Cane with seat

Jessejo

I will be on a Baltic cruise this summer.  I have no trouble walking though I do use a cane occasionally for long walks.  Has anyone ever travelled with a cane with a seat attached?  I have difficulty standing for long periods and need to sit down occasionally to relieve some back pain.

• Like 1

I have not personally travelled with a cane-seat, but first saw one on a bus trip around Russia and have bought my mom one just for walks. Be aware that the correct and safe way to sit on those cane-seats is with the crooked handle coming up between your legs -- better to wear pants than a skirt (if you are female). 

For flying, they are considered mobility or medical devices and do not count against your one bag + personal item allowance, but will have to be placed overhead in the bin, under or over others' bags.

You can find the cane-seats on Amazon or even eBay -- just be sure to check the weight capacity and choose one on the high side if you are close to the top. It would be terrible to have your 'chair' collapse under you!

My 78 year old father used one that folded out to a tripod during our European cruise,  it worked great, we walked around in Venice, when he got tired, folded it out and sat to rest for a bit....add a glass of wine....perfect!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, PoofCat99 said:

I use one called "flip stick". It is great & folds up into a nice little case for packing. 

I ordered one of those but sent it back - too unsteady for me. Thanks tho for the recommendation.

• Like 1

I used one several years ago when I had a broken ankle.  I traveled to a conference in Boston.  Many cobbled streets there.   I used it standing in lines as well.  It is heavier than  a usual cane,  just make sure it is steady before you sit down.  Again cobbled  streets. 

Drive Medical Folding Lightweight Cane with Sling Style Seat
I have this one (Amazon) that I used on a few cruises. I didn't really like it. Ideally, you sit astride it (like on a horse); that was quite awkward.  It was also not good folded & using as a cane -- too low.  And the jarring as I walked cause the screws to loosen/come out.  I've switched to a regular rollator.

My husband uses one on cruises,  it is heavier than a cane but you can use it to sit instead of standing in aline. It really saved us and allowed us to take tours which would have been really hard without it. He also used it standing in line to get into the MD room.

We ordered it from Amazon, around $25.00 I think.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 6:15 PM, helo driver said:

My 78 year old father used one that folded out to a tripod during our European cruise,  it worked great, we walked around in Venice, when he got tired, folded it out and sat to rest for a bit....add a glass of wine....perfect!

My mom had the same experience - also worked great.

I use a Walkstool brand folding stool.  Very easy to open up and light-weight.  Stable if you take care with the placement of the legs.  Bought it on Amazon.  I needed a seat occasionally because I can't stand for long periods.  I don't need a cane for stability, just a seat when standing long.  This has been great.  I take it on excursions and pack it in my carry-on through airports so I can sit if things come to a stop through immigration.  I've taken it on several cruises and many people have asked where it got it.  Hope this helps.

Margee