Carnival Magic Seafood Shack?

taram999

It's a shame they got rid of the Tandor, delicious food and included in the price. So are there any ships left with Tandor or Taste Bar? What about fish and chips place? Other than the Blue Iguana, those places were my favorite non-MDR venues. 

I know Indian food isn't everyone's thing but I hardly ever see anyone at the Seafood Shack when I've sailed. I split a lobster roll with my son and it wasn't very good. We're usually just happy to be eating lobster but there was something off about it. The lobster BLT sounds intriguing. 

17 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

For me, i would rather pay for the Seafood Shack then eat free at Guys burgers. 😁

Guys burgers were awesome when it first started and then progressively got bad. Started nice and thick and super juicy. I think it was on the Liberty 2012. No longer. I have them make me a burger and ask them. Please do not squash it when frying. The problem still is. That grill is so very hot. They burn quick. I have them do it on the far end of the grill. On one of the Carnival ships the burgers were so thin and charred you crack them and you could actually see through them. I am not making this up. I sent an email to Guy and to Carnival. I was told to let them make me one. Last time they were better. But nothing like when it started. Our last Carnival cruise was on the Conquest for Halloween last year. Doubt if anything has changed since then.

On 6/9/2019 at 11:20 AM, havanadaydreaming said:

I'm looking forward to the Seafood Shack, i'll probably splurge on some oysters and the lobstah roll.  I'm a big seafood fan so this is a fantastic addition in my book.  (disclosure: never tried the Tandoor and probably never would, but I recognize many folks probably enjoyed that too)

I was looking forward to the lobster roll, until I saw they charged $12! Forget that! 

3 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Guys burgers were awesome when it first started and then progressively got bad. Started nice and thick and super juicy. I think it was on the Liberty 2012. No longer. I have them make me a burger and ask them. Please do not squash it when frying. The problem still is. That grill is so very hot. They burn quick. I have them do it on the far end of the grill. On one of the Carnival ships the burgers were so thin and charred you crack them and you could actually see through them. I am not making this up. I sent an email to Guy and to Carnival. I was told to let them make me one. Last time they were better. But nothing like when it started. Our last Carnival cruise was on the Conquest for Halloween last year. Doubt if anything has changed since then.

The burgers never changed. They were never thick and juicy, and never meant to be. Pressing with a heavy weight is Guy's style on the ship. Yes, the grill is hot and they are meant to be slightly charred. I don't think I ever saw a cook make a burger to order, especially MR as someone suggested earlier. This cooking style is all about speed and quantity. 

14 hours ago, coevan said:

The burgers never changed. They were never thick and juicy, and never meant to be. Pressing with a heavy weight is Guy's style on the ship. Yes, the grill is hot and they are meant to be slightly charred. I don't think I ever saw a cook make a burger to order, especially MR as someone suggested earlier. This cooking style is all about speed and quantity. 

Sorry to disappoint you. The burgers DID change and a lot. Obviously you were never on a ship in the beginning. They were so juicy you had it all over your hands. They were considerably thicker. You are incorrect. They made balls of meat and put them on the grill and did flatten them to a burger. NEVER squashing them so thin you could see through them. Now they are OK in the middle and thin out at the edges and burnt. 46 Carnival cruises and I like burgers. Yes they do make them to order. Next time ask for one.

I love the Seafood Shack!  I always go once or twice during my cruise, and always get the same thing:  clam chowder and fried clams!  So yummy!

I for one am happy to see the switch to the Seafood Shack as I am not one for Indian food.  But that is just me.  My kids love it, I just never developed a taste for it.

As for the cost, I do not believe the prices are outrageous or gouging. I think they are pretty reasonable for the size of the dishes they give you!

I (vastly) prefer the smaller ships - all but one of my cruises has been on a Fantasy class, and I plan to keep it that way as long as I can. But I do wish they had some of the pay food venues. I know it's a space-allocation issue, but I would happily pay a few bucks for the Seafood Shack for lunch, Steakhouse for dinner, etc. As much as I loved the Taste Bar, the tiny sushi bar is great with an Alchemy drink for cocktail hour!

I was on a ship that had Tandor and tried it because it was free.  But i never saw anyone else there.  The seafood shack is reasonably priced at $5-7 per item (the cost of a cocktail), which includes fish and chips (for those who don't eat shell fish), and many things are made to order.  The portions are above average in size and they give you a pager.  My only complaint is that the "chips" are really just french fries.

On 6/9/2019 at 7:44 PM, jimbo5544 said:

We all know that NCL is the KING of nickel and Dime and RCCL is second, but a valiant try none the less....

Just curious so I can make use of it, but what is free on Carnival that isn't on other lines?  I get guys burgers, and royal does not have a free burger joint, but does have other free venues.  I know NCL has an irish pub that is free as well, which I am pretty sure neither of the others have.

I have not been on NCL, and have only been on a couple of rci cruises, but I did not see a big difference in what was free vs what was not across the board.

9 hours ago, rukkian said:

Just curious so I can make use of it, but what is free on Carnival that isn't on other lines?  I get guys burgers, and royal does not have a free burger joint, but does have other free venues.  I know NCL has an irish pub that is free as well, which I am pretty sure neither of the others have.

I have not been on NCL, and have only been on a couple of rci cruises, but I did not see a big difference in what was free vs what was not across the board.

There are many posts on NCL and nickel and diming, I will not degrade this thread further other to say, from my perspective of the few days I spent on Bliss, it is the number of opportunities to take your money.  Their marketing plan openly touts that.  

Thank you so much.  I saw that the Seafood Shack was listed in the website, but not on the deck plan.  Now I understand they replaced Tandoor with the Seafood Shack.  That makes me SO happy.   Not a fan of Indian food at all, and my husband is allergic to shellfish, so we don't eat it at home.  Can not wait for the friend clams and friend shrimp.  I think the prices are very reasonable and the portion sizes are good.   So excited!! 

On 6/8/2019 at 1:25 PM, havanadaydreaming said:

There definitely is, we just booked Sept Magic cruise and it was listed. 

not sure where it is, i'm sure folks will help out shortly.  I've only seen one seafood shack on CCL and it was in a weird spot, up a stairwell from part of the buffet seating area if i remember correctly. 

We are going in Sept as well!  Only 101 more days for me! 

On 6/8/2019 at 1:39 PM, PortSideCruzan said:

Hi taram999 ☺️

On Carnival Magic the Seafood Shack is on Lido deck 10 aft.

Carnival Magic deck plans @: https://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-magic.aspx

🌴

That's the deck plan I looked at.  It shows Tandoor.  Which I now know is the Seafood Shack. 

On 6/13/2019 at 7:32 AM, taram999 said:

That's the deck plan I looked at.  It shows Tandoor.  Which I now know is the Seafood Shack. 

Hi taram999 ☺️

Take a peek at the deck plans again. It does list Seafood Shack at deck 10 aft. Not the Tandoor. Seafood Shack is shown adjacent to Pizzeria Del Capitano, below.

8003928b-7765-4b6a-aa82-76ebb8c961e2-ori

Carnival Magic deck plans @:

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-magic.aspx

🌴