FLL to Port of Miami - Uber?

Let me start by saying I'm an UBER NEWBIE!!!  Have the app and created an account, just never used it!

We don't often sail out of Miami because we usually get better flight deals to FLL.  This next cruise we need to get from FLL to Port of Miami.

Is there an advantage to use an UBER vs just getting in the taxi stand?  We are 2 adults and 2 teens and will have 4 large suitcases.

When would you arrange the ride - in advance, when the plan arrives or when you get your luggage?

Thanks!

I used Uber for the first time at FLL.  I booked the ride after I got my luggage.  The driver was there quickly.  I think the advantage is that it is less expensive than a taxi and you know up front what you are paying.  I have used taxis and don't have a problem with them, it's just nice knowing up front what my ride will cost and paying less with Uber.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

You're going to need an UberXL with 4 people and 4 large suitcases. So price will be around the same as a taxi. But I would still prefer Uber. Taxi service is usually horrible, and they still try to overcharge or take you on a longer route. Uber can't do that. 

You request your ride by plugging in your destination when you walk out of baggage claim. There are Uber pick up areas at each terminal at FLL. 

1 hour ago, Queen of Oakville said:

I just googled and see that there is a tip option.  I'm not sure where I got that you don't tip an uber driver.  Maybe I'm thinking that no cash changes hands.

Uber was non-tipping for a long time, the tip option is relatively new.  It'll ask you to tip after your ride.

• Like 1

I definitely prefer using Uber or Lyft over a taxi. They are usually very nice cars/suv's and you know ahead of time what the cost will be. 

You might want to download Lyft as well to compare prices. I have found about 90% of the time they are cheaper than Uber. 😉

We're doing the same thing - FLL->Miami, just half the people (and hopefully half the luggage!)

Both Uber and Lyft have discounts for your first few rides which will help a tiny bit.   I'm still toying with the idea of taking the Tri-Rail from FLL to MIA airport and then uber from there.  I've done the FLL->MIA a few times and have hit ugly traffic every time.  But I may be trading a tiny bit of money for a lot of extra work.  Guess it'll depend on how I feel that day.  

19 hours ago, Sabalon said:

We're doing the same thing - FLL->Miami, just half the people (and hopefully half the luggage!)

Both Uber and Lyft have discounts for your first few rides which will help a tiny bit.   I'm still toying with the idea of taking the Tri-Rail from FLL to MIA airport and then uber from there.  I've done the FLL->MIA a few times and have hit ugly traffic every time.  But I may be trading a tiny bit of money for a lot of extra work.  Guess it'll depend on how I feel that day.  

That sounds like a lot of work for relatively modesty savings.   You'll need to take a shuttle to the Tri rail stop.  Buy a ticket, I think from a vending machine and hopefully you won't need to wait long for the train.  Could be 30 to 60 minutes during the day. and then arrange another Uber (and wait) for the trip to the hotel.  As far as I can tell the only real reason to take the train is to say you did it.  I would also go all the way.  I'd transfer to the metro-rail and then to the metro mover to get me close t my hotel.

You are correct that you need a smart phone with the app installed and set up with your info.  The hotel cannot book Uber or Lyft for you, but they can set you up with a taxi, shuttle or limo.

I would explore more options. For Ft. Lauderdale to Miami, it's possible a rental car will be cheaper than Uber, and Enterprise may drive you to the port after drop-off if you schedule drop-off at the one right outside the port.

Enterprise, along with National, Alamo and Thrifty will shuttle you to POM after you return the car to the MIA airport rental center.

2 hours ago, emory2001 said:

I would explore more options. For Ft. Lauderdale to Miami, it's possible a rental car will be cheaper than Uber, and Enterprise may drive you to the port after drop-off if you schedule drop-off at the one right outside the port.

23 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

That sounds like a lot of work for relatively modesty savings.   You'll need to take a shuttle to the Tri rail stop.  Buy a ticket, I think from a vending machine and hopefully you won't need to wait long for the train.  Could be 30 to 60 minutes during the day. and then arrange another Uber (and wait) for the trip to the hotel.  As far as I can tell the only real reason to take the train is to say you did it.  I would also go all the way.  I'd transfer to the metro-rail and then to the metro mover to get me close t my hotel.

lol...I'd looked at that path - MetroMover has a stop right in front of the Hyatt.  You also left out the shuttle from FLL to the TriRail station for maximum horror.  🙂

The more I think about this, the more likely it is we're gonna take an Uber/Lyft!