The Sanctuary

Pickels

28 minutes ago, EmilyColwell said:

Probably a dumb question but other than the pool and loungers is there anything else included for the price?

I totally understand peace and calmness is worth its weight in gold (at least to me) but curious if there's any other perks.

I've never been in sanctuary before since i've had bad luck with cruise weather in the past.

My perks are:

Being able to reserve your chair and leave your belongings for the day

the staff will get you your drinks

they will get you food, ( I get my own) 

you can can order food off a menu for a fee

cold towel 

afternoon tee

and as you said peace,  quiet plus away from the crowds

These are two of the items from the spa dining menu in the sanctuary. It’s not a menu available anywhere else. You can order any or all and it’s a $3 delivery charge per person.  No charge for the food items 

98B2E26E-5B9D-4F2B-8496-0E1583E3C9B5.jpeg

27340654-4D46-4E16-8238-DEA2FA63EAAE.jpeg

2 hours ago, wineforhealth said:

My perks are:

cold towel 

afternoon tee

You missed one thing: the best ocean views on the ship especially if you're sitting in one of the loungers overlooking the bow when you go through the Messina Strait, or the Torres Strait, or some other very scenic transit.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You missed one thing: the best ocean views on the ship especially if you're sitting in one of the loungers overlooking the bow when you go through the Messina Strait, or the Torres Strait, or some other very scenic transit.

Your so right with the views that you can’t beat.

On 6/1/2019 at 8:53 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

We always use the Sanctuary on sea days when there is one (Majestic doesn't have one), even on the rare occasion when we have a balcony cabin as I find the Princess balcony furniture extremely uncomfortable. $20 pp for a peaceful afternoon, a guaranteed  comfortable sun lounger, with chilled water and afternoon tea served at your sun lounger, is good value in our opinion.

I so agree with your statement. We’ve had balconies last few cruises but have come to enjoy the very pleasant, peaceful afternoons in the Sanctuary. We tire of the “chair hogs” on open decks near the pools and long for some quiet time. The view from the Sanctuary can’t be beat. As mentioned earlier, the afternoon tea served is a meal itself and just lovely. I have become very fond of the cucumber water. Refreshing! For us, it’s all about the quiet, private time and afternoon treats. To each his own! We usually do just one afternoon per cruise and that’s sufficient. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, wineforhealth said:

My perks are:

cold towel 

afternoon tee

I didn't realize they had food up there!

1 hour ago, EmilyColwell said:

I didn't realize they had food up there!

They don't - it comes from elsewhere.  When we have used Sanctuary in the past (Caribbean), I just go and get my own food from Horizon or elsewhere - whatever strikes me.  Have not been interested in Sanctuary menu offerings.  I was there for the chair and the peace and the ocean.

Glacier Bay day in The Sanctuary on the Coral Princess in May of 2019...Best. Day. Ever.  And the weather was gorgeous.  My husband and I had such a relaxing, fun and memorable day. We didn’t originally book The Sanctuary because we had a great balcony, but returned later and were very glad we did. The staff was excellent and friendly. The cost is $60 each for Glacier Bay all day.  It was worth every penny and I’m a penny pincher. The view was spectacular from this quiet and peaceful 2 level aft vantage point. The other passengers (only a few) were fun and equally enthusiastic.  It was advantageous to be able to move so quickly from port to starboard side for wildlife and marine mammal viewings. Yes, we were greeted with mimosas and had lunch and other lovely extras throughout the day, including designated lounge chairs, but the wide open vista was truly magnificent and the best part of the experience. (We almost kept this secret hideaway to ourselves and were reluctant to post, but finally decided to share as we want others to have this amazing opportunity.)  Safe and happy travels to all of you. 

• Like 1

I can't add much to what others have said but would agree:

* There is a short menu of food available only here.  Do note the $3 delivery charge.

* When done right, tea time in the Sanctuary is a very nice serene experience.  I say when done right because, as others have noted, the method of delivery does vary day to day / ship to ship.  It's best when they do the "full trolley" coming to every lounger with a full assortment of tea sandwiches, scones, cakes and cookies.  If there are few users they scale back the service, at times bringing only a pre-plated assortment of (mostly) things I'd never choose.  This is one of those occasions where busy is better than slow - a full sanctuary tends to assure a fully trolley tea service in my experience.

* No one else seems to have mentioned this, and I'm not sure this is fleet wide, but on our last two cruises on Grand the Sanctuary set up a small breakfast buffet.  Coffee, tea, juices, pastries, fruit, yogurt.  I'd not seen this before.  We didn't use this as we came out following suite breakfast - but it was a nice touch which I can imagine planning to use another time when we had a lesser cabin. 

Aside from this, great views and tranquility are the major selling features.

I will be on the Island Princess June 12-19 and will have an inside cabin, obstructed view. I am wondering whether you think it is worthwhile to purchase the Sanctuary for our Glacier Bay day? I have heard that the decks can get quite crowded - what is the view like from this deck? Does it go all the way around? Also, since the Park Ranger comes on board for talks, would I be wasting my money with the Sanctuary if I attended these talks? This is my first time cruising with Princess and in Alaska so I have lots of questions. Thanks for your help! 

21 minutes ago, krogersboston said:

I will be on the Island Princess June 12-19 and will have an inside cabin, obstructed view. I am wondering whether you think it is worthwhile to purchase the Sanctuary for our Glacier Bay day? I have heard that the decks can get quite crowded - what is the view like from this deck? Does it go all the way around? Also, since the Park Ranger comes on board for talks, would I be wasting my money with the Sanctuary if I attended these talks? This is my first time cruising with Princess and in Alaska so I have lots of questions. Thanks for your help! 

I haven't done the Sanctuary on an Alaskan cruise (we use it on Caribbean cruises all the time and love it) but I can tell you that on Glacier Bay Day the NPS rangers give a 45 - 60 minute presentation in the theater but most of their narrative is done over the public address system so you'll have no trouble hearing them.  They also set up a table of exhibits (location will be in the Patter) that you can visit anytime they are on the ship (which on our 3 Alaska cruises was 6 am to 3 pm more or less).

P.S. Welcome to cruise critic!

Edited by capriccio

On 6/2/2019 at 8:50 AM, Pickels said:

On the Regal Princess, our last 7-day cruise, we spent a total of $420 for the entire cruise.  What a pleasure of not having to worry about chair hogs, nor being concerned that when we went to lunch, or a dip in the pool, that someone would be taking our lounge chair.  And the personal service throughout the cruise was amazing.  Coffee, tea or ice water, a cool washcloth, etc.  It was worth every penny, way to go Princess!

I totally agree. We just got off the Caribbean Princess and “bought” or chairs for the entire week. The price was $210 each.  They also have private cabanas which are very (ridiculously) expensive. The tea service at 3:00 was served by staff, including tea sandwiches, small dessert cakes, and cookies.  They also served coffee and tea.  The staff comes around frequently to offer water and you can order drinks that they will get for you from the bar.   I love that we can come and go and leave our things on our chairs and not have to worry about being a “chair hog.”  

By the way the Sancuary was not full at any time during our week. 

I recently read The Sanctuary on the Island Princess has been reduced to only one level since their most recent dry dock remodel. You’ll want to confirm this. Rooms were added displacing some public spaces on the ship. I recommend checking It out as soon as you step on board and see if it appeals to you. It’s my understanding that you can only sign up at The Sanctuary (not prior to your cruise.). If you book early,  you’ll have your choice of chaise lounges. You should be able to find photos online.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, krogersboston said:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2559189-alaska-diy-land-amp-coral-princess-sb-june-13-2018/page/2/

not the Island  but post #29 has some great information.  

I just got on the Island and checked out The Sanctuary as suggested. It is indeed only one floor but it looked like enough space to enjoy great views during our Glacier Bay day so we booked it. I'll have to let you know my review after we use it but I am excited to give it a try! 

20190612_181320.jpg

20190612_181307.jpg

20190612_181301.jpg

4 minutes ago, krogersboston said:

I just got on the Island and checked out The Sanctuary as suggested. It is indeed only one floor but it looked like enough space to enjoy great views during our Glacier Bay day so we booked it. I'll have to let you know my review after we use it but I am excited to give it a try!

Lovely pictures!  I hope the weather stays as nice for your entire cruise.

• Like 1