Flying to Noway

We also used Viking's Custom Air for our flights in July and were able to arrange flights with which we're very happy. We're booked on an overnight Air France flight from Washington Dulles to Paris. Our layover there is sufficient that we have no worries about customs, immigration, and the like without it being too long--then onward with Air France to Bergen.

They also use Icelandic Airlines but be aware that Icelandic charges $95 for the first checked bag--and that is not included in the airfare. Even though other flight plans will be longer, I am hoping not to have to use Icelandic on our Bergen to Iceland cruise.

Before they allowed custom air on flights to Bergen (2016), we were booked on British Air to London, sailed to Norway and then flew BA Bergen to London to home.

6 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

They also use Icelandic Airlines but be aware that Icelandic charges $95 for the first checked bag--and that is not included in the airfare. Even though other flight plans will be longer, I am hoping not to have to use Icelandic on our Bergen to Iceland cruise.

Before they allowed custom air on flights to Bergen (2016), we were booked on British Air to London, sailed to Norway and then flew BA Bergen to London to home.

Couldn't agree more. re. Icelandic Air....I had the misfortune of flying with them from Bergen back to NA and it was a less than desirable experience, least of all the experience of transiting Reykjavik airport which looked more like a squatters village than an airport at the time.

One thing I can also offer is for those connecting in Amsterdam, Paris, etc. on the inbound make sure you have sufficient time to connect for not only you but also your luggage as when we did one of our first trips out of Bergen a couple years ago we heard so many people had missing luggage with the common denominator seeming to be the connection where the bags didn't make it.  Suffice it to say, I can't imagine waiting days for luggage to arrive at the start of a cruise to be a good way to set the tone for a holiday!

We used Delta from Atlanta to Amsterdam and KLM to Bergen. KLM and Delta are partners.  Be sure to have at least 2 hours in Amsterdam if not more to go through passport control.  Depending on time of day some will get through passport control faster but even at 6:00 AM it still took close to an hour. Coming home at 10:00 AM it took about 90 stress filled minutes.

12 hours ago, retiredman said:

We got a great schedule with a Lufthansa flight from Philly, 2 hr layover in Frankfurt, on to Oslo. Taking the train to Bergen 2 days later.

Awesome! We will probably be doing this next year. I'd love to know how it all worked out for you when it's over.  What about baggage? Did you need to pay extra for your checked bags?

Anne

Edited by Liz Masterson

1 hour ago, Liz Masterson said:

Awesome! We will probably be doing this next year. I'd love to know how it all worked out for you when it's over.  What about baggage? Did you need to pay extra for your checked bags?

Anne

Most companies give first checked bag free for each passenger, especially on international flights. Icelandic is the outlier. Baggage fees can be found on each companies website.