boarding, then go to your cabin to drop off you carry on and your seapass cards are in the mail slot at your cabin.

We were on Summit recently and in Port Liberty U.S. Customs used facial recognition.   You just walked up to a line and the Camera then shows a green light and you were cleared -  no passport or human interaction.   If you got a Red Light you had to see an agent.   

Summit has already gone through it's upgrade and they also used the new App with uploaded picture. 

Well, LOL, no one answered me before we sailed so I can now answer any questions myself!

Download the Celebrity app and do your checkin on it.  It will want you to scan your passport; they only want the numbers at the bottom of the picture page.  Then a photo of yourself.  Then immediately you will receive digital express passes which will say “Expedited Boarding.”  Don’t worry if both of your party doesn’t have those words on the digital pass.

You will enter the terminal (I am specifically talking about Equinox) and don’t have to show anything.  Used to be you had to show your express pass and passport to get in the terminal.  Walk in and go up the escalator.  Look for the sign for Expedited Boarding.  Show the agent your digital pass.  I don’t know why but twice they have retaken photos of us at this point with the iPads in their hands.  You are not at the counters anymore.  I never needed to take out my passport either at embarkation or disembarkation.

You go through the security scanners then.  If boarding has begun you walk right on.  You do not have to show the digital express pass to anyone again to board.  (You used to have to show your Sea Pass card several times before actually setting foot on the ship...ending with the computer scanners dinging your card.)

You can then use the digital pass as your “card” to order drinks.  (It will say CALL or PAL on it.)  You can go to your cabin and drop off your hand luggage and put stuff in the safe.  Your Sea Pass cards are in the mail slot outside your door.  The door will have a sign on it stating it is in the process of being prepared for you.  There will be an announcement at 1 pm that the cabins are ready.

When exiting the ship you walk up to a camera screen and it scans your face and you are told you are free to go collect your luggage.  After that you walk off.  No Customs or any lines.

Any other questions I can answer?

Edited by helen haywood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did the check in online with my IPAD.  Today I took a picture and uploaded it.  It does not appear on my express pass on my phone.  I think the part I missed was scanning my passport.  

I went back in to my Celebrity app on my phone, but I don’t see how to scan my passport.  Maybe I have to do it on my IPAD  since that’s where I originally did my express pass?

ugh......I wish I was a millennial !

Yes.  

But I am now trying to go back in and find on my phone where I can scan my passport.  I did check in on my IPAD.  There is not prompt to scan passport on IPAD anywhere now.

maybe it’s too late to do that since I already have manually entered everything and have an express pass?

Edited by takemewithyou

7 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

If you have the digital express passes I’d say you are probably done.  I would not have thought it would give you that if the process wasn’t complete/acceptable.  But what do I know?  I’m 59!

Got the digital express pass,  it it does not say “expedited”

It does have a barcode on it

Edited by takemewithyou

This is all very interesting, but what does any of it have to do with being "a millennial?" 

Why the assumption that understanding technology is limited to people under a certain age, OR conversely that everyone under a certain age understands technology?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

This is all very interesting, but what does any of it have to do with being "a millennial?" 

Why the assumption that understanding technology is limited to people under a certain age, OR conversely that everyone under a certain age understands technology?

Lighten up, Francis.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

I started this thread and I am just stating a fact that I am not familiar with the technology for which I was asking help.  I am not making any far reaching assumptions on any age group.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I started this thread and I am just stating a fact that I am not familiar with the technology for which I was asking help.  I am not making any far reaching assumptions on any age group.

Thanks for your help.

i certainly appreciated your walk through of the embarkation process since it has all changed since the last time I sailed.  

• Like 1

Was on Summit sailing from Bayonne in May after Revolution and you still went to the counter and got your seapass card before getting on the ship.  The procedure mentioned here, especially the facial recognition may only be available in Terminal 25 in Port Everglades where Equinox has been sailing from this summer and Edge will be returning to for winter sailings.

14 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Well, LOL, no one answered me before we sailed so I can now answer any questions myself!

Download the Celebrity app and do your checkin on it.  It will want you to scan your passport; they only want the numbers at the bottom of the picture page.  Then a photo of yourself.  Then immediately you will receive digital express passes which will say “Expedited Boarding.”  Don’t worry if both of your party doesn’t have those words on the digital pass.

You will enter the terminal (I am specifically talking about Equinox) and don’t have to show anything.  Used to be you had to show your express pass and passport to get in the terminal.  Walk in and go up the escalator.  Look for the sign for Expedited Boarding.  Show the agent your digital pass.  I don’t know why but twice they have retaken photos of us at this point with the iPads in their hands.  You are not at the counters anymore.  I never needed to take out my passport either at embarkation or disembarkation.

You go through the security scanners then.  If boarding has begun you walk right on.  You do not have to show the digital express pass to anyone again to board.  (You used to have to show your Sea Pass card several times before actually setting foot on the ship...ending with the computer scanners dinging your card.)

You can then use the digital pass as your “card” to order drinks.  (It will say CALL or PAL on it.)  You can go to your cabin and drop off your hand luggage and put stuff in the safe.  Your Sea Pass cards are in the mail slot outside your door.  The door will have a sign on it stating it is in the process of being prepared for you.  There will be an announcement at 1 pm that the cabins are ready.

When exiting the ship you walk up to a camera screen and it scans your face and you are told you are free to go collect your luggage.  After that you walk off.  No Customs or any lines.

Any other questions I can answer?

Hi, I have completed this and got the Express Pass for both me and DH.  Neither says ‘expedited boarding’ or ‘call’ for our drinks package. Does it matter? 

35 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

Do you have to scan a picture when you do online booking or can you wait til you get to the pier? How to do all the scanning stuff is beyond me and I just want to do it the old fashioned way.

Laura

I think you can have it done at the pier if you want to. I saw some people having pictures taken.

Carolyn

On 9/6/2019 at 9:35 PM, takemewithyou said:

Yes.  

But I am now trying to go back in and find on my phone where I can scan my passport.  I did check in on my IPAD.  There is not prompt to scan passport on IPAD anywhere now.

maybe it’s too late to do that since I already have manually entered everything and have an express pass?

I’ve done all the work as well and got an express pass for all individuals in our cabin and no where did it say to scan our passports. I did do our check in online and entered our passport there. 

I think all is good as long as you got an express pass with bar code.

sea ya 

Eric

• Thanks 1