Favorite cruise line and/or ship & why?

UrbanGirlie

16 minutes ago, UrbanGirlie said:

Nice to hear Regal is your favorite ship!  We are sailing with them in 7/2020!

Also excited about those Sky Suites on Princess Sky, looking forward to some cruise critic photos!

Yes, those Sky Suites look awesome!  Unfortunately, I won’t be in one of those.  But, I will be in a mini-suite, which I know will be nice.  I had a mini-suite on the Regal both times.  It was very nice.  I am sure you will enjoy the Regal Princess.  

8 minutes ago, UrbanGirlie said:

Thanks! Yes, I’ve only cruised 2x with one line and 3x with another. Not intentionally, it’s just worked out that way.

I have 9 cruises booked through feb/21 on:

That list of upcoming cruises is very nice.  Thinking again, I guess I'd say my favorite ships are Celebrity Solstice Class, so I do recommend giving them a try at some point. 

I also loved Oasis and Navigator with RCI.  Lots to do on those ships and they have a wow factor most ships/lines don't. 

I wish I could agree with Regal Princess.  I wasn't impressed with that ship, but to each their own. 

20 hours ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

I was on Azamara for a Christmas Market cruise along the Danube last December. Vienna to Nuremberg.  It was absolutely spectacular!  

We have been on two Azamara cruises and I have never seen a river cruise listed.  Their ships are smaller than mainstream lines, but too big for Danube locks.  We cruised on the Danube with Vantage.

2 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

We have been on two Azamara cruises and I have never seen a river cruise listed.  Their ships are smaller than mainstream lines, but too big for Danube locks.  We cruised on the Danube with Vantage.

You're right! I misspoke. It was AmaWaterways.

My brain was in a whole different space. I apologize.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

That list of upcoming cruises is very nice.  Thinking again, I guess I'd say my favorite ships are Celebrity Solstice Class, so I do recommend giving them a try at some point. 

I also loved Oasis and Navigator with RCI.  Lots to do on those ships and they have a wow factor most ships/lines don't. 

I wish I could agree with Regal Princess.  I wasn't impressed with that ship, but to each their own. 

Which ships are the solstice class again on celebrity?

Just now, Bizmark'sMom said:

You're right! I misspoke. It was AmaWaterways.

My brain was in a whole different space. I apologize.

I did check them out. (AMA) we wanted to do the Christmas market but they said the November cruises may be too early for all the markets to be open, which would be a disappointment.  We have two holiday cruises in 19 & 20 so it will be on the list sometime

after that!

13 minutes ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

The Christmas  Markets are more accurately Advent Markets. So the beginning of December up to Christmas Eve is the proper timing. Yes, it was cold, and raining, and snowing in Czesky Krumlov. But it was all so beautiful. 

I think my 17yr old daughter is the most excited about this!  It’s like getting to be a little kid all over again 🎅

Edited by UrbanGirlie

3 hours ago, Bookish Angel said:

Celebrity Xpedition because it went to the Galapagos - a new bucket list destination.  Plus, we found the whole Celebrity package  - flights to Quito and Baltra, hotel, transportation, etc., was nearly seamless.

Definitely a bucket lister for me!  I'm really interested in the new Celebrity Flora. 

On 6/9/2019 at 6:47 PM, Aquahound said:

I am curious as to why you don’t care for the Regal Princess?  I have been on her twice and really like the huge buffet area and the lovely Atrium.  We had a mini-suite with an extended angled balcony and thought it was very nice and quite spacious.  Food was fine.  Crew was very accommodating.  Great cruise director.  

What is is it that you don’t like?   No true Promenade Deck perhaps?  Curious minds want to know.  😁

3 hours ago, antmaril said:

I am curious as to why you don’t care for the Regal Princess?  I have been on her twice and really like the huge buffet area and the lovely Atrium.  We had a mini-suite with an extended angled balcony and thought it was very nice and quite spacious.  Food was fine.  Crew was very accommodating.  Great cruise director.  

What is is it that you don’t like?   No true Promenade Deck perhaps?  Curious minds want to know.  😁

I will say that buffet was impressive; probably the best I've seen on any ship. 

My biggest beef with the ship was the lack of a lounge with panoramic views.  The entire ship focuses on the interior.  The only space I recall having floor to ceiling windows was in the buffet.  I love HAL's Crows Nest, Celebrity's Sky Lounge or RCI Viking Crown, but Regal had nothing like this. 

I don't usually book suites, but I didn't like how cramped my standard balcony cabin was and the fact it had no couch.  Also, the balcony was pathetic; the worst I've ever had.   I like to eat breakfast on my balcony but it wasn't possible here.  It sucks you have to book a mini suite to get what you do in standard rooms on other lines. 

And yes, the promenade sucks.  DW and I have a little ritual of walking around the promenade at night and of course, this isn't much of an option on Regal. 

Again....this is just my opinion of the ship.  I know others love her though.

My balcony:

enhance

• Like 1

I hope you enjoy all of your upcoming cruises!

We've only cruised with RCCL, and our favorite ship classes are Freedom and Navigator. We love both sizes and like that they are a balance between activities available and a relaxing ship. We enjoyed our time on Symphony, but found it to be a bit too many people for us.

3 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I will say that buffet was impressive; probably the best I've seen on any ship. 

My biggest beef with the ship was the lack of a lounge with panoramic views.  The entire ship focuses on the interior.  The only space I recall having floor to ceiling windows was in the buffet.  I love HAL's Crows Nest, Celebrity's Sky Lounge or RCI Viking Crown, but Regal had nothing like this. 

I don't usually book suites, but I didn't like how cramped my standard balcony cabin was and the fact it had no couch.  Also, the balcony was pathetic; the worst I've ever had.   I like to eat breakfast on my balcony but it wasn't possible here.  It sucks you have to book a mini suite to get what you do in standard rooms on other lines. 

And yes, the promenade sucks.  DW and I have a little ritual of walking around the promenade at night and of course, this isn't much of an option on Regal. 

Again....this is just my opinion of the ship.  I know others love her though.

My balcony:

enhance

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I agree that the HAL Crow’s Nest is fantastic.  I was on the Zaandam to Alaska ten years ago and I did love that.  I also had a sofa in an interior cabin on the Zaandam, which was impressive.    

I think all ships have pros and cons, definitely.  I think the fact that on the Regal I didn’t have to wander around the breakfast buffet endlessly to find a seat made a big impression on me. It was refreshing to get my food and find a table by the window. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  

On 6/11/2019 at 7:25 PM, antmaril said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I agree that the HAL Crow’s Nest is fantastic.  I was on the Zaandam to Alaska ten years ago and I did love that.  I also had a sofa in an interior cabin on the Zaandam, which was impressive.    

I think all ships have pros and cons, definitely.  I think the fact that on the Regal I didn’t have to wander around the breakfast buffet endlessly to find a seat made a big impression on me. It was refreshing to get my food and find a table by the window. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  

We are considering Princess, because of itinerary not offered on Celebrity.  According to their website, there are 3 levels of balcony.  Can you tell me what level balcony you were in.  These balconies are from Sky Princess, a new ship debuting 2019.

Thanks

Tom 

Premium Deluxe Balcony

Choose this premium option of a Balcony stateroom with a larger balcony to take in the spectacular views.

yp_bd_photo.jpg
Balcony Deluxe

Enjoy this enhanced version of a Balcony stateroom with more space, a comfortable sofa bed and a larger balcony to take in the spectacular views.

yp_bb_photo.jpg
Balcony

9 hours ago, Tom47 said:

We are considering Princess, because of itinerary not offered on Celebrity.  According to their website, there are 3 levels of balcony.  Can you tell me what level balcony you were in.  These balconies are from Sky Princess, a new ship debuting 2019.

Thanks

Tom 

Premium Deluxe Balcony

Choose this premium option of a Balcony stateroom with a larger balcony to take in the spectacular views.

yp_bd_photo.jpg
Balcony Deluxe

Enjoy this enhanced version of a Balcony stateroom with more space, a comfortable sofa bed and a larger balcony to take in the spectacular views.

yp_bb_photo.jpg
Balcony

I had a mini-suite on the Regal (B414) both times and I have a mini-suite booked for our Sky Princess Cruise in January, 2020.  If I were to choose a balcony cabin, I would want one with a sofa in the cabin.  Here is a photo of the mini-suite we had.  This picture was taken before the room steward had a chance to separate the beds.  We had requested twins, but it wasn’t done when we got there.  D4FAB6E9-63B7-4A8E-8F1E-800778BF9C27.thumb.jpeg.9bab3da90564b2daff64ba37e3c4f26b.jpeg

Edited by antmaril

2 hours ago, antmaril said:

I had a mini-suite on the Regal (B414) both times and I have a mini-suite booked for our Sky Princess Cruise in January, 2020.  If I were to choose a balcony cabin, I would want one with a sofa in the cabin.  Here is a photo of the mini-suite we had.  This picture was taken before the room steward had a chance to separate the beds.  We had requested twins, but it wasn’t done when we got there.  D4FAB6E9-63B7-4A8E-8F1E-800778BF9C27.thumb.jpeg.9bab3da90564b2daff64ba37e3c4f26b.jpeg

Thanks for the picture.  Our cruise will not be until 2021, so we have time.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 6:27 AM, UrbanGirlie said:

Cruisers-

in an effort to decipher MY favorite cruise line & ship, I was wondering if you all would be so gracious to list yours and why? I have been on 14 cruises thus far with 9 planned through 2021:

Carnival (can’t remember ship name )  Bahamas 1988

Carnival Elation Key West/Cozumel 2006

Holland America Ryndam Caribbean 2014 

Azamara Journey Greece/Turkey 2015 

Viking Emerald China 2016 (River)

Paul Gauguin Ms. Paul Gauguin French Polynesia 2016

Hurtigruten Polarlys Norway 2016 

Holland America Oosterdam Alaska 2017

Windstar Star Legend Iceland 2017

Holland America Veendam Cuba 2017

Avalon Poetry II France 2018 (River)

Celebrity Summit  Bermuda 2018

Norwegian Jade Panama Canal 2018

Uncruise Safari Endeavor  Baja del Sur, Mexico 2019

My ‘problem’ is I want to try everything and can’t decide weather to cruise for line/ship or neither and stick with new destinations, which is a requirement. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Why didn't you list "why"?

6 minutes ago, clo said:

Why didn't you list "why"?

Not sure I understand the question? Why I didn’t list my favorite?  If that is the question the simple answer is ‘I don’t know’ 😽 still TBD I guess!

• 1 month later...

I'll need to keep saving to match your list, OP, but the ships very much have all their own personalities to me. It seems that the trick is to match the needs and personalities of the group you're travelling with to the ship you're using.

My most recent cruise was the first off the big ships. But there also wasn't anyone with me who was going to be demanding a midnight snack, or want to find a dance party at night. It was an entirely different experience that I'd do again... with certain travelling companions only.