Australia Cruisetour

Maui Girl

We are doing a 6 day land tour with Princess prior to a New Zealand cruise.  Booked for March 2020 and it has shown as sold out for a long time. Just curious, how many people are in the group for the land tour?  Is it a full bus load of 45 people or so?  With one guide I assume?  This is Sydney/Cairns/ Ayers Rock/Sydney.    Just wondering if some of our Princess cruisers have some tips or more information on this part of the trip from past experience.  Thanks for any info! 

A bus from Sydney to Cairns to Ayers Rock and back to Sydney in six days would be a sight to see.😀

Although I do understand you mean the tour bus for when you get to each destination.

I'm not suggesting you change your plans, but if you have six days to spend in Sydney, Cairns and Ayers Rock. Don't.

Spend those six days at either of Sydney, Ayers Rock (aka Uluru) or Cairns.

Going between those places is like taking a six day tour that covers New York, Florida, Montana and then back to New York. It can be done, but should it be done?

Yes, it certainly won't be a bus trip all the way. Just to give you an idea of the distances Sydney to Cairns is around the same distance by road as New Orleans to Boston, or a three hour flight.

It's been a while since we did the Princess Australia land tour, but our overall experience was very positive. We stayed in high end hotels. Our guide was exceptional (gratuity expected). Our trip had 39 including the guide. We packed one normal 30 inch suitcase and one airline carry on each. The large suitcase was turned over to the tour agent at the start of the tour and was in our cabin when we boarded. The carry on went on the land tour. We also had small back packs. Be prepared for long flights. 4 to 5 hours Sydney to Cairns, 4 to 5 hours Cairns to Ayres Rock, another 4 to 5 hours Ayres Rock to Sydney to board the ship. Our flight to Australia was L.A. to Melbourne and then Melbourne to Sydney. We had a two night stopover in Melbourne and then another two nights in Sydney before meeting the tour operator. I would recommend this. Flying in the day you meet the tour would be very tiring. Expect long days. There is lots to see. Expect you are going to the Barrier Reef. Take sea sick pills. It's a long boat ride from Port Douglass, maybe 3 to 4 hours if I remember correctly, and the boat goes very fast. When we did the tour it was the last of the season. We then boarded the ship and sailed 31 days back to L.A.  Overall Fascinating.

Edited by skynight

12 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

A bus from Sydney to Cairns to Ayers Rock and back to Sydney in six days would be a sight to see.😀

Although I do understand you mean the tour bus for when you get to each destination.

I'm not suggesting you change your plans, but if you have six days to spend in Sydney, Cairns and Ayers Rock. Don't.

Spend those six days at either of Sydney, Ayers Rock (aka Uluru) or Cairns.

Going between those places is like taking a six day tour that covers New York, Florida, Montana and then back to New York. It can be done, but should it be done?

😂 yes that would be a sight to see, impossible for sure!    We are flying from Sydney to Cairns and Ayers Rock and back to Sydney obviously, my question was just related to how many people will be in our “ group “ with one tour guide.   It would be nice if our transportation method in each specific location was a 16-20 passenger mini-bus instead of a large one.  In my dreams, haha!    

I realize that we are going to be rushed on the 6 day tour, but we are doing an extra 3 days in Sydney prior to meeting up with the tour.  

Thank you skynight,  the size of the group was mainly what I was curious about.  It sounds very similar to an Alaska cruisetour, except hours spent on planes instead of trains.  Early mornings and long busy days.  We are flying into Sydney early, will have most of three days to recover from the jet lag and see some sights before the tour.  

It sounds like you went in March also, I assume the weather in Australia should still be fairly warm everywhere?   Not sure how cold it might get in New Zealand mid-March

Warm in Sydney, comfortable. Hot and tropical in Cairns/Port Douglas and Ayres Rock. At Ayres Rock we stayed at Sails in the Desert. It was difficult to walk in the sunny areas, strong sun. In Port Douglas we stayed in what is now the Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort. We needed head nets for the flies at The Olgas. They don't bite, but swarm around for the moisture on your skin. You may want to bring some along. You will need a hat. Although the Sheraton is on the beach, you can't go into the ocean, because of the box jelly fish. They are super deadly with just one sting. The hotel's pools are great and safe. At the barrier reef to go snorkeling they will provide you with a full body suit. No exposed skin. March is the start of the dry season up north, what's called the top end.

It was chilly in the NZ fiords, light jacket required. Also cool going around the southern tip of NZ. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, skynight said:

It's been a while since we did the Princess Australia land tour, but our overall experience was very positive. We stayed in high end hotels. Our guide was exceptional (gratuity expected). Our trip had 39 including the guide. We packed one normal 30 inch suitcase and one airline carry on each. The large suitcase was turned over to the tour agent at the start of the tour and was in our cabin when we boarded. The carry on went on the land tour. We also had small back packs. Be prepared for long flights. 4 to 5 hours Sydney to Cairns, 4 to 5 hours Cairns to Ayres Rock, another 4 to 5 hours Ayres Rock to Sydney to board the ship. Our flight to Australia was L.A. to Melbourne and then Melbourne to Sydney. We had a two night stopover in Melbourne and then another two nights in Sydney before meeting the tour operator. I would recommend this. Flying in the day you meet the tour would be very tiring. Expect long days. There is lots to see. Expect you are going to the Barrier Reef. Take sea sick pills. It's a long boat ride from Port Douglass, maybe 3 to 4 hours if I remember correctly, and the boat goes very fast. When we did the tour it was the last of the season. We then boarded the ship and sailed 31 days back to L.A.  Overall Fascinating.

Interesting on the "gratuity expected" note.  I have been on several non-cruise multi day tours in Australia with  the majority of the people on the tour being from Australia.  In fact, my wife and I and another couple were the only non-Australians on the tour.  To avoid being the ugly American, we asked the Australians if a gratuity was expected.  They all said that the tour guides were well paid so none was expected except that the guides would be happy to drink beer w us.  So we paid our gratuity in beer and everyone was happy.  I did notice that the other American couple did tip.

I guess that Princess which probably has many Americans on the tour is probably underpaying the guides and telling all the Americans who are probably ignorant of Australian tipping rules that a gratuity is expected.   Wonder what any of the Australians on the tour did.

DON

9 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Interesting on the "gratuity expected" note.  I have been on several non-cruise multi day tours in Australia with  the majority of the people on the tour being from Australia.  In fact, my wife and I and another couple were the only non-Australians on the tour.  To avoid being the ugly American, we asked the Australians if a gratuity was expected.  They all said that the tour guides were well paid so none was expected except that the guides would be happy to drink beer w us.  So we paid our gratuity in beer and everyone was happy.  I did notice that the other American couple did tip.

I guess that Princess which probably has many Americans on the tour is probably underpaying the guides and telling all the Americans who are probably ignorant of Australian tipping rules that a gratuity is expected.   Wonder what any of the Australians on the tour did.

DON

They aren’t underpaying guides, Australia has strict minimum wage laws and penalties are strict, however Princess make some ridiculous tipping recommendations, ie one cruise they were putting in the patter that restaurants on land expect 15-20% in Aus and NZ

22 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

They aren’t underpaying guides, Australia has strict minimum wage laws and penalties are strict, however Princess make some ridiculous tipping recommendations, ie one cruise they were putting in the patter that restaurants on land expect 15-20% in Aus and NZ

Agreed wholeheartedly. 👍

The Princess land tour would be operated by a tour company that contracts with Princess who would have no input into the payment of the guides.

52 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Agreed wholeheartedly. 👍

The Princess land tour would be operated by a tour company that contracts with Princess who would have no input into the payment of the guides.

I have read that tipping is not a common thing in Australia and that’s great. However, it’s interesting that the last item on the agenda of the tour, before we leave the hotel for the ship is a meeting to discuss/pay gratuity’s !   And you are correct, it is a contracted tour company.  So, we’re Americans, we just deserve to overpay, or what?? 😂🙄

12 minutes ago, Maui Girl said:

I have read that tipping is not a common thing in Australia and that’s great. However, it’s interesting that the last item on the agenda of the tour, before we leave the hotel for the ship is a meeting to discuss/pay gratuity’s !   And you are correct, it is a contracted tour company.  So, we’re Americans, we just deserve to overpay, or what?? 😂🙄

Well I’ve not own any wo knock back a tip when it’s offered, and your countrymen have set a standard of even after being told it’s not the custom, insist on doing so, so it’s really not surprising that some have come to expect it.

i tip taxi drivers by rounding up, more for my benefit than theirs. I might also round up in a restaurant, especially if it’s a largish group.

Edited by GUT2407
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Maui Girl said:

You are correct in saying that tipping is not usual in Australia. You would be stunned if you knew how much the guide and driver are paid. One of the regular posters on this forum is a driver at Uluru (Ayers Rock). I seem to recall that he said his annual pay is in the vicinity of $150,000 but keep in mind that is not US$. I would probably equate it with $100,000.

If the guide had a group of Aussies, he/she would not expect tips and might receive nominal amounts from some of the people on the tour. Dare I suggest that the guide feels that he/she stands a good chance of getting tips from people who are used to tipping as part of daily life. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Well I’ve not own any wo knock back a tip when it’s offered, and your countrymen have set a standard of even after being told it’s not the custom, insist on doing so, so it’s really not surprising that some have come to expect it.

i tip taxi drivers by rounding up, more for my benefit than theirs. I might also round up in a restaurant, especially if it’s a largish group.

A year or two ago we had a taxi driver who refused a tip. He said he earned enough as it was.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

A year or two ago we had a taxi driver who refused a tip. He said he earned enough as it was.

Sorry phat fingers and some vision issues, what I meant to write was not known MANY to knock them back. Ive known some too, my dad would be horrified at the very thought of accepting anything he didn’t think he had earned. When I Worked in hospitality I always knocked them back too.

but most will take them, some tours are run by volunteer groups (especially in small ports where it’s more a shuttle between attractions) and will have a box for tips.

Most of us on the tour from what I saw provided a gratuity for the excellent hosted 8 day service. We were grateful for the service. To me it does not matter what the guide's base salary is. It isn't part of my thinking. Provide or don't provide it's up to you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Sorry phat fingers and some vision issues, what I meant to write was not known MANY to knock them back. Ive known some too, my dad would be horrified at the very thought of accepting anything he didn’t think he had earned. When I Worked in hospitality I always knocked them back too.

but most will take them, some tours are run by volunteer groups (especially in small ports where it’s more a shuttle between attractions) and will have a box for tips.

Don't worry. 🙂 I worked out what you meant to say.

2 hours ago, skynight said:

Most of us on the tour from what I saw provided a gratuity for the excellent hosted 8 day service. We were grateful for the service. To me it does not matter what the guide's base salary is. It isn't part of my thinking. Provide or don't provide it's up to you.

The problem is that it's an importation of a practice that is not needed nor wanted here. Every time you tip, it entrenches that practice just a little bit more.

What you do on your vacation in a different country has impacts that extend beyond that vacation.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

What would you expect from Princess - accurate information?

DON

2 hours ago, skynight said:

Seems to me that the idea would be for people to follow the practices of the country they are visiting and not the country they come from.  But maybe I am just naive.  The problem is that when we throw our money around, the people in the tourist trade come to expect it which just ruins the wonderful tip-free environment of many of the countries in the world.  

DON

Not sure how my questions about the group tour with Princess got totally derailed into a discussion about tipping, but I do appreciate the answers and thoughts. 😉

I kind of get both sides of that issue, Aussies are rightfully proud that their wages are such that tipping isn’t necessary and tourist’s throwing extra money around could be detrimental.   But, if a tourist from Australia comes to the US, do you leave a 20% tip for your waiter at lunch?  Or do you leave nothing as you are accustomed to?  Sinbad is correct when he says it has an effect beyond just your vacation but that is true for everywhere.    

I’m just looking forward to seeing some of the fabulous sights down under and I’ll figure out the minor things when I get there.  

3 minutes ago, Maui Girl said:

Not sure how my questions about the group tour with Princess got totally derailed into a discussion about tipping, but I do appreciate the answers and thoughts. 😉

I kind of get both sides of that issue, Aussies are rightfully proud that their wages are such that tipping isn’t necessary and tourist’s throwing extra money around could be detrimental.   But, if a tourist from Australia comes to the US, do you leave a 20% tip for your waiter at lunch?  Or do you leave nothing as you are accustomed to?  Sinbad is correct when he says it has an effect beyond just your vacation but that is true for everywhere.    

I’m just looking forward to seeing some of the fabulous sights down under and I’ll figure out the minor things when I get there.  

Probably because skynight mentioned them (as being expected) and you said your tour had a meeting to discuss them, then people who live here asked you not too.