What would you do? Cancel or go?

BullyLvr

Something similar happened to us.  A month before a planned trip to Ireland my husband broke his leg. He was in a cast and he bought one of those scooters just for the trip.  We ended up having a great time, my kids loved standing on the front and using it with him as a stroller.  There was some things he couldn't do, but for the most part it was fine.  He even managed to hobble, using me as a cane, into some of the  castles that didn't allow/ he couldn't use the scooter.  It was definitely memorable!  No vacation is perfect and since you already know what to expect I would go.  You can walk the towns, take on the views, hike, and drink in the brewery with only one good arm!

Edited by bearette
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BullyLvr said:

You’re probably right!  As hubby said, no cleaning, no cooking, and we do have the drink package. I’m just feeling like  having a pity party I guess. I’m sure I’ll be fine.

I also think you are jumping the gun with cancelling the spa pass.  You still can soak in a hot tub with one arm out on the floor, use the heated loungers, etc.  This could be your personal retreat to get your mind off things.  Life happens.  Don't let it stop you from cruising or experiencing all that you can while on vacation.

• Like 1

I broke my wrist and was in severepain until I got my cast ..once on ..no pain ..I do not think you will have discomfort ...take meds justin case ..I never needed them 

can you dress yourself easily ....do you have family to help with luggage etc 

do take many big garbage bags and tape to wrap your cast when you shower .....very comfy slip proof shoes ..someone will need to help you secure the garbage bag over your arm tight to prevent seepage 

could you function with othearm ....i broke my left wrist so was able to functionwith right hand 

can you put your arm in a coat easily ...you might need one ...so try putting one on 

once home do go to physio to get arm back in shape 

depending on your positive attitude you could do thisbut family will need to help ...but walking visiting should be ok 

good luck 

• Like 1

Enroute to our recent cruise out of San Antonio Chile, my cruise critic friend broke her arm at the Paris airport.

She was treated there with a cast and carried on her journey and cruise with a great attitude. The only glitch was that the broken arm was the one needed for eating, writing, etc. Her DH was a great help to her as I am sure the OP's family will be to her.

I had a similar dilemma, i broke my leg and my ankle 4 weeks before my cruise. I was determined to go but worried about struggling. In the end I told the doc to remove my cast a few days before the cruise and hobbled around and went. Don't regret it at all. Any pain can be dealt with at the bar with their healing potions! It is a lot easier than you would think.

13 hours ago, david_sobe said:

You say you will be miserable.  IMHO I think you would be more miserable home with a broken arm regretting cancelling your cruise  At least the vacation will take your mind off things and what a great way to start healing.

I vote not to cancel

THIS!  Of course you should go!  What better way to begin the healing process than on a cruise!  Cruising cures everything.  

If your itinerary is the same as mine you will be in the US except for the time in Victoria. You will

have access to medical care where they speak English and your insurance (probably) will be

accepted. I went on a cruise after recovering from a very serious illness and we picked Alaska

for that very reason. If your grandchild is young they might need a nap in the afternoon even

if they don't normally take one so you can rest at the same time and let the others do their thing.

Oh forgot to add that unless new information has come out about bone healing

since I was in school, at one week things are already starting to heal up.

Edited by Peachypooh

Thank you all so much!  I guess I just needed to hear this. Yes, I’ll have lots of help, hubby is sweet and helpful but best of all my daughter is a nurse practitioner who works for the orthopedic surgeon who’ll be doing my surgery.  She’ll be a big help.   I guess I was focused on what I  couldn’t do or what would be hard to do, not thinking about having the same issues here at home. Yep, plan is to go unless there’s complications or something. Thanks for all the positive words.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BullyLvr said:

You’re probably right!  As hubby said, no cleaning, no cooking, and we do have the drink package. I’m just feeling like  having a pity party I guess. I’m sure I’ll be fine.

Cancel your pity party.  Don't cancel your cruise.

I hope you've decided to go. My mom fell on ice before our cruise this past March and we all went anyway. Pain killers and the lack of cleaning, cooking or laundry was a great way to feel better (hot tubs helped too!). Took her mind off of it as well and she ended up being able to do much more than we anticipated so it worked out really well. I hope you go and then post back here when you return and let us know how it went.

18 hours ago, BullyLvr said:

So myself, hubby, daughter and grandson are booked in adjoining mini-suites on the 16 June sailing on Bliss, RT Alaska from Seattle. We’re traveling with my brother in law and his family. We are all very excited.  Until.....

Yesterday I broke my left arm badly and will have surgery this Friday, one week from when we fly.  My surgeon says it’s not too complicated of a fix, but I’ll have some hardware. Hopefully all will go well, and I’ll be in much less (or no) pain, but will be in a short arm cast. Today I cancelled my Thermal Spa Pass.  Figured I wouldn’t want to take additional chances of the cast getting wet in the pool or sauna so no use spending the money.  I can lounge in the Observation lounge I guess. But I’m seriously considering canceling the trip. We have insurance and cruise fare would be reimbursed. Flying AA and will be charged $125pp and have 1 year to rebook flights.  I’m just afraid I’ll be miserable.  This will be my 3rd time to Alaska. We don’t have any excursions planned I’d need to cancel, like zip-lining. Hubby says he’ll do whatever I think best.  I’m just kind of afraid. One week after surgery seems a bit too soon. My plan today is wait until a couple days after surgery to see how it goes.  What do you guys and gals think?  How would you feel if this was you?

12 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

Broke right wrist 2017, first 3 days after surgery were the worse, also had hardware put in.   did cancel a land vacation to Mexico, since I would not be able to get in water and couldn't do anything about packing, but I am right handed!    the worse only required a very few pain pills.  I suggest give 3 days after surgery to decide, won't make any difference wise for insurance??  Hope not.  Hoping for your speedy recovery,  

Go go go. My wife broke her wrist in the same month that we had a cruise. She had to cancel a couple of excursions but other than that she had a great time.

I can't think of a better way to recover! :) I broke my  hand a week before a trip to visit my daughter in Salt Lake City and we went anyway and had a great time. Let the staff and family spoil you and you should have a great time.

You guys have all been very encouraging. Yes, unless there’s complications or something, I’ll go. I’ve been so looking forward to sailing on the Bliss.  Thanks for the encouragement.  Now if Friday would get here so I could have the surgery and start the healing........

• Like 1

I had surgery on my neck , 2 discs (repaired/reamed out) and I was in agony before the surgery.  Daughter was getting married in Hawaii about a week later.  Dr. was not keen on letting me go but said it was up to me.  I went.  Flight from Seattle was about 7 hrs.. 

I am so glad I went.  Flight was the easiest one I have ever been on (Pain meds work well for long flights) While in Hawaii I didn't have to drive or lug suitcases around (son did that) and totally enjoyed the entire week.  Best of all if there was a dull sounding touristy thing to do I just said I was a bit tired and didn't have to go. 

Two good points have already been made.  You will be mostly in US waters (your insurance may cover if needed) and Victoria is very close to Seattle.  Healing on a Cruiseship is a lot nicer than sitting around home.  

22 hours ago, BullyLvr said:

Thank you all so much!  I guess I just needed to hear this. Yes, I’ll have lots of help, hubby is sweet and helpful but best of all my daughter is a nurse practitioner who works for the orthopedic surgeon who’ll be doing my surgery.  She’ll be a big help.   I guess I was focused on what I  couldn’t do or what would be hard to do, not thinking about having the same issues here at home. Yep, plan is to go unless there’s complications or something. Thanks for all the positive words.

There you go.  

It looks like you've decided to go, but if you find yourself waffling again....Check with your insurance.  I don't know if a broken arm would be enough for them to justify reimbursing you.  

Just had surgery on left heel, shattered into 3 pieces and multiple shards , two bone grafts, multiple pins plates and screws. Pain for first seven days after surgery pretty high so meds needed now day 10 and just one pill needed to sleep, was in your shoes but decided I would regret more staying home , leaving for cruise in 14 days. Will be non weight bearing for two months to come but will still have a week full of memories with friends and family on this cruise to reflect on for the remainder of my recovery, hope you go and make lots of memories for yourself to enjoy, best wishes on your recovery!!!!

• Like 1