On Board Credits for Veterans

Our first cruise on a regent ship and was wondering if they offer OBCs to Vets? Guess every little bit helps even though Regent is pretty all-inclusive (we are on the Navigator to Canada in Sep 2020). Was reading a lot of the recent postings on this website with regard to Regent and the Navigator, and found a few "concerns" about the mobility of seniors. Some were valid and some were a bit off. I am a senior who is relatively mobile physically, but my mental mobility is sometimes questionable according to my wife. I did notice that many of the photos of the Navigator on this website could do with a reality check as most of the seniors shown appear quite distracted, grumpy, or otherwise spaced-out.

No they do not but several luxury TA's that book Regent regularly give OBC's but not specifically for veterans.  Not only do they provide OBC's on some sailings, they give a percentage back on your cruise fare on every cruise.  Regent does have occasional promotions where they provide OBC's for all passengers.

In terms of disabled passengers, you see this more on certain cruises (particularly "local" ones for the people in the U.S. and transatlantic cruises).  It is rare that we find a "distracted, grumpy or otherwise spaced-out" passengers.

The only time I really see grumpy passengers is when a person (of any age) books an excursion that is above their physical ability which holds back everyone else on the excursion. Other than that, Regent cruisers are a mellow but happy bunch. 

Enjoy your cruise. 😄

Edited by Travelcat2

4 hours ago, Fairfield Nana said:

Our first cruise on a regent ship and was wondering if they offer OBCs to Vets? Guess every little bit helps even though Regent is pretty all-inclusive (we are on the Navigator to Canada in Sep 2020). Was reading a lot of the recent postings on this website with regard to Regent and the Navigator, and found a few "concerns" about the mobility of seniors. Some were valid and some were a bit off. I am a senior who is relatively mobile physically, but my mental mobility is sometimes questionable according to my wife. I did notice that many of the photos of the Navigator on this website could do with a reality check as most of the seniors shown appear quite distracted, grumpy, or otherwise spaced-out.

Can't answer the veteran question, but I might be able to address the mobility concerns.

I'm moderately mobility challenged -- I have breathing issues plus some joint degeneration that require that I move slowly and carefully.  I don't use mobility aids -- I can get around OK without them as long as I don't have to rush.  I'm also a brain tumor survivor with some slight balance (and occasional short-term memory) issues.  None of these challenges require a caretaker, I always have my doctors' clearances before I travel, and I'm totally independent as long as I take my time and carefully assess the challenges vs my abilities.  

My first cruise on the Mariner last fall proved that it was an excellent match.  The ship is small enough that I can get around fairly easily --- I still have to take my time, but that's not a problem given the smaller number of passengers.  If I'm having an "off" day, I can just hang out in my cabin and enjoy the view from my veranda with a glass of wine and a good book.  I refuse to be "that person" who slows down a shore excursion due to mobility challenges, so I rarely book excursions ahead of time, preferring to make my own way once we get into port.  I travel solo, so looking out for myself is a given always.

The bottom line: I know my limitations and I find that RSSC makes it easy to fully enjoy the shipboard experience while still allowing me the flexibility to manage my challenges without interference or embarrassment.  I've also cruised Holland America, a line well experienced in dealing with older passengers, and I found RSSC to be even better in terms of gentle discreet accommodation.  

Lana in Bellingham, WA

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fairfield Nana said:

I did notice that many of the photos of the Navigator on this website could do with a reality check as most of the seniors shown appear quite distracted, grumpy, or otherwise spaced-out.

The obvious question is, given what you say you have noticed, why are you sailing on the Navigator?  

Easy-- I rarely ever unquestionably believe what I see or hear on the computer or TV, including all the political stuff from both sides. Merely meant that Regent may be doing themselves a disservice with many of the photos they include of current passengers on Navigator. I am a retired marketing guy, and if you want your customers to have an opinion of your product you have to pay attention to how you present it. Look for yourself at these photos in comparison to the pro shots elsewhere on the Regent website. They don't reflect the majority of comments on this webs about Navigator--which are quite positive. Just my opinion.

Edited by Fairfield Nana

8 hours ago, Fairfield Nana said:

Easy-- I rarely ever unquestionably believe what I see or hear on the computer or TV, including all the political stuff from both sides. Merely meant that Regent may be doing themselves a disservice with many of the photos they include of current passengers on Navigator. I am a retired marketing guy, and if you want your customers to have an opinion of your product you have to pay attention to how you present it. Look for yourself at these photos in comparison to the pro shots elsewhere on the Regent website. They don't reflect the majority of comments on this webs about Navigator--which are quite positive. Just my opinion.

I'm confused - where are the grumpy people?  If you're talking about photos on Cruise Critic, well, Regent doesn't have any say on those photos, and frankly, most photos I've seen posted here are full of pretty happy people.  The Regent brochures and website show the paid models who do NOT accurately represent the normal Regent passengers.  But I don't see any of them looking grumpy, either.

:classic_unsure:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

I'm confused - where are the grumpy people?  If you're talking about photos on Cruise Critic, well, Regent doesn't have any say on those photos, and frankly, most photos I've seen posted here are full of pretty happy people.  The Regent brochures and website show the paid models who do NOT accurately represent the normal Regent passengers.  But I don't see any of them looking grumpy, either.

:classic_unsure:

Hi Bill!  My thoughts exactly.  I have no idea where the OP is seeing pictures of "these grumpy, distracted, spaced-out people"?  I've certainly not seen any "grumpy people pictures" on these Regent threads.  Are we just not looking in the right place/s?  Regards

Call me confused as well. Very rarely posters post  pictures here on the Regent message board. When they do its mostly pictures of places, or of the ship. Maybe the OP can provide a link to what he's referring to. 

• Like 1

I remember Wes posting a few from a recent cruise, and pretty much every person in every pic was smiling and flashing the trademark 'thumbs up' for the camera. 

I did see a whale picture last year where the whale didn't look all that happy...     🐳

Edited by UUNetBill
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I remember Wes posting a few from a recent cruise, and pretty much every person in every pic was smiling and flashing the trademark 'thumbs up' for the camera. 

I did see a whale picture last year where the whale didn't look all that happy...     🐳

omg - please don't talk about the thumbs up photos....... they drive me crazy.  A nice photo with smiles is nice but thumbs up photos look so phony to me.  Just my humble opinion.  Perhaps a bottoms up photo would at at least be funny😊

• Thanks 1

Wow-- didn't mean to get so many of you all riled up! Sorry about that. I am booked on the Navigator, totally looking forward to it, and have really enjoyed and benefited from the majority of the comments I've read on this site. I was just commenting upon many of the photos you can view at the top of the Navigator ship review on this link. Hope most of the commenters thus far have done this. If not, no further comment is forthcoming by me on this topic. Not a big deal.

2 hours ago, Fairfield Nana said:

Wow-- didn't mean to get so many of you all riled up! Sorry about that. I am booked on the Navigator, totally looking forward to it, and have really enjoyed and benefited from the majority of the comments I've read on this site. I was just commenting upon many of the photos you can view at the top of the Navigator ship review on this link. Hope most of the commenters thus far have done this. If not, no further comment is forthcoming by me on this topic. Not a big deal.

Well, even if you didnt meant to you did a good job of raising , ahem, comments. I still dont see that Navigator ship review you refer to, weird . If you dont feel like offering a proper link to it, so be it. I'll have to take your word for it, although its getting tougher to do . Have a nice cruise, enjoy the "grumpies"!!

As a retired Army Vet--28 years' service--respectfully ask further contributions to this Thread remain on topic. 

The discussion should focus as to whether Regent offers OBCs to Veterans. or a similar benefit by reduction in the basic cruise fare.  Answer, at this point, to both queries is no.   

From personal experience:  Cunard  does.  It took submitting several documents, including  a DD 214 (Vets will get this), and another document, which I no longer recall, via my TA to Cunard.   Bottom line:  $200.00 deducted from cruise fare for that 08-09/2016 btb cruise.  Also noted Cunard had a recognition event during one segment for Vets, which encompassed all elements of the British Empire (Commonwealth) Forces, plus us Yanks.  'Kilts and all.  Memorable.     

This comment also reflects a very recent memory.  One month ago--as part of a series of river boat excursions throughout France.  Specifically, day-long visit at Normandy.  Utah and Omaha Beaches; Pointe du Hoc; Sainte Mere Eglise town and Military Museums (within the 82nd Airborne Division's drop-zone on 6 June, 1944);  and most-poignant--American Cemetery above Omaha Beach.  Again, a recognition ceremony for vets at a Monument on Omaha Beach.  Had the opportunity to join the three other vets in our tour group present a wreath,  with  full military honors. 

75 years ago.  Never forget the sacrifice.     

So--simply ask any further contributors PLEASE stay on this thread's topic.  I have, in the past, asked Regent to consider offering  a similar benefit for vets, particularly if a specific cruise segment includes visits to historic military sites.  So-far, no luck. 

Best,  GOARMY!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

omg - please don't talk about the thumbs up photos....... they drive me crazy.  A nice photo with smiles is nice but thumbs up photos look so phony to me.  Just my humble opinion.  Perhaps a bottoms up photo would at at least be funny😊

Hahahah!  Finally found a grumpy person!!   LOL!!

Just kidding, Jackie.  Couldn't resist.   :classic_biggrin:

6 hours ago, GOARMY said:

As a retired Army Vet--28 years' service--respectfully ask further contributions to this Thread remain on topic. 

The discussion should focus as to whether Regent offers OBCs to Veterans. or a similar benefit by reduction in the basic cruise fare.  Answer, at this point, to both queries is no.   

From personal experience:  Cunard  does.  It took submitting several documents, including  a DD 214 (Vets will get this), and another document, which I no longer recall, via my TA to Cunard.   Bottom line:  $200.00 deducted from cruise fare for that 08-09/2016 btb cruise.  Also noted Cunard had a recognition event during one segment for Vets, which encompassed all elements of the British Empire (Commonwealth) Forces, plus us Yanks.  'Kilts and all.  Memorable.     

I was going to mention Cunard - it was a nice gesture on their part.  I knew about the credit when we sailed with them but I didn't know about the on-board event or I'd have brought my miniature medals at least.  It was nice spending time with so many other vets from other branches and other nations.  Memorable.

9 hours ago, Fairfield Nana said:

Fairfield Nana - I can't speak for everyone, but I wasn't 'riled up' - I was mostly just curious where you'd seen the photos in question.  No big deal for me, either.  Just idle curiosity.   :classic_smile:

GOARMY,

You are correct that Cunard offers the onboard spend credit for veterans, British, Canadian, Australian and United States.  We've taken advantage of it a number of times.  The amount is based on the length of the sailing.  You do have to submit the request form and documentation each time you travel and well in advance.

RSS doesn't offer this program.

We've used the credit for a good bottle of wine or a massage.  It's a nice perk.  

Reviewing Orvil's post occasioned me to go back into the garage files and retrieve a file retained regarding that 2016 Cunard cruise.  In the interests of accuracy--and hoping that Regent might consider this benefit in the future:  

My TA directed me to a Cunard website.  Downloaded a  "Military Personnel Benefit Request Form".  This applied to Active, Retired, and Veterans with a Honorable Discharge passengers already-booked on a particular cruise.  Specific instructions were given to applicants, depending on their country of Military Service, as to required documentation.   Of course, a caution was given to Americans to "ensure that the Social Security Number has been "blacked out and not visible".  Without getting too far into the weeds, I provided a copy of my (redacted) DD214, together with copies of three other similarly-redacted  Retirement-related Forms--and the completed Benefit Request Form--to Cunard's Booking Support Department. 

Based on number of days, a $100.00 Onboard Credit was given for each cruise segment. 

Retained the above record in the event we sail again on Cunard. 

We have several Regent cruises on the horizon--next one this August-September aboard Explorer.  I will continue making gentle nudges to management to consider a similar program.

GOARMY!

GoArmy,  I applaud and appreciate your effort to get OBC's established for Veterans!   My husband is a Vietnam vet (USMC).

Regent does recognize Veterans on Veterans' Day, as we learned two years ago on the Navigator.  We attended a very nice service conducted by the CD, and it was well attended.  However, a small monetary credit would be wonderful!  Every little bit certainly helps.

And, by the way, Princess also has a Veterans OBC program.  I don't know about any of the other big mainstream lines.

Thank you again!🙂

Sheltieluv:  Thanks for the additional information regarding Princess.  Last sailed on that Line about 20 years ago.  Did not inquire about a Veterans' credit perk.  

This would be the appropriate Thread for others to advise if major Lines,  in addition to Princess and Cunard, offer a similar program.  

As I recall, Cunard did not go out of its way to advertise this benefit.  My  current (for the last 10 years) TA brought it to my attention, knowing of my Vet status.  

GOARMY!

I would think (hope) that mainstream and some premium cruise lines would have benefits and/or fare reductions for veterans since they are probably the line that they would love to take their families on.  The reality is that a high  percentage of veterans are trying just to support themselves and their families and cannot afford a cruise.

Since Cunard is really a mainstream cruise line with luxury areas, I can see why they offer a small OBC.  And, it just occurred to me that both Cunard and Princess are both under the Carnival umbrella so maybe there are other cruise lines that offer benefits.

While I would love to see all veterans receive something for their service, it would be my hope that the highest benefits/discounts are given to those that can can barely afford a cruise.  After all, NCL, Carnival and Royal Caribbean have entry level as well as mid and luxury lines so it would be easy to implement.  

Wouldn't it be great if every cruise line had a contest where the winner(s) had to donate the "free" cruise to a veteran and their family (1 cabin)?

We can only afford to cruise with Regent every 2 years, but I always ask my TA if an OBC for vets has been initiated since we last cruised.  (We could go with other lines, and cruise more often that way, but we prefer to wait/budget for Regent.)

It never hurts to ask if veterans receive any perks, because it's not something that's necessarily advertised by the cruiselines. 😉  

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

I would think (hope) that mainstream and some premium cruise lines would have benefits and/or fare reductions for veterans since they are probably the line that they would love to take their families on.  The reality is that a high  percentage of veterans are trying just to support themselves and their families and cannot afford a cruise.

How in the world would you know this?. This sounds so condescending. Are you also advising the Regent posters that happen to be veterans that you think they would be better off on supposedly lesser lines? This is what it sounds like.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheltieluv said:

We can only afford to cruise with Regent every 2 years, but I always ask my TA if an OBC for vets has been initiated since we last cruised.  (We could go with other lines, and cruise more often that way, but we prefer to wait/budget for Regent.)

It never hurts to ask if veterans receive any perks, because it's not something that's necessarily advertised by the cruiselines. 😉  

It is good to ask and I'm glad that you do!

O.K.  Before this Thread disintegrates into a back-and-forth--please let us remain on-task focused on Topic.  For what it is worth--while on that particular Cunard 2016 btb referenced above, Army Wife and I were at the "Premium" service level,  Butler and all.  'Enuf said for those familiar with Cunard's strictly-enforced service levels.

Again--Please exercise civility.  Stay focused.  Any more inputs for CCers as to experiences--on whatever Line from Tramp Steamer to 5+Stars--as to a Vet's Benefit?

GOARMY!

1 hour ago, GOARMY said:

O.K.  Before this Thread disintegrates into a back-and-forth--please let us remain on-task focused on Topic.  For what it is worth--while on that particular Cunard 2016 btb referenced above, Army Wife and I were at the "Premium" service level,  Butler and all.  'Enuf said for those familiar with Cunard's strictly-enforced service levels.

Again--Please exercise civility.  Stay focused.  Any more inputs for CCers as to experiences--on whatever Line from Tramp Steamer to 5+Stars--as to a Vet's Benefit?

GOARMY!

GOARMY - I believe that most of us are focused but Princess and Cunard have been brought up which is why I discussed benefits on non-luxury cruise lines.  Had those two cruise lines not been brought up, it likely would have been easier to stay on track (plus there are posters that would like to start an argument ....... posts that I am not willing to participate in).

So, now a question for you.  What level did you attain in the Army?  You certainly do not have to respond if you do not wish to as this is personal information (we respect anyone who serves our country and this includes the police and fire fighters).  

It is my belief - and I could be wrong - that the majority of people that served in our Armed Forces for the United States (and those in other countries) were not high level officers and did not retire from the service.  So, the assumption is that there are few (percentage wise) that can afford Regent.  It was for this reason that I suggested (rather strongly) that deeper benefits be offered to veterans on mainstream and/or premium cruise lines.   Truly hope that retired officers that cruise on Regent were not offended by my comments. 

P.S.  If you would like further clarification of my post, I'll be happy to discuss it with you in the computer room on Splendor (assuming that you and I will meet in there as we did on Explorer).  Unfortunately, there are some veterans that want to take advantage of the situation but I cannot (or will not) discuss this on CC.  BTW, hope that you vow renewal on Splendor will exceed your expectations.  My DH and I are doing a vow renewal at a Buddhist Temple in October for our 40th anniversary.  Just thought that it was time to do a spiritual rather than religious ceremony.

Edited by Travelcat2